Anyone transcoding with a 1055T or 1090T yet??

Dr. Righteous

2[H]4U
For those fortunate guys that have upgraded to the X6 beasties I would really like to hear how they do transcoding DVD to H.264 (MP4) format. What kind of FPS do they crank out with a typical transcoder like HandBrake??

god it was a while ago, but i did Avatar, blu ray, to .mkv H264, and it didnt take more than a few hours, mighta been less though i dont remember

Used Handbrake on a portion of Caddyshack and it cranked out a average of 128fps.I do not if that is great are not.I usually use Any Video Conveter to code.

i've been using my X6 to transcode about 350 DVDs and Blu-Rays. The speed will depend on what quality settings you use. If you transcode in super-high quality, you can expect 20-30fps. If I use the mainline settings(what pirates use for torrents), I can get 70-120fps depending on the scene. All in all, much quicker than my old X4.

Also, I use the nightly builds of Handbrake. A great piece of software for H264 transcoding. Also, before anyone makes comments about how I must spend a lot of time watching TV, 90% of these are for roommates. I'm tired of hearing them bitch about how the lost this disc or scratched that disk so I built an HTPC.

I have mine OC to 3.6GHz. Overclocking the beast also helps boost those frames significantly. On an off topic, I also read somewhere that having an SSD will significantly increase your frame rates by a fairly big margin. http://techreport.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=73425

Anyways to give you an idea of my speeds, I have the RF value set to 20 which is the default and I have an 750gb WD Black HD. Here's the length it takes typically.

24 minute TV show is around 5 minutes
2 hours movie will take around 25-30 minutes (DVD quality)
BluRay's generally take about the length of the movie depending on the movie. (i.e, Avatar takes a lot longer than Office Space)

This is all I use my 1055t Clocked to 3.9ghz for..... Running ubuntu 10.04 X64 and using Handbrake if I encode dvd's to High Profile H.264 .mkv's I am getting about 57 fps I can encode about 50 movies in about 26 hrs. The X6 is awesome, well not as awesome as my dual harpertown box but for the price it cannot be beat :D

I have mine OC to 3.6GHz. Overclocking the beast also helps boost those frames significantly. On an off topic, I also read somewhere that having an SSD will significantly increase your frame rates by a fairly big margin. http://techreport.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=73425

Anyways to give you an idea of my speeds, I have the RF value set to 20 which is the default and I have an 750gb WD Black HD. Here's the length it takes typically.

24 minute TV show is around 5 minutes
2 hours movie will take around 25-30 minutes (DVD quality)
BluRay's generally take about the length of the movie depending on the movie. (i.e, Avatar takes a lot longer than Office Space)
I don't do anything with video but when transcoding 6x lossless audio files at once in foobar2000 I am definitely bottlenecked by the storage medium. I have a small SSD (30GB) for the OS and essential programs so everything else goes on my Seagate 7200.12s. For me at least it's not really worth the time swapping anything to the SSD first because the process is still fast regardless.

I know I am going ot here but if you are transcoding audio files, its best to use a ramdisk since the bottleneck by the storage medium is like huge.

Even I used foobar2k and a 512mb ramdisk (using a freeware: Gavotte) on my DDR3 and a small ahk script to move off data from the ram disk to the hard disk every few seconds and the results were astounding. What would have taken me 3 hours if I used a hdd, took me only 45 minutes, a 400% boost!

x264 encodes are obviously more cpu intensive. Cores affect encoding performance geometrically and overclocks affect encoding performance linearly and L2/L3 cache don't play much of a role.
Also x32/x64 difference is a placebo and as such the OS choice does not impact things much.

Here's an old processor comparison for x264 encoding:
http://www.techarp.com/x264_Benchmark/sd/results-trends.htm
http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=442&pgno=0#Results

Last edited:
Back