Anyone update a U2410 to A02?

Synomenon

Supreme [H]ardness
Has anyone else updated a U2410 to A02?

A02 Download:
http://pages.suddenlink.net/downloaddell/U2410_A02_Firmware.rar

If so, did the M1f19 change or is it still M1f19?

Changes in A02 per a Dell employee:
http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/peripherals/f/3529/p/19342727/19764881.aspx#19764881

A01 to A02
- Improve grainy issue in video modes by modifying the sharpness table
- Removed the unwanted black bar in pivot OSD
- Resolved DisplayPort audio mute issue
- Modify and standardize the DisplayPort power save sleep/wake scheme

Last edited:
i also want to know that. my was a00 - then i updated to a01, can't find the a02 firmware...

I have the A02 firmware. PM me your email address and I'll send it to you, but in return you have to tell me if the firmware utility still shows m1f19 or not AFTER you've updated to A02.

This posted firmware version appears to be version update A162 (M1F192B), with a possible timestamp of March 10th 2010, which should show as M1F193.

The previous A01 firmware was version update A159 (M1F190k) with a possible timestamp of September 10th 2009, which showed as M1F191.

The original A00 firmware was version was version M1F190.

So, after flashing, it should show as M1F193 in the top right of the Innolux Factory Menu in the U2410's factory test mode (Search my posts for details of how to access this mode if you don't know how). AFAIK this is consistent with the A02 U2410's people have already received.

I did update to A01 myself from A00, and the process is extremely simple and quite safe. However I'm not going to upgrade to A02 because, afaik, there are no significant fixes applied, unlike A00 to A01. If anyone wants to update just to have the latest version, and spots anything new, do let us know!

Personally I'm happy with the U2410 on A01 right now and won't update unless they make a significant change to make it worthwhile. A significant change, to me, would be to update the U2410's Custom Mode to allow it to access to the onboard LUT when making adjustments. That way you should be able to access the HUE controls and make colour adjustments without so easily introducing nasty banding artifacts like the hue controls do currently.. Which makes the colour fine tuning controls kinda useless in Custom Mode. More so when you consider Custom Mode was given a Gamma brightness curve closer to 1.8 for whatever reason, rather than the typical 2.2 most people expect today.

I hope Dell would add an sRGB game mode some day too, so people don't have to use the current kludge work around, which works, but doesn't stick if you switch the screen off or reboot the computer.

Last edited:
The second test mode allows you to access a more complete "Innolux" factory menu
Power off the screen, hold the Brightness/Contrast button and menu buttons, whilst doing so press power.
When the screen switches on wait for all the lights to come on, when it does this press the Preset Modes button..
You should now see the blue factory menu to the left of the screen..

Perhaps there are some other button combinations waiting to be found, but it's hard enough to get it to do anything even knowing which buttons to push thanks to the capacitive buttons!

I've tried this button combination a hundred times and can't get it to work. Anyone have an alternate combo.?

I've tried this button combination a hundred times and can't get it to work. Anyone have an alternate combo.?
Hold the Brightness/Menu buttons quite firm. Now when you power on the buttons light up like normal. When the lights reach the top (the Presets Mode button) you're still holding down.. you don't let go. The Presets Mode light will then turn off and back on again. When that happens all the button lights now stay lit - When it does that you're in test mode. You use the presets button to bring up the Factory Menu on the left side of the screen.

It is difficult. Even though I'm telling you how to do this it took me half a dozen attempts there just to check, because sometimes the brighness and menu buttons don't register properly. If you hold them firm it will eventually work though.. you need to keep trying.

I have updated the monitor the day before yesterday, and I am not really sure of what it fixes.

I know for a fact that:
  • The custom color mode is now different, grouped in 4 different categories: "Gain", "Offset", and two others i dont remember (I have pics at home, I'll edit the post later)
  • This firmware does NOT fix the issue with calibration using the "custom" color mode.

As of now, this is what I know. I'll let you know if I find out anything new.

Cheers!

i did it. it worked for me.

got: Y947N
other #: M1F193

(dont ask me what these numbers mean!)

I know for a fact that:
The custom color mode is now different, grouped in 4 different categories: "Gain", "Offset", and two others i dont remember (I have pics at home, I'll edit the post later)
Custom Mode has always had 4 different categories - Gain, Offset, Saturation, and Hue. Gain is just the main RGB brightness control. Offset turns the RGB values up at the black end of things, which means you can tune it so darker shades are easier to see, plus it's particularly valuable for removing any colour tint you can spot in greyscale B&W images. Saturation is what it sounds like, an overall colour control, and turning down the Red and Magenta values in particular helps to remove the over-saturated wide gamut look to red colours if you'd rather have something which looks a bit more like sRGB mode.

Finally there's Hue. Hue is the most powerful control, because it allows you to really power-tweak the colours. EG Turn the Red value up and it'll make the red more green. Turn it down and it'll make the red look more blue. The problem the U2410 has is that Custom Mode doesn't use the onboard colour LUT when making these adjustments. So, if you move any Hue values more than 4% in any direction (below 48 or above 52), you introduce nasty banding artifacts. This means it's impossible to tweak Custom Mode to look like sRGB or Adobe mode. Also, for some unknown reason, a Gamma curve closer to 1.8 is used for Custom mode. Since most calibration equipment expects 2.2, and adjustments are limited in custom mode, calibration devices really struggle to achieve their goal of 2.2. You can get it to somewhere between 1.9 and 2.0 with manual tweaking without artifacts.

If you notice anything different from the above then I'd be very interested to know :)

This firmware does NOT fix the issue with calibration using the "custom" color mode.
Unless Dell fix the Custom Mode, to allow Hue adjustments via the LUT, you're never going to have very flexible colour adjustment in Custom Mode. Plus, unless they release details of how 3rd party calibration devices can access the U2410's onboard LUT, nobody is going to be able to calibrate the screen as nicely as the included factory Adobe and sRGB modes in ANY mode. Peoples calibration devices might be telling them it's accurate colour etc, but personally I think that's of little use if it introduces things like visible banding in pictures of things like a sunrise or sunset. Personally I think most people would take less accurate colour before that, unless they have to match a print device or something.

I'll let you know if I find out anything new.
Cool. Since nobody has noticed anything for sure the changes are likely related to something less obvious like improved input handling (for hooking up consoles to the U2410) or maybe better 24P support etc. But if anyone notices anything do post :)

got: Y947N
other #: M1F193
(dont ask me what these numbers mean!)
Y947N is simply the number for the panel model Dell uses on the U2410. It won't change unless Dell change the type of panel they use in the U2410. M1F193 is the firmware version, which is A02 in this case.

Changes in A02 per a Dell employee:
A01 to A02
- Improve grainy issue in video modes by modifying the sharpness table
- Removed the unwanted black bar in pivot OSD
- Resolved DisplayPort audio mute issue
- Modify and standardize the DisplayPort power save sleep/wake scheme
Thanks for that! As I suspected nothing much for most users hooking up to a computer. Probably the biggest is fixing the sharpness (grain) in the VGA/Component input, if people are hooking up stuff like consoles etc. Maybe the Display Port issues might be worthwhile for some people too. But I'll be sitting this one out.. :)

I just updated from a01 to a02 with no problems. I can't tell any difference and my dell isp tool shows the same firmware version, but I'm pretty sure that's because the last couple numbers are cut off. I'm too lazy to get into the innolux settings mode, so I'm going to trust it updated. The dell isp tool messages as it was updating made me think so. I updated it with a laptop connected, so I was able to monitor the messages as it updated. also I unplugged all other usb devices from the laptop as the update pdf file suggested for added safety. I'm glad I checked this forum again, I never thought we'd see another firmware update for this monitor :)

Recently I have upgraded my PC and connected monitor to PC via DisplayPort interface instead of DVI and faced with strange monitor's behavior when PC was going into sleep mode. Monitor every several seconds show a message that it is going to sleep mode.
Yesterday I have successfully updated monitor's FW and this issue has gone. When PC tells to monitor go to sleep it is normally going to sleep without any annoying messages.

Back