Anyone upgrading 290x to GTX 980?

Nvidia still uses his SLI bridge whereas AMD cards no longer requests a Crossfire bridge with their 290(X) . So on this point , AMD is better .

maybe don't you remember how the 480 was able to run in SLI without bridge :eek: and how nvidia removed that feature with a driver update well explained, document yourself please..

also the thing to run a card without bridge just can make the things worse in the long term, as actually a 290X Xfire setup can saturate the PCI-E Lanes.. at the future that could be a problem with faster and stronger cards..

maybe don't you remember how the 480 was able to run in SLI without bridge :eek: and how nvidia removed that feature with a driver update well explained, document yourself please..

also the thing to run a card without bridge just can make the things worse in the long term, as actually a 290X Xfire setup can saturate the PCI-E Lanes.. at the future that could be a problem with faster and stronger cards..

I am curious to read the article in which they stated this .

On the other hand , we have to know if it was a PCI-E gen 2 motherboard :eek: !

I am curious to read the article in which they stated this .

On the other hand , we have to know if it was a PCI-E gen 2 motherboard :eek: !

Direct from [H]OCP:
Brent_Justice said:
This hardware DMA engines allow for direct access between the GPUs over the PCI-Express bus solely. AMD has said the video cards can saturate a PCIe 3.0 x16 bus bandwidth; 16GB/s bi-directional. If this is true, it is possible that gamers who are going with two R9 290's or R9 290X cards will now have a need to upgrade to PCIe 3.0 for the best performance. It makes your CPU and PCIe bus speed choice more important than it was in the past, where previously it made little or no difference.

and you may remember what was the price of the 7950 at launch? 450$. and the 7970 550$... that ins't precisely a crown of price/performance.. most of those 180$ was used market and later the launch of the GTX 760.. when nvidia launched the 600 Series to compete with AMD amd had the Crown in performance destroying the GTX 580 but at a higher price.. even left the 7950 to compete with the GTX 580.. what could you expect 2 gen later with a GTX 760?. the 600 series made a seriously hurt to AMD specially the GTX 670 and 660TI being the first one able to outperform the 7970 and forced AMD to cut the price in 100$ and also launch later a GHZ edition just to compete with the GTX 680 but again not in price/performance. the great value of the 7950 was the possibility to buy used at those sub 200$ prices and make Xfire setup....

have you seen the market of used AMD cards? its a bloodbath AMD its suffering badly.. this time Nvidia made a very aggressive card at a correct price point for great performance without sacrifice noise, heat, and power. its a winner..

Good lord, the fanboy is strong with this one.

7970 traded blows with the 680, not the 670, and not even remotely the 660ti. The Ghz edition came out was just a slight clock boost and some better memory that had become more available.

This happens almost every time a new card generation is introduced, or atleast it generally does. Aside from the used market (which I wouldn't consider a bad thing, people still prefer buying new to buying used) the situation is no different than any other new series release where one side introduces first. Nvidia has cast its lot in first and it is a fairly impressive showing imo. Now we just wait to see what AMD does.

The 7950 didn't reach $200 prices until two years after it first was introduced, I wouldn't say that's a bad amount of depreciation for computer hardware.

Good lord, the fanboy is strong with this one.

7970 traded blows with the 680, not the 670, and not even remotely the 660ti. The Ghz edition came out was just a slight clock boost and some better memory that had become more available.

This happens almost every time a new card generation is introduced, or atleast it generally does. Aside from the used market (which I wouldn't consider a bad thing, people still prefer buying new to buying used) the situation is no different than any other new series release where one side introduces first. Nvidia has cast its lot in first and it is a fairly impressive showing imo. Now we just wait to see what AMD does.

The 7950 didn't reach $200 prices until two years after it first was introduced, I wouldn't say that's a bad amount of depreciation for computer hardware.

Buddy you need seriously some practice to learn how read.. in my post I said at the moment of the launch the GTX 670 was able to outperform the HD7970 and trade blows.. and its right, Of course the HD7970 was superior in some very specific tittles (like metro 2033 or Hitman absolution for example) but not by much..

want pics?..

Untitled-28.png

Untitled-11.png

Untitled-18.png

47483.png

47482.png

47471.png

borderlands2_1920_1200.gif

borderlands2_2560_1600.gif

crysis2_1920_1200.gif

crysis2_2560_1600.gif

ac3_1920_1200.gif

ac3_2560_1600.gif

IF you want more just tell me.. its hard to someone tell me fanboy for Nvidia or AMD sides as i have LOTS of card for both side and in fact right now im using a 280X in my personal machine and other 6 AMD in working machines.. so no.. I have just too much years in the gaming world just to be called fanboy by some random guy like you. when i talk i talk with proof..

If you've been around for so long you should know better than to proclaim that "its a bloodbath AMD its suffering badly." That's just silly and sensationalist. I don't have time to go through and pick individual sites screenshots of benchmarks but I can link this:

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1032?vs=1349

Overall the 670 does not match the 7970, I don't know how different things were at launch (I know there was an AMD driver release that increased performance at some point), but it just doesn't match it.

I still say we have yet to see the victor and we'd all be wise to wait and see. If nothing else it may result that nvidia does indeed have the better cards, their low TDP at that level of performance is definitely impressive, but it's too early to call anything. Either way, competition between vendors is good for consumers, and that's what we are.

46408.png

46409.png

46410.png

46416.png

46424.png

46444.png

46414.png

Edit: Here's what I found after looking through just the anandtech article. Most of the wins/losses for either card are more AMD vs. nvidia dependent than anything imo. The initial fanboyism call may have been unjust, I just see so much of it on these forums...

Last edited:
290x user here. Only want to get out of it because it has nasty coil whine.
I have a 290 and pretty bad coil whine. Oddly enough though the noise is emanating from the power supply and not the video card. It may not be the case with your setup but you may want to eliminate the power supply as a contributing factor.

If you've been around for so long you should know better than to proclaim that "its a bloodbath AMD its suffering badly." That's just silly and sensationalist. I don't have time to go through and pick individual sites screenshots of benchmarks but I can link this:

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1032?vs=1349

Overall the 670 does not match the 7970, I don't know how different things were at launch (I know there was an AMD driver release that increased performance at some point), but it just doesn't match it.

I still say we have yet to see the victor and we'd all be wise to wait and see. If nothing else it may result that nvidia does indeed have the better cards, their low TDP at that level of performance is definitely impressive, but it's too early to call anything. Either way, competition between vendors is good for consumers, and that's what we are.

Edit: Here's what I found after looking through just the anandtech article. Most of the wins/losses for either card are more AMD vs. nvidia dependent than anything imo. The initial fanboyism call may have been unjust, I just see so much of it on these forums...

thats why i was referring exclusively to launch date and few months after launch date of 600 Series.. actually the outlook its completely different more in favor towards an 7970(or newone 280X) I was just referring how much Nvidia pushed AMD to down prices because the excessive pressure of the 680 and 670 in those days.

290x CF user here. Monitor is a LG UM95 3440x1440 res. I wont be jumping to these new cards. No need to. In my situation it would be a waste of money. I wont be upgrading my cards until AMD or Nvidia makes a single card able to run as well as 290x CF at a reasonable price. This is going to be a few generations down the road I'm thinking.

Given my eye sight (yeah, I'm getting old) I dont see myself going to 4k for gaming. I already have a 4k tv and its fine for watching tv and movies but for gaming I think I hit the max resolution wall with 3440x1440. Text in gaming is hard for me to read. Not a lot of games offer increase font size when it comes to the game's UI and such. If I did move up to a 4k, say, this year, I would just add a third 290x and call it done then wait another generation after this to see what they can do.

Speaking for myself. :D

GTX 970 :eek::eek::rolleyes:.. that card destroyed all from 290X and below...

I guess you don't know that $230 worth of used 7950's will destroyed the 970 and maybe the 980 also..if we want to talked about the value leader..

Also CX has been fixed for awhile on 79XX cards as they got frame pacing..

I went from a 680 to a 780 and was generally pleased with the switch, but that was based more on cooler quality than it was on performance. There'd have to be a damn compelling reason for me to upgrade to a 980, because I really don't feel perf-limited at this point. Less noise might be nice, but it's not quite enough.

I think anyone considering moving from a 780 or above to a 980 (or SLI'ed 970s) and who doesn't have a G-Sync monitor should at least reconsider their plans. A G-Sync display is going to offer substantially greater value than a fair/moderate increase in perf. The obvious caveat is there's only one available G-Sync display, and if you don't like Asus, you're entirely SOL.

I went from a 680 to a 780 and was generally pleased with the switch, but that was based more on cooler quality than it was on performance. There'd have to be a damn compelling reason for me to upgrade to a 980, because I really don't feel perf-limited at this point. Less noise might be nice, but it's not quite enough.

I think anyone considering moving from a 780 or above to a 980 (or SLI'ed 970s) and who doesn't have a G-Sync monitor should at least reconsider their plans. A G-Sync display is going to offer substantially greater value than a fair/moderate increase in perf. The obvious caveat is there's only one available G-Sync display, and if you don't like Asus, you're entirely SOL.
Available now:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009657

Coming next month:
http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/35813-meet-acer’s-xb280hk-28-inch-4k-g-sync-monitor

I'm going from 2x290's to 970 SLi. Performance-wise it isn't that much of a leap but with Nvidia you get added features like 3D, G-Sync, ULMB, HDMI 2.0, driver supported downsampling (DSR), VR SLi, blah, blah, blah. And it's not that much more expensive. 980 SLi isn't worth it IMO.

I'm also expecting the 970's to OC to 980 levels, too.

ULMB, 3D, HDMI, and G-Sync are crap features that only work on LCDs.

I have 2 290X's and am going to be picking up a third to put in an upcoming loop. A used 290X still holds the price/performance crown, thats where my money goes

The 290x is probably going to drop in price pretty soon, so now would be the time to switch over. If not within the next two or so months, then you might as well hold on doing so until the r9 300 series. Having stated that, the upgrade isn't all too significant; assuming you sold your existing cards for $350 each, that's still $200 you would have to pay per card upgrade - that's not really worth the price. If you sold each card for $400-$450, sure, but the 980 GTX is probably going to drive down the price of used 290x's, so it would be fairly difficult to do so.

Lol at the nvidia and amd fanboys in this thread.

My 290 served me well, but I really want to give g-sync a try so I happily bought a 980. Still can't find any waterblocks in-stock however =|.

I guess you don't know that $230 worth of used 7950's will destroyed the 970 and maybe the 980 also..if we want to talked about the value leader.
I really can't consider any multi-GPU solution superior to a single-GPU solution of similar speed. Still too many issues with multi-GPU (this goes for AMD and Nvidia).

For a trouble-free experience, single-GPU is still king.

The 79XX cards got software frame pacing that works in a sub-set of games.

If the game you want to play is DirectX9 or OpenGL, you're out of luck. Frame pacing on 79XX cards STILL doesn't support either of these graphics APIs.

I'm on quadfire 290x. I won't be upgrading anything any time soon, as much as I want to (I normally go for latest and greatest). I can pretty much max games at 8x AA @1600p, so when I cannot do at least 2x AA at max, I'll finally upgrade. And don't get me started on x99 and 5960x...

With the 390 announcement coming up, as well as a big die Maxwell making the verification rounds, would be silly to buy the 980 now, wait for the big boy and then grab it on the price drop. Still 290X to 980 is a dumb move.

I currently have a 7970 and will definitely make the move when money allows. Need something that is more power efficient.

I guess you don't know that $230 worth of used 7950's will destroyed the 970 and maybe the 980 also..if we want to talked about the value leader..

it can not be even on pair with a good clocked 780.. even less with a good 970.. I would not take any Xfired AMD cards below 290 seriously... i had 7870XT Xfired and i know how problematic its even with the miraculous "frame pacing" software.. also check really for how the people are really throwing the prices on the 290 and below.. even 290X.. AMD have to price at least the 290 at 300$ new to be barely competitive with a gtx 970... much less to say from the 290X which are already on pair both cards..

Why is it not AMD friendly? Wont it work fine, but without G-Sync?

Silly to spend the premium for a feature you aren't going to use, though.

4K is only @ 60Hz. IIRC Gsync has a lower limit of 40Hz? That's a pretty narrow window. Need DP1.3 for the necessary bandwidth to do 120/144Hz @4K. That's assuming Gsync will be incorporated with DP1.3 now that nVidia is going to support AdaptiveSync.

I would say its worth it. Games are becoming a lot more graphically demanding and if you have a 1440p display, it'll run pretty much anything at that resolution with a smooth 60+ fps.

I just got in my two 980 cards today. Not sure if I am going to do a full new X99 build or not. Anyway, I did not feel as though I needed to upgrade from 290X CrossFire, but I just wanted to experience the new cards over time. I will miss my heaters this winter.

Back