Anyone used Intel's Warranty Program?

Topic says it all. I built a real budget desktop for my mom 2 years ago and we used a celeron 346 socket 775. I tried one of my E6300's and her machine works just fine, so I just need to get it replaced, is it a big deal w/ Intel?

Wow. I honestly have never had an Intel processor fail under warranty, unless it was due to my own stupidity. I can't imagine but Intel standing by their product 100%. I'll be interested to know how this comes out.

(disregarding crazy overclocking overvoltage Vcore and lightening hits that typically take out the whole board) in 10+ years hanging round here you might be the first that appears to have a "normally" failed cpu.

I bet Intel would replace it in a flash just so the guys in Failure Analysis have to come out of there commas and actually do something.

To answer you question - no clue or even how to begin - I would search intel.com for "processor warranty" .

You shouldn't get a replacement under warranty, you should tell Intel you have a failed CPU that been running in spec, and in normal environment(No OC, No high vcore etc,) and see how much they will pay for that. Since it's so rear you might make a small fortune!

Well, since the PC is your Mom's, I'm sure it has been running stock since you built it, so it's just a matter of calling Intel that the CPU finally gave up and you need to RMA it.

Yeah, you won't have any problems with Intel. The guys here are right--it's exceptionally rare for an Intel CPU to fail under normal usage, and their engineers are going to want to take a look at it to see what happened. I would love to know, myself....

If they give you any problems (I sincerely doubt it, but you never can tell), let me know.

I think i had one die, it was a 423 original P4 and the board had a pile of blown caps around the cpu socket (motherboard was what caused the issue)
was a customers way back when i worked in a PC shop, either way intel had one there next day... but 4 years of computer junkie, 3 years as apc tech and now 8 years in IT that's the only intel cpu that ive seen go, cant say the same for amd, (tbirds... lawl)

300a @ 450 100 fsb
366 dual cpu bp6 @ 550 each

even those are still working for family long after ive abused them lol

Wow... you guys must not work on Dell systems at all. In the two years I was an onsite Dell tech, I saw at least 10 Intel P4 CPUs die... some socket 423 and some socket 775. I've even seen a couple that were DOA.

At my new job.. been here a bit over 6 months, I've seen 1 Intel CPU that has died.. also out of a Dell machine.

On the other hand.. I've never seen any Intel or AMD CPUs die that I personally owned except ones that died because of my experimenting.

I've had the misfortune of having two different Intel CPUs die under warranty; however, Intel didn't quibble about replacing either. As soon as they received the problem processor, they sent a new one out to me (UPS, too); I simply paid to ship the old one. Four-day turnaround time *at worst* (and not business days, either; this included a weekend).

It is precisely because of this experience that I will only buy retail Intel processors for my own use.

(Also, a welcome surprise; the new CPU's warranty starts when you install it, and is *not* cumulative with the previous processor! [In short, the warranty clock starts over.])

Intel - the processor (and Ethernet) inside.

Back