Anyone use Mint Mobile?

How do you like it, what is their data like and how hard do the data speeds drop once you hit the limit?

I been using TextNow with their SIM card for text and talk, free, but it's VOIP and the data plans cost more than Mints if you buy it.
Looking at Mint and the prices seem good, especial at the yearly package. I rarely use voice but like to know it's clear and doesn't break up when I do, TestNow is a mix bag.
Last time I had a data plan it was at 2GB, 3g speeds with T-Mobil about 5-6 years ago and gets used up in about 2-4 days. I might still start with 4GB if their capped speeds are better now than back then, if not I can upgrade to a higher plan.

Thx, d.

I've been using them for 3+ years now. I have the cheapest 4GB plan and prepay for a year at a time. Never had any issues with them.

I don't think I've ever gone over the 4GB's I pay for, I predominantly use wifi and don't stream any music or video. I download all the music beforehand and them prevent almost all apps from using the cellular connection so there's never any surprises.

My phone is an iPhone 12 mini and I use the virtual sim card option.

I've been using Mint almost 5 1/2 years now and I've never had any issues with them. I pay by the year and just upped it to the 10 gig plan this past renewal. There's a 5g T-Mobile tower about a mile or so from my parents house and I did a speedtest and got 520 down and 12 up via Iphone 12 Pro Max.

Mint is a T-mobile MVNO so make sure you have good service with T-mobile in your area.

I tried Mint on a trial SIM about 3 years ago. The service worked fine. T-mobile just wasn't very good in my area 3 years ago so I didn't switch full time to it.

Yeah, make sure you have a good T-Mobile signal. Have been using Mint for about the last three years and it has been great. Easy to deal with and simple. Went unlimited data this year
for $30/month paid in a lump sum up front. Had a OnePlus 8Pro that was 5G and always got the 5G signal. Now on Pixel 7 Pro and still getting a good 5G signal. Haven't traveled out of the
area during this time so can't speak to how good the coverage is away from home.

Me an my wife have been using Mint for a while now on our Xiaomi's. No complaints. Cheap and good service where we're at.

Voice quality on Mint Mobile is generally clear, but like any mobile service, it can vary depending on your location and network conditions. It's still usable for basic web browsing and email.

How do you like it, what is their data like and how hard do the data speeds drop once you hit the limit?

I been using TextNow with their SIM card for text and talk, free, but it's VOIP and the data plans cost more than Mints if you buy it.
Looking at Mint and the prices seem good, especial at the yearly package. I rarely use voice but like to know it's clear and doesn't break up when I do, TestNow is a mix bag.
Last time I had a data plan it was at 2GB, 3g speeds with T-Mobil about 5-6 years ago and gets used up in about 2-4 days. I might still start with 4GB if their capped speeds are better now than back then, if not I can upgrade to a higher plan.

Thx, d.
Mint has been fine for me, and it's dirt cheap. I had been using Straight Talk with Verizon before that for a number of years until the service my area went to shit.

4G was flawless on my Straight Talk until 5G came out and then the performance nosedived.

5G on Mint (T Mobile towers) is ok, it's no better than the best 4G service I've ever had and it is a bit touch and go at times. That's because it's not 100% widespread yet. Phone connections have been adequate, I get some static in areas but generally it's more stable them the LTE 4G Verizon I was on before.

The 5Gig Hotspot function for free is nice when I have to connect my phone to my car nav. Wish there was an option to bump up the data plan.

I have only exceeded my data plan one time, and the internet speeds after that nearly cease to exist. It might be 3G but I remember 3G being fast enough to stream video... You can barely get email when you exceed your data plan.

Honestly just keep 5G off unless you live in an area that's blanketed. Otherwise Tmo 5g would flip way to much between 5GUC and LTE and honestly LTE is plenty fast and is way more efficient in the battery department. (My Experience with Pixel 6)

Mint is offering a Pixel 7 with 6 months of service for $390 (4GB plan like OP was looking at) right now. 12 months if you port in a number.

Mint is offering a Pixel 7 with 6 months of service for $390 (4GB plan like OP was looking at) right now. 12 months if you port in a number.
Been trying to get a Moto G100.
Saw to free 30 day with 10GB offer but for some reason they won't take my BlueBird card.

Yeah its entirely dependant on how good T-mobile coverage is, in your area.

In Portland Oregon area, T-mobile has several pockets of no service. My last partner could not drive from one side of Portland to the other and keep a Spotify Stream going, on a nice/newer model iPhone. And that was a direct T-Mobile subscription. Not a third party like Mint.

I see. But I believe all plans throttle after a certain gb correct? I know my TMobile plan is unlimited but it also throttles, I forgot at what gb.

I don't think so. Full speed until you hit your monthly cap then throttled. I'm not sure how aggressively Mint gets deprioritized by Tmobile.

We are on T-MO and thinking about jumping ship, we lost 2 people on our family plan and the price is now pretty high for just 2 people. What are good deals for Mint?

T-MO is fine for us around DFW but we do notice spottiness in some remote areas (like central TX, hill country)

I use Mint. Switched to Mint from Boost and am very happy. Boost was causing me all sorts of weird issues (extremely slow podcast downloads and app store downloads, yet fast everything else) that were immediately solved by switching.

I currently pay quarterly for 4GB plan but considering prepaying even longer to get an even lower price (or more data). I almost never use 4GB though. The less often you renew (6 months, 12 months) the lower the price is per month.

Once I got a 5G capable phone it's been worth it in my area (400+ mbps down, 50+ up last time I checked).

Attached pricing. Can also switch plans at any time and only pay the difference.

Only thing I've never understood is the 15GB vs Unlimited pricing

Attachments

• 859AC671-0055-4956-A5AF-4599D78079CA.jpeg
    859AC671-0055-4956-A5AF-4599D78079CA.jpeg
    141.9 KB · Views: 0
  • EA344C74-2823-4930-A584-2AE9F5EC7A2B.jpeg
    EA344C74-2823-4930-A584-2AE9F5EC7A2B.jpeg
    141.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 8D6A698D-93A8-409C-8A6B-656020BF558D.jpeg
    8D6A698D-93A8-409C-8A6B-656020BF558D.jpeg
    516.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
It hasn't been long since I've switched to mint and love it. This has me worried. Acquisitions like this very often end up charging customers more while getting less.

It seems clear to me Mint was competitive enough with T-Mobile that this was a way to remove their competition. With yet another competitor gone, T-Mo will have even less incentive to keep Mint prices low- and vague promises from the acquired like "we have no intention of raising our $15 subscription price" mean absolutely nothing and are never to be trusted. The way that is worded seems very peculiarly focused on the $15 plan and very non-committal too. What that promise doesn't say is speaking far louder than what it does say.

My new phone should be coming in next week from KickMobile, hopefully, and I still need to get my refund from scAmazon after I received an empty phone box in a resealed package delivered to their Hub Lockers.
I'll probably start with Mint's 4GB for 3 months and get a deal with a higher data plan, then get another year before they change things.

I've had Mint for over a year now with 5 lines. I've used the service in Louisiana, Florida, and Texas with few issues. The only "no signal" experience I've had is in one small section of i45 in Louisiana where I don't have signal at all for about 45 sections while driving through a specific spot. In other words Tmobile has built up it's signal significantly. If you had asked me 10 years ago if I thought Tmobile would be not only be a wireless leader, but lead in a newer tech like 5G, I would have called you crazy.

Yeah, I saw an article a few years ago looking at tower upgrade / installation that said T-Mob was outspending AT&T and Verizon combined. I'm sure it was only for a short while (year or two), but I feel their network is pretty much tied these days. I don't see large holes around here for anyone (and I'm the cellphone troubleshooter for my extended family).

Most cell services drop out for me when I travel to see family, usually in some really remote spots on the interstate. This last time I traveled, T-Mo (via Mint) fared just as well, if not better, than the others had in the past. So I had no significant problems with coverage. With a phone upgrade, I'm now taking advantage of 5G on Mint as well, and it's quite fast- I am almost always on wifi, but the one time I did a speed test on 5G I got 400mbps (!).... though I wouldn't recommend speedtesting 5G often, I used Ookla/speedtest.net and it chewed through like 800MB in one test :eek:

Yeah, I think since T-Mob grabbed all the low frequency (worthless at the time) bands, they now have decent speed in places that you used to have no service at all.

Back