Anyone still running an X99 Broadwell-E system?

I am debating if I should sale or use my 6850K, and Rampoage V Edition 10 for a server.
I moved mine to Plex/file server/DC duty a while ago. Upgraded the cpu to a multicore xeon and it sits quietly doing lots of nothing or lots of something depending on what I'm doing. I bought it years ago as I knew i'd eventually put a xeon in it and let it serve. Too bad intel gimped their stuff.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    124 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I still have my X99 build up and running; 5820k (39% Overclock), 32GB Memory, Asus Rampage V Edition 10 mobo. +

I've played around with putting my 2070 Super in it and running games at 4k I never really noticed a difference between it and my 3600 AMD system. Obviously 4k puts most of the load on the GPU, not the CPU or platform.

It's still a fine system, however, you can put together an AMD 3600 based system for a relatively similar price.

One of the reasons why I really don't overclock much, and the times I have it was never an extreme overclock (like taking my old Core 2 Quad Q9550 from 2.83 to 3.4 was the most extreme I've ever done in terms of raw MHz) or was it kept for long. With my luck, I would never hit the silicon lottery anyways.

And fun times indeed. The worst part of a fresh OS install is waiting for Windows Update to get around to doing it's thing in full.
I remember using an old ISO for Windows 10 installs and man, it'd take a day to get all the updates done.

Thankfully, you can download fresh ISOs from Microsoft using their download tool that eliminates a lot of the Windows Update waiting.

Still running my Core i7 6850k / Asus x99 Deluxe II ./ 64 Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX system
It works fine with the Windows 11 Beta Release having a TPM 2.0 module installed and Secure Boot going. Just it's an old system... damn good .. but old. I think I am satisfied enough to either run Windows 10 Pro on it for a short while more, or Upgrade to Win 11 Pro and risk no further Windows Updates. On this system the User Experience is good enough to use the New OS everyday.
Going forward...
I either save up $2000 CAD dollars and invest in a i9 10900x CPU / Asus x299 Deluxe II from Newegg dot ca....
or I save up and wait for Sapphire Rapids HEDT system to come out

At this point x299 chipset systems are getting a little long in the tooth... but it will get you there.
And with the new Windows 11 OS coming out tomorrow, x99 systems most def will fall into a Retro systems category

BlackDragon

I still run a Intel 5960x with a Titan V on an Asrock x99 as my surfing/mining rig.

Last edited:
Windows 11 Pro on Broadwell E 6th Gen / x 99 Chipset motherboard

No issues so far doing a Bare Metal Install of Windows 11 Pro via USB Media Creation Tool for my Core i7 6850k / Asus x99 Deluxe II w/ TPM module....
All Windows 10 Drivers from the Asus motherboard support page installed fine. Windows Update found drivers under Optional Updates ( Intel, Xeon ones, ASMedia USB 3 driver, ect....wanted to load Windows basic drivers before Asus drivers)... Did the Cumulative Update and Defender / Anti Malware Updates...
Autodesk software and Corel software installs without issue... and Blizzard & Steam products with no issues
Other than loading MP3s, I'm back up and running with a fresh Windows
I know this isn't a Windows subforum, but the x99 Chipset / Broadwell -E 6th Gen CPUs seem to work well with Windows 11 Pro... if you have TPM 2.0 modules and Secure Boot enabled....
I've gotten some Windows Updates, so it's not locked out for 6th Gen... how many Updates I'll get in the future is another matter maybe
There was no warning that my Hardware didn't meet Requirements -> Hit Accept... just a smooth Install process.

Specs in my Sig
Anyone else have success with a Bare Metal Install of Windows 11 Pro on 6th Gen Broadwell E CPUs ?

Last edited:
Im still running a 5820 on an X99. It does what I need it to.

The used market for Intel is pretty crap right now. Nothing pre-Skylake is going to do much better than the budget 4c/8t modern chips, and RAM is cheap as hell, so no incentive really. For games anyway. If you need tons of threads, there are still options, but they are going to have to be productivity focused rigs I would say. Still just a bad time to build/ upgrade, what with the scamdemic.
Bro I’m still running my 3960x on x79 and it’s still very relevant. Have had it overclocking for 8 years now at 4.9 ghz all core at 1.35V. This thing is a beast!

Looks like a lot of good capable hardware is set for landfill in 18 months time.

Windows 11 Pro on Broadwell E 6th Gen / x 99 Chipset motherboard

No issues so far doing a Bare Metal Install of Windows 11 Pro via USB Media Creation Tool for my Core i7 6850k / Asus x99 Deluxe II w/ TPM module....
All Windows 10 Drivers from the Asus motherboard support page installed fine. Windows Update found drivers under Optional Updates ( Intel, Xeon ones, ASMedia USB 3 driver, ect....wanted to load Windows basic drivers before Asus drivers)... Did the Cumulative Update and Defender / Anti Malware Updates...
Autodesk software and Corel software installs without issue... and Blizzard & Steam products with no issues
Other than loading MP3s, I'm back up and running with a fresh Windows
I know this isn't a Windows subforum, but the x99 Chipset / Broadwell -E 6th Gen CPUs seem to work well with Windows 11 Pro... if you have TPM 2.0 modules and Secure Boot enabled....
I've gotten some Windows Updates, so it's not locked out for 6th Gen... how many Updates I'll get in the future is another matter maybe
There was no warning that my Hardware didn't meet Requirements -> Hit Accept... just a smooth Install process.

Specs in my Sig
Anyone else have success with a Bare Metal Install of Windows 11 Pro on 6th Gen Broadwell E CPUs ?
How did you get a TPM 20+1 2.0 module without paying scalper $200+ prices? I want one so I can get off 10

How did you get a TPM 20+1 2.0 module without paying scalper $200+ prices? I want one so I can get off 10

TPM 2 wont work fully with X99 for 11? Your CPU (certainly) and board will still not be properly supported. Hence why I said a lot of gear will be dumped soon. Folks here will want a fully supported 11 setup and the value of non Windows 11 capable gear will plummet with just three years of 10 support left. That X99 rig will likely be pushed aside and given away rather than sold on for a few hundred $ like we may have hoped a year ago.

Wait and see. But most likely most of you hold outs will have upgraded by this time next year. I most likely will have.

Last edited:
I am not too worried about win 11 not running on X99, we have it on a VM and it is garbage looks like a touch tablet OS. IMHO.

TPM 2 wont work fully with X99 for 11? Your CPU (certainly) and board will still not be properly supported. Hence why I said a lot of gear will be dumped soon. Folks here will want a fully supported 11 setup and the value of non Windows 11 capable gear will plummet with just three years of 10 support left. That X99 rig will likely be pushed aside and given away rather than sold on for a few hundred $ like we may have hoped a year ago.

Wait and see. But most likely most of you hold outs will have upgraded by this time next year. I most likely will have.
I upgraded mine early this year; and going from an x99 5960x (OC'ed to 4.7Ghz) to a Ryzen 5950X was a massive jump in performance for gaming and workloads.

I loved my x99 setup though, it's my streaming/movie/music PC now hooked up to my entertainment center. Windows 10 will be fine for that for years to come. Hell, I can still play games on that setup if I really want too as it has a 2080Ti in it... lol.

Literally I bought one shortly before scalpers started jacking prices for the ASUS 14-1 pin TPM R2.0 module compatible for an ASUS x99 Deluxe II motherboard. My old TPM module (TPM 1.2) for an ASUS x99 Deluxe (gen I) motherboard would not fit on the Deluxe II motherboard (TPM 2.0) ... so I bought another module. And then news of Windows 11 System Req came out and prices went up...
Checked my Purchase History
14-1 pin ASUS TPM-M R2.0 module

Bought June 03, 2021 for $19.99 CAD from Newegg Canada's eBay Seller (no longer offered on from Seller on eBay)

Your best bet now for the ASUS 14-1pin TPM-M R2.0 module...
is from Seller micol-95 @ 39.99 GBP ($68.14 CAD) $39.12 CAD Shipping + Import fees..$107.xx CAD plus about $13 CAD import fees roughly... (good price for scalping)

Yeah prices go up F*ing scalpers
Pays to early adopt sometimes....

Last edited:
I upgraded mine early this year; and going from an x99 5960x (OC'ed to 4.7Ghz) to a Ryzen 5950X was a massive jump in performance for gaming and workloads.

I loved my x99 setup though, it's my streaming/movie/music PC now hooked up to my entertainment center. Windows 10 will be fine for that for years to come. Hell, I can still play games on that setup if I really want too as it has a 2080Ti in it... lol.
Running an ASUS x99 Deluxe II / i7 6850k with TPM 2.0 & Secure Boot enabled on Windows 11 Pro Build 22000.282 right now. Updates are regular...

I am not too worried about win 11 not running on X99, we have it on a VM and it is garbage looks like a touch tablet OS. IMHO.
it works on x99 if you have the TPM 2.0 running and Secure Boot enabled.... regular bare metal install was used, no Reg hacks... I get Windows Updates
And it runs very well in a non VM/ regular enviro ... better than 10 (IMHO)
Maybe you should switch to Linux if you don't like GUI desktops... or use DOS or CP/M OS
Right Click > View> Small Icons is your friend...
also set Scaling to 100% or Resolution to something higher than 1080p... play with it
Also, out of the box Windows 8.. 8.1... 10.. and 11 are made with Touch Enabled displays in mind... that's a "thing" for the last few OS's, they have that functionality built in.... they are going to design for that in mind as well... get used to it

Last edited:
Literally I bought one shortly before scalpers started jacking prices for the ASUS 14-1 pin TPM R2.0 module compatible for an ASUS x99 Deluxe II motherboard. My old TPM module (TPM 1.2) for an ASUS x99 Deluxe (gen I) motherboard would not fit on the Deluxe II motherboard (TPM 2.0) ... so I bought another module. And then news of Windows 11 System Req came out and prices went up...
Checked my Purchase History
14-1 pin ASUS TPM-M R2.0 module

Bought June 03, 2021 for $19.99 CAD from Newegg Canada's eBay Seller (no longer offered on from Seller on eBay)

Your best bet now for the ASUS 14-1pin TPM-M R2.0 module...
is from Seller micol-95 @ 39.99 GBP ($68.14 CAD) $39.12 CAD Shipping + Import fees..$107.xx CAD plus about $13 CAD import fees roughly... (good price for scalping)

Yeah prices go up F*ing scalpers
Pays to early adopt sometimes....
I would wait rather than pay a scalper a cent for a minor OS upgrade. No idea why people are in a rush to upgrade to W11 anyhow.

I would wait rather than pay a scalper a cent for a minor OS upgrade. No idea why people are in a rush to upgrade to W11 anyhow.
You realize I paid $19.99 Canadian dollars for the item, before scalpers started demanding outrageous prices... get ahead of the trend

x99/broadwell ddr4 memory controller is pretty terrible. and theyre picky with kits, dont expect late generation ddr4 ICs to post . i would shoot for 2666mt/s even 3000mt/s or 3200mt/s is pushing it.

still on a 5930k. runs everything well. when people have widespread issues this system doesn't most of the time which is interesting.

only thing that uses a lot of cycles is DRM filled ubisoft games. nothing else comes close.

Back