Anyone “upgraded” from 5900X to 5800X3D for gaming?

Should I get a 5800X3D?

• Total voters
I wish they would sell an unlocked version for people like me... then I'd consider it over my 5950X for some fun and tweaking.

I have that bios on my board and it does next to nothing to boost performance of the chip not that it needs any help.
Is it that "KomboStrike" BIOS? Or whatever MSI called it (can't fully remember). I stayed on the 1.2.0.5 AGESA Bios as it is perfect, refuse to upgrade it at this point.... lol.

I could not resist the sale price, so I just bought a 5800X3D today also. It looks like I should be able to almost break-even by selling my 5900X. I'm not really in a position to do a full platform upgrade for another year or two so this should easily hold me over until then.

5900x user here and also bit on the deal 😂 I definitely don't utilize all its cores much, I would benefit from the cache since I play MMOs like FFXIV regularly.

The only thing I miss about my 5900X is its boost speed, it is fast af. But I enjoy my X3D knowing it’s not the best all arounder. It is very easy to cool and that means a nice quiet system :)

I have 5600X, 5800X3D, and 5900X. They are all awesome CPU's, just not the newest and fastest anymore :)
AM4 4 Lyfe!!! Such a great platform. Credited for opening my eyes to the AMD/NVIDIA combo. I have it in everything now - even my laptop.

For that price, even though my 5950X performs great, I almost want to try a 5800X3D.... lol

It really wasn't that long ago that most consumer CPUs, even high-end consumer CPUs, were still only quad-core. 8 cores is still a lot of cores compared to what most programs use in real-world scenarios. With my 5900X I basically never max out all 12 cores unless I'm purposefully trying to do so (like starting all 10 of my VMs at the same time) or running an Artificial benchmark (Cinebench, etc). If I get 20-30% extra game performance at the expense of it taking slightly longer to compress a zip file once each week, I'd say that's a good tradeoff. I'd actually be curious to hear about example real-world scenarios where people are using >8 cores on a regular basis, where those extra cores are actually saving you significant amounts of time performing a frequent task.

It really wasn't that long ago that most consumer CPUs, even high-end consumer CPUs, were still only quad-core. 8 cores is still a lot of cores compared to what most programs use in real-world scenarios. With my 5900X I basically never max out all 12 cores unless I'm purposefully trying to do so (like starting all 10 of my VMs at the same time) or running an Artificial benchmark (Cinebench, etc). If I get 20-30% extra game performance at the expense of it taking slightly longer to compress a zip file once each week, I'd say that's a good tradeoff. I'd actually be curious to hear about example real-world scenarios where people are using >8 cores on a regular basis, where those extra cores are actually saving you significant amounts of time performing a frequent task.
TBH, I got the 5950X at the time because it was the absolute best CPU available and was 2 good binned die's. Long before 5800X3D and back when Intel 11 was announced and not out yet. I do runs VMs for work, but rarely tax the CPU to its limit.

I will say, its been a damn good overclocker tho, so my gamble was worth it for me. Things boosts over 5.2Ghz single core and gaming my cores sit at 4.8~4.9Ghz.

I only went with 5900x because at the time the 5800x was priced terribly, so it was either go 5600x or 5900x. I opted for 5900x since I was coming from an i5 2500k and figured I wanted something that would last me just as long. :)

Anyone swap their 5900x for a 5800x3D and game at 4K see any improvement? I was tempted to go the X3D when I got the 5900x but the benchmarks didn't seem to matter much at 4K. Figured the more cores would be more future proof. Gotta love wonder if you picked the right path lol. Most games do at least 60+ other than MSFS and CP2077 maxed on my monitor. VR in MSFS for sure is a system killer but I last tried that on a 5600x, also you don't seem to see too many benchmarks for VR usage (at least I haven't).

Anyone swap their 5900x for a 5800x3D and game at 4K see any improvement? I was tempted to go the X3D when I got the 5900x but the benchmarks didn't seem to matter much at 4K. Figured the more cores would be more future proof. Gotta love wonder if you picked the right path lol
Easy enough for you to tell. Use MSI afterburner to see your GPU usage. Try and find some areas in games that drop below 98% GPU usage - if you find some, then yeah - the 5800x3d will likely help. If you don't, you aren't playing games that are CPU limiting your GPU.

For me and my i9 10940X there were tons of areas in Star Citizen that did that to me at 4K. Not anymore. Same for Wrath of the Lich King (private servers). The 5800x3d got rid of most of that (with a few short dips in SC still - it is an alpha).

Tell us how it is. Mine doesn’t come until 2 more days and I may not even be able to try it as I might be traveling.

I put mine in yesterday, and they definitely run hot at a lower voltage, but had no issue running 4.5 across all cores. I had to reset my bios though because my motherboard refused to let it go above 3.5 until after I did that. My guess there was a bios setting causing a issue. I tried it out on Battletech with tons of mods activated that my 5900x used to struggle with and the 5800x3d played super smooth. So with very limited time to play with it, it seems like it was indeed a good move to get this cpu. Also I could set all cores at -30 for pbo2 and it passed all tests and ran much cooler as well.

Anyone swap their 5900x for a 5800x3D and game at 4K see any improvement? I was tempted to go the X3D when I got the 5900x but the benchmarks didn't seem to matter much at 4K. Figured the more cores would be more future proof. Gotta love wonder if you picked the right path lol. Most games do at least 60+ other than MSFS and CP2077 maxed on my monitor. VR in MSFS for sure is a system killer but I last tried that on a 5600x, also you don't seem to see too many benchmarks for VR usage (at least I haven't).
I switched from a 5900X to 5800X3D my flight sims in VR DX11 are much smoother. The low fps dips are much better in MSFS2020 and IL2 Sturmovik FB and overall better FPS. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend the switch as I enjoy both sims in VR a lot more than before.

Anyone made this move? After seeing lots of Intel 13 series reviews it seems the cheapest route is to just grab a 5800X3D. Wondering if it is worth the hassle?

Not really interested in a full platform switch and am thinking maybe I can get 1 more year out of my current setup.

It’s in sig and I play 1440P 240 Hz most of the time. I do have an OLED but I am too lazy to hook it up. 👀

What do you guys say?
No Production Work loads then 100% yes. Set Max boost clock +200MHZ in PBO and set curve optimizer to the lowest negative offset and be done.

Last edited:
No Production Work loads then 100% yes. Set Max boost clock +200MHZ in PBO and set curve optimizer to the lowest negative offset and be done.

PBO is not a option with this chip, unless you know something I don't, my motherboard wont even let me go into anything PBO. I used Hydra to modify my PBO2 settings, but I cant set any boost clocks in PBO.

Tell us how it is. Mine doesn’t come until 2 more days and I may not even be able to try it as I might be traveling.
I won't have time to install it for probably 2 weeks..doing my MORA3 install at the same time and have life shit in the way...boo...

So... that was a whole lot of nothing.
I don't have any option for PBO with this processor in MSI bios. Would be great if someone can help me with enabling PBO2 on the damn thing. Haven't spent much time with it yet.
All benches at 1440P 240 Hz Vsync Off Max Quality including DLSS Quality

Results are as follows:
Game5900X5800X3D
Farcry 6105133
AC Valhalla178180
Ghost Recon Breakpoint249260
Metro Exodus EE97.68119.23
RDR2175167 (might be I enabled more options than 5900X run)
Cyberpunk 2077109116
Forza Horizon 5148152
COD MW2270271
3dmark Port Royal2709327117

Last edited:
I don't have any option for PBO with this processor in MSI bios. Would be great if someone can help me with enabling PBO2 on the damn thing. Haven't spent much time with it yet.

Results are as follows:
Game5900X5800X3D
Farcry 6105133
AC Valhalla178180
Cyberpunk 2077109116
Forza Horizon 5148152
COD MW2270271
You got some nice gains there - the 5900X was obviously CPU limiting you in several game engines. As for Port Royal, that's not really a CPU bound test - overclock your VRAM if you want gains there.

Here's a guide that I've found for undervolting via PBO 2 (I've not yet used it) - https://github.com/PrimeO7/How-to-u...X3D-Guide-with-PBO2-Tuner/blob/main/README.md

Results are as follows:
Game5900X5800X3D
Farcry 6105133
AC Valhalla178180
Cyberpunk 2077109116
Forza Horizon 5148152
COD MW2270271
Pretty good rundown.

Now 1 % lows is 1% of the frames below a fps. Some, not you, do not understand that 1% lows can dramatically increase but since only 1% of the frames will not affect the averages that much. Except visually those 1% lows are the hitches, increase lag that messes up your perfect shot. Seeing averages going up indicate to me some rather big improvement on the lows where it really counts.

Never had hitches before. Still don't have hitches? Any game you want me to test that had hitches?

Back