Anyone tried Acer XB272 Gsync monitor?

HiCZoK

Gawd
Hey!
I just returned my 2nd AOC AG251FG and these both had very bad bezel backlight bleeding.
The picture if over saturated but You can see what I am talking about. Contrast was in reality but glowing whole edges of the screen were distracting. It also had terrible 1.8 gamma... I don't even need 240hz competitive monitor. I just wanted a nice 1080 (because of gtx1060) Gsync monitors just because Gsync is such a nice thing.

I've heard that 27" 240hz 1080p panels are better but there is only one gsync which is Acer XB272 (or called xb2).
Anyone tried it or maybe can recommend gsync monitor which at least ok picture quality, gamma and not so atrocious blb? I kinda want to avoid ips monitors since I don't like ips glow.

I could always scratch gsync an then there are a lot more monitors but it's the last resort, since Gsync is super convinient... And nvidia are dicks for not supporting free common standard. I've heard that Gsync is better than freesync but still.

Here are the pics I've talked in the beginning:
iTcOShx.jpg

tOutDa1.jpg

Here's an in-depth review (russian)

https://3dnews.ru/965121/page-2.html

Contrast seems fine, even a bit above spec and gamma is pretty close to 2.2, but both deteriorate somewhat when activating ULMB.
Overdrive appears balanced and panel speed is of course great, as expected. The color gamut is missing a good chunk of sRGB, mainly around green/cyan so don't expect very vivid colors there.
In terms of black uniformity/blb you can see these blue-ish stripes along the edges again, this just seems to be an issue that a lot of TN panels have. Reviewer also notes average white uniformity and typical slightly grainy TN coating.

Last edited:
Thank You... Oh no! I had hopes for this monitor and it too does have the edge lit glowing :(
And it seems to hace quite matte coating which I also disliked about ag251fg. Every bright color was so grainy ugh. I wish we had glossy monitors.

Is the edges glowing inherent to all tn monitors now? I have 10yo glossy hp tn and it looks great, does not have and glow and is perfectly uniform with good gamma too.
I also had dell u2417h ips year ago and it also did not had any backlight edge glow. Only ips glow.

Is there any other gaync monitor which is not prone to the edge lit blb?
Or do I have to drop gsync? Or is this a problem with just 144hz monitors?
Weird because review of ag251fg on pcmonitors did not had any edge blb and then my 2 units were very bad...

I just want a good screen for general use and noncompetitive gaming. How hard can it be even with 600usd. Its like they want me to buy 60hz ips or something.

There are also lg monitors. 24 144hz tn and 27inch 240hz tn. Both with very good results apparently but no gsync. Cheaper too. Thanks for the russian site. English translation is ok and the site is very helpful

With G-sync there is also the Dell S2417DG, it has a good price despite being a G-sync display. But the 1440p is going to be a bit too much for the 1060. (well, G-sync is very helpful with lower framerates at least)
It was also tested by the russian site and his sample also had the blue stripes and contrast was rather low as well (700:1 or so). At least it does not have the grainy coating.
There are some TNs that don't have the bleeding lines but you have to play the panel lottery. PCM probably got a cherry-picked sample.

There just aren't many G-sync options. The LG 32GK850G seems to have the least issues relative to other panels but it is also very expensive, especially for a standard gamut display which is also lacking ULMB.
LG also has the 34UC89G ultrawide, with in-house IPS panel that reaches pretty high contrast ratio for IPS (1200-1400:1) but it is also rather expensive and there is still the glow of course. (and a rather low pixel density)

If you forgo G-sync, there are a lot more options but again they are all far from perfect. With all the options you went through, maybe the C24FG70/C24FG73 would fit your requirements best, it could be worth a try.

All samsung options are nice but curved.
So I might look into ips again. To say the truth something cheap and simple as Dell S2718HN is also not bad. IPS, 1200 contrast, no bleeding issues, good response times for ips and 60hz monitors... and GLOSSY screen which is a big plus.
But it feels kinda redundant to buy 60hz ips after looking for gsync monitor. but then again - I do not play online for most part and when I paly a game it's usually something atmospheric like Hellblade, half-life2, res4 (for thousand time!), Mad max, Doom or what I play the most - Dark Souls games and Bloodborne on ps4.
So yes - I would also be connecting monitor to PS4.
Dell also has 1440p glossy monitor but it would not go well with either ps4 (not that much important) or gtx1060. But then again - screen is only 60hz so gtx1060 should do ok for most part.

I guess with iiyama xb2483hsu I had, 60hz was not big issue. Issue was ghosting/smearing but it was not bad. In the end - I probably should've kept it :p

btw Igluk - what are You using now mostly? I know You as a big AMVA fan from that other topic. We both were the first to share opinions on gw2470h and xb2483hsu. iiyama won big time with overdrive.

edit: Look how fucking good this 10yo hp w2207h I am temporairly using looks. It's a Glossy TN. Gamma is about 2.1. Why they don't make screen slike that anymore? It's just small and 16:10. It's the only glossy screen I've ever used on pc and it shows. Reflections are not a problem surprisingly but colors POP! Pic does not even look half as good as in reality :p
fTgLy3j.jpg

Last edited:
I also still have a very old TN stashed somewhere, 5:4 1280x1024. Colors and black uniformity are ok-ish, viewing angles surprisingly good (probably also because it is so small). But I haven't used it for a long time.
Especially TN and some IPS have suffered a bit from the CCFL to LED backlight change I think. It was basically going from direct-lit to edge-lit and this exacerbated some of the inherent panel issues.

I'm still using the iiyama B1 AMVA at 75Hz, it's very basic but does what its supposed to do well enough and I'm not happy with the options currently available anyway. Also it has close to perfect black uniformity and very little VA glow, I wouldn't want to play that lottery again when I have a winner already. The 31.5'' LG which is very similar image quality wise is too expensive imo.
Response times/Overdrive - while still clearly having some issues - for some reason were a bit better on the B1 than on newer models, so gaming on it is mostly fine. (depends on the game really)

Glossy is great for light-controlled rooms it will massively enhance clarity, saturation and perceived contrast. But the glow will still be mostly the same.
Dell and HP should have some glossy IPS options, especially HP are often not available in Poland though.
Here's a review of one of the Dells on the same website so you can compare
https://3dnews.ru/964022/page-2.html

Samsung released some glossy 120Hz TNs back in 2011/2012 (S23A950D?), aside from using 360Hz PWM those panels are still considered some of the best gaming TNs ever created. But they are long gone. Maybe you can find a used one somewhere.

Last edited:
I would prefer the 27 inch size.
But I keep reading on several sources that’s on the 25 monitors, the Alienware model is the better monitor.
Better than both the asus and Acer 25 inch models.
The 27 Acer I saw obviously a different panel, but is the 25inch Alienware better performing than the 27 inch Acer?

Cheers!

Thanks a bunch igluk
I will place the order tomorrow. It's all luck I guess

edit: After all I don't know what to think anymore. Maybe it would be better to just get some 60/75hz good va or ips panel and be done with it. those gaming monitors just look too bad except motion. And all of them are the same.
I just reminded myself that the best fun I had with ag251fg was just playing bloodbonre on ps4. it;s 60hz console and 30fps game... And all ag251fg did for that game was bad gamma and tn angles.

Last edited:
Please reconsider 1440p IPS
or at least 1440p monitor
1080p is ok-ish on something like 23" tops

and of course best game experience is when you play in Glorious 4K :cool:
(ignoring "UHD is not 4K" trolls)

Back