Anyone used CrashPlan?

I dont trust any of my data on a cloud server without the ability to encrypt data myself with my own passphrase

ie: if the host is compromised, my data is secure. if there is a court order, my data is unviewable

You can set Crashplan up this way. It just is not the default.

My initial experience with CrashPlan was excellent. I had no problem getting setup with their CrashPlan+ Family Unlimited Plan. This allows me to backup every computer I own and there are no silly limits on which drives the data has to be on. I knew going in that backing up TERABYTES of data over the internet would take a long long long time and well it did! It took MONTHS to backup my two servers. These two Macs (with Drobos attached) contain all my photos, music, movies, documents, etc. In other words, my digital life.

My windows-clients backup both to my server and to the cloud.
My openindiana backup only to the cloud (only certain folders on my pool).

Good to hear. I had a couple friends who assumed you could set all your machines to backup to one machine and then just back the one machine up to CrashPlan. Thankfully they corrected that before anything failed.

It's still working: I have 2.5mbit up and CrashPlan has no problems maxing that out for days. This translates to a bit above 25GB daily and I have 186GB to back up. With the CPU usage throttled, it behaves well even though I am on Linux 64 bit where Java is / was problematic. I am running Oracle JDK 7.45

Make sure that you have multiple backup targets outside of their cloud. My wife had to restore all of her data and Crashplan had a lot of errors and missing files. Their techs worked with her for several days before saying that they were sorry but their cloud had corrupted some data during maintenance. Fortunately she had another backup and restored from that.

I just set Crashplan up in a headless configuration on my Synology- 33% (~300GB) complete after about two weeks using their 448bit blowfish encryption. If I were really paranoid I could use EFS too. Previously I had been using Amazon S3, but due to the costs involved with transferring data and storage I only backed up important documents/photos- with Crashplan it's all going up. For $60/yr it seems like a good deal, although I say that without ever having to restore any of my backups. My family members use the "friend" option in Crashplan to backup onto my NAS which is then backed up to Crashplan using my account.

My family members use the "friend" option in Crashplan to backup onto my NAS which is then backed up to Crashplan using my account.

My understanding is that CrashPlan does not backup other CrashPlan backups. Meaning your family's and friends backups are only on your NAS and don't go to the CrashPlan cloud at all.

The directory in which their backups are stored is being backed up- seems to work fine.

The directory in which their backups are stored is being backed up- seems to work fine.

I've never tried to recover it. But i have the directory on my NAS where my laptop/desktop back up to set to backup to crash plan as well.

It shows up as recoverable when i select a PC to view backed up files on in crashplan

Back