Anyone use vRealize Operations Manager?

kalex1114

Weaksauce
I'm part of operations team that manages about 600 esxi hosts and around 15000 vms and we are starting to do POC on vRealize Operations Manager 6.
It looks good but definitely not out of the box use and needs tweaking and a bit of understanding.
If anyone uses it in their environment any pointers on what you do with it to help in daily operations as well as any deployment pointers you can offer?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Alex

I use it, but I am still a novice. I've only created some widgets on a custom dashboard to monitor VM and datastore latency, and CPU ready. I like to have a few different views such as setting some to real time, 1 hours, and 24 hours. This way I can troubleshoot quickly and also see where the constant problems are.

I would love to learn more about it though.

wow exactly the same info I'm looking for. do you mind sharing what you did? or maybe a way to export import them?

I/We have vRops running across six different vCenters atm.
We have them configured with the "large" setting, running on FusionIO cards and it still struggles "at scale."

Configuration of permissions, integration with vCenters SSO, and authentication is challenging, even for VMWare. I know someone will counter that statement but again, its all about scale. Bloat out an Active Directory config to massive size and watch the wheels spin when trying to do simple LDAP within vRops and vCO.

Next, add on top of vRops the connector for Horizon 6.1 (view) and watch things crumble.

Its a great product and it can tell you some awesome information if you have the time to care and feed it. 100% dog, 0% cow....

I also have it running for 6 separate vCenters throughout the country and don't have any issues. But our setup is most likely much smaller. Only about 700 VMs total.

Back