Anyone that can help me remove some nasty malware/viruses?

Bogdanov89

n00b
I was recently cleaning my sisters laptop from all the regular junk people get their computers infected by.

She was not using any kind of anti-virus or anti-malware so there is a lot of junk, and formatting the pc is not an option at this moment.

Anyway i install programs like Kaspersky Total Security, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, Norton 360, Avast and ESET to remove the junk.

One after the other (waiting for the previous to finish and then restart PC) i use each of these programs to perform the most thorough scan possible (including tweaking settings for maximum "paranoia").

To cut the story short, these programs removed A BUNCH of junk but there is still some crap on the laptop that NONE of those programs are detecting!
Neither the manual scanning nor the "constant system protection" of these programs are able to detect the obvious malware!

I can manually delete the folders of these junk/malware but it reappears either instantly or after a restart.
Sometimes they are in a form of a firefox/chrome plugin/addon, but at other times they are just regular malware that does various annoying things (mostly ad related).

So how can i get rid of all such junk, aside from a full pc format, when all the best anti-virus/malware programs have miserably failed?
Is there any way to combat these horrible malware that seem invisible to every form of scanning PC security programs have to offer?

Hmm if all else fail buddy as how you explained it all, I'd wanna go the REFORMAT route BUT saving all files first, no other choice.

First off, you should only have one real-time s canner installed at a time as they can interfere with each other.

Have you tried running Malwarebytes etc in Safe Mode?

Go here: http://www.reddit.com/r/tronscript
Download latest revision on Tron.
Boot into safe mode with networking.
Run Tron.

Be sure to read the reddit and readme so you understand what you're doing. This is very hands off and works pretty well.

I can manually delete the folders of these junk/malware but it reappears either instantly or after a restart.
Sometimes they are in a form of a firefox/chrome plugin/addon, but at other times they are just regular malware that does various annoying things (mostly ad related).

My kid had a very similar bug on their pc. I found that even after cleaning everything there were some plugins that would just pop back in there everytime the pc was restarted or even if you closed all the way out of the browser and reopened it.

I got it to stop by going into these folders and deleting the Google/Mozilla folders. Something was in there that was causing the apps/plugins to auto download.

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local
C:\Users\username\AppData\LocalLow
C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming

Hope that helps some. Good luck with it.

Here are my go-to ones that I use when removing nasty junk.

SuperAntiSpyware
Dr. Web CureIT
Spybot Search & Destroy

SuperAntiSpyware is pretty nice.. and if you want to buy the full version, go ahead and uninstall it, and then it will load a page that offeres you a 50% discount to buy it.

Dr. Web CureIT is updated at least daily. Not only do they use a randomly generated file name, but the processes names are randomly generated as well so malware and viruses that detect a lot of the scanning programs are not able to detect this one.

Spybot Search & Destroy also has an immunization feature that blocks tons of malware ridden sites.

Have you tried running Malwarebytes etc in Safe Mode?

Keyword: SAFE MODE

A common thing to also forget when removing PC's laden with malware is to disable the connection to the internet from that PC. Remove the cord or whatever you have to do. Going back to my last major issue around 2006-2009, malware is now smart enough to automatically start re-downloading itself upon reboot. Also rootkits are one of the major PITA's to remove from your system and are the main cause for this. If none of your AV's are capable of bootscans then you need to find one that can. I remember Avira used to be the only one that did this in the free version, but I think a few others do this now too.

With the way the machine seems to be infected, even if I cleaned it all I'd image it and prepare for a reinstallation. You can never fully trust your system ever again once you know you've had a rootkit.

Try shutting off your system restore while running these scans. I've ran into bugs that infect it (the restore points) and reinfects the computer every time it's booted up.

Try shutting off your system restore while running these scans. I've ran into bugs that infect it (the restore points) and reinfects the computer every time it's booted up.

Along the same line, I'll always turn off system restore, reboot and turn it back on again. This should clear any restore points and any "bad" things that are in there with them.

Back