Anyone still use VLC for blu-ray playback?

Seems the old site vlc-bluray(Dot)whoknowsmy(dot)name is dead and you can't use aacs updater anymore

Slight thread necro, I've noticed that MakeMKV has gotten pretty good at allowing anyone to play Blu-Ray disks (no ripping even needed) using MPC, VLC, or basically any other media player. You just have to go into the "Integration" options and select whatever player you want to use. From there, you just go to "play disk" (or however they label it) in your player of choice. You can't access the BD menus, but you can usually hop around using the chapter select and audio select options. They only major caveat I've noticed is that it doesn't like disks with multiple different movies. Attempting to play anything but the last one crashes every movie player I could find. Otherwise, I found playback to be terrific and depending on your player, potentially better than PowerDVD. MPC-HC and MadVR definitely looks better on my setup.
Supposedly if you have a "UHD-friendly" movie player (but NOT the legit Pioneer UHD BD drives), it'll even play those disks.
With PowerDVD getting more bloated/clumsy every year, at least there are some alternatives that don't involve Redfox or DVDFab...both of which strike me as a little sketchy.

Linux guy (most of you will skip this post now). I was recently talking to someone about the state of affairs on Linux for playing, in particular with menus, a Blu-ray disc.

What I did was install Leawo using Wine, and I was able to play one of my most problematic discs (one with extra copy protection) without much issue.

https://old.reddit.com/r/techsupport/comments/mq3vdq/how_do_i_play_raw_bluray_files/gug6b0y/

In the followup (shown) I posted a link to a video demonstrating.

Leawo's player feels a little jank (like the DVDFab lineup) with the purpose of selling a bunch of other products, but it does work. Audio can be a little wonky, but that's kinda the case with anything. You either deal with jank, or you deal with Cyberlink's mess of a product that still won't play UHD disks in 99% of cases.
I wish the whole process of playing Blu-Ray (and especially UHD Blu-Ray) wasn't such a pain in the ass on a PC. It clearly hasn't prevented piracy at all and moving forward, there isn't even a legitimate path to playing UHD disks. New Intel chipsets don't have SGX and AMD never did. Yet a simple Google search shows that there are plenty of 4K disk rips out there.

Back