Anyone use a Zune on their Mac?

aaronearles

[H]ard|Gawd
I want a zune because of the included FM radio, otherwise I would just get an ipod. Does the zune work with the mac or no? I've heard the answer is no because you have to use the windows software to sync music. If not, anyone have any recommendations on mp3 player with FM that works with osx?

If you're not looking for anything high tech and geeky and just want a simple, working, portable player then look into the Sansa line. They're smaller in size (I think 8GB is max, but they do have expansion slots for those little media cards, forgot what they're called).

You don't need special software to add/delete music and it does have a radio built in. And mine cost me no more than $40 off Woot

But I would recommend getting a Slacker http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slacker_(music_service)#Slacker_G2_Personal_Radio_Player

I have the G1 and it's great. It's just like a portable Pandora. The downside is that I don't believe you can put your own music on it. Got it for $50 off Woot and don't regret it one bit.

Also no radio built in but there is an adapter you can buy from their website

You need the Zune software in order to sync a Zune, and right now the software is only available for Windows. Now, there were rumors of a new update coming this month (the 14th., if I'm not mistaken), but it's just a rumor. I know a couple people who have been hoping an update would bring an OSX version.

Anyway, right now the only way to use your Mac and sync. it to a Zune, is to have bootcamp and have Windows XP or Vista installed on your machine.

That sucks, maybe I'll hold off to see if we hear anything about an osx version of the software. I really just want a simple drag and drop mp3 no drm bs player, but I like the quality of the ipod/zune. I really just want an ipod with FM...

Well we have three more days to see if the new software update rumor is true, and then there's also a rumor that has been kicked around, that Microsoft is going to show-off the Zune HD at E3, though I think that's even less likely to happen then a software update this week.

Also, for the record, the DRM thing is pretty much a non-issue now. Perhaps more so for iTunes, since the Zune Marketplace still features some DRM music, but the list of DRM-free downloads seems to be growing each day. Thankfully.

Last edited:
Why not just get a iPod Nano or iPod Classic and purchase the Apple iPod Radio Remote then you'd have all the luxury of the iPod with FM radio. Not to mention it give you a remote for your iPod.

I've never seen a Zune working with a Mac. Unless you install Windows under boot camp, you will NOT be able to use it.

Install XP or 7 in Parallels/VMware and then install the zune software. Switch to unity mode and it's just like having the Zune software running on OSX. Works just fine. Not to mention the Zune software is far superior to iTunes.

Back