Anyone still play Lord of the Rings Online?

Tudz

Supreme [H]ardness
G'day all,

I've been getting back into this game recently, played it yeeaaaars ago and found it quite fun.

I was just wondering, what's the best way to go with subscriptions for it? I've just been playing a couple of days and already I'm reaching the point where I need Turbine points to buy this or Turbine points to buy that... and they're really quite expensive.

If you subscribe, does it unlock all the quests and things so I never have to hear about TP again? Or am I still going to be hounded by "sorry, if you want to do this quest you're going to have to give us another $2 worth of TP".

Basically is it worth subscribing, or am I better off just buying TP separately and buying shit in game?

I'm at the stage now where I wanna get a horse so need to know if its worth dropping the $$$ to get TP or just buy a couple of months subscription instead.

I've been playing for about a year now. The only real money I spent was $10 on Mines of Moria retail box and $15 on Isengard during the BF sale. I got most of the other quest and skirmish packs with Turbine Points when they were on sale.

What I like about this game is that you don't need to spend any real money and just grind out the TPs. Or you can spend real money to save time and avoid the grind. So the choice is really up to you.

And you shouldn't need TP to get a horse. It should be free at lvl 20 after completing a quest at the horse farm.

According to what I've read, its only free at level 20 if you have a VIP account, otherwise you have to buy the riding skill which is 95 TP. I'm actually at 60TP just for doing nothing exceptional, though I'm not sure what to do to get more of them quickly.

I'm not really into the grinding for TP thing, I only get a few hours a week to game, so would much rather spend them doing the main quests than grinding. That's partly what's pushing me toward a VIP account, since you get rest XP on a VIP account which would benefit me not playing that often.

So are you VIP or just a free user? Maybe I'll just buy a few TP to get the horse and then decide whether to get VIP later. This game without a horse is a bit annoying because of all the running about you have to do for quests.

It's been my main game since it went f2p, some 15 months ago. A have subscribed at times, but mostly I'm just premium (meaning I spent real money at some point). If you think you'll stick with it for a while, I would recommend VIP for 1 month to unlock the extra bags, trait slots, gold cap, swift travel and a bunch of other stuff for every character you log in on during that time.

This will also unlock all the (non-expansion) quest areas in that time, to allow you to progress through some content at least. You can then use the 500 free points you'll also get to buy the next area that interests you. The best deal when f2p launched was the Moria expansion that also gave you a month VIP. I think you can probably still find it for $20 or so. I also had luck on my sons account buying the old Shadows of Angmar box for a couple of bucks, and that unlocked VIP for 30-days.

Edit: most of your TP at that level will come from deeds. The lower-level slayer ones are only to kill 90 or so critters of the same type, so check your deed log to see which ones you are close to. They also give traits, as does doing a certain number of quests in the same area.

So are you VIP or just a free user? Maybe I'll just buy a few TP to get the horse and then decide whether to get VIP later. This game without a horse is a bit annoying because of all the running about you have to do for quests.

I was VIP for a month that came with the moria box.
If you're at the point where you can get a horse and still enjoy the game, I would definitely do VIP for one month, which will unlock some goodies and give you access to the next quest areas for a month. After that, you save up TPs to buy additional quests packs or buy TPs for the quest packs as you go along. Quest packs go on sale once in a while.

You can also sign up for 3 months of VIP for $9.99 per month and get 500 TPs per month while VP. It makes getting some of those quest packs way easier without spending a fortune.

Yeah the 3 month option is good, I do that one, actually. I haven't been playing as much with Skyrim being out. I still have the urge all the time and I love how casual it is. I've done some small raids and team skirmishes and had a blast. They're detailed and fun but not necessary which I like because I still have somewhat of a life.

If you do the 3 month subscription that recur and that gives you VIP access with all the quests, and like Yippee said you get 500 turbine points every month. So yeah that's a good option.

Well I've been playing for a bit now, just over level 20, still haven't paid for anything yet. It seems the Lone Lands is mostly free to play. Still trying to decide whether to subscribe or not, can't make up my mind.

Is it just me or is everything easier than it used to be? Its been a few years since I've played, but everything just seems like its been modified to promote solo play rather than fellowship play. After I got past about level 15 money started pouring in and I don't even have to think before buying things and I'm only ever doing quests that are 2-4 levels above mine since all the equal level ones are dead easy even when doing them solo. I remember having to form fellowships to get through quests, but I've soloed my way to level 23 and it seems barely anyone even forms fellowships. I keep asking people do join fellowships and they ignore until they're forced to for some reason then they just leave again. I remember a major fellowship quest used to be weathertop against the Troll, but now they let you do it solo, which is dead easy compared to trying to do it with a fellowship.

Just an FYI, once the game went free to play, the game went downhill dramatically. Turbine's philosophy is to basically milk as much money out of you without giving you shit in return. The amount of people at the end game stage has taken a huge hit lately. Most people are pissed that they keep offering stuff in the store, that if you don't buy, puts you at a disadvantage. It's not a huge deal on the PvE side, yet... But on the PvP side of the game, the store advantages are ludicrous. People joke that it's pay2win.

About the only reason I still play is I still have a few friends left that play, when they are done, I am out of there.

Fuck Turbine.

Looking at the store prices for things, if you buy things piecemeal it looks like it can add up to be very expensive very quickly, especially if you're lazy like me and have no intention of grinding for TP. I'm still tempted to get a few months subscription, simply because I love LOTR and would like to go explore more of the world and go through more quests, but overall I'm a bit disappointed compared to the memories I had of the game when I played it for a month or two a few years ago. I do hate being bombarded with microtransaction marketing all the time as well.

I do hate being bombarded with microtransaction marketing all the time as well.

ya, and even if you have already purchased whatever they are advertising in game, they still bombard you with their fucking bullshit. I am a VIP member, and everytime I log in, bam, go to the store and upgrade your bag space... It gets annoying very quickly.

I have a friend who bought the lifetime membership at launch, she goes on every few months and spends the points it gives her each month. I played at launch, played a couple years ago, and still have it installed, but I'm not overly happy. I paid for the damn game, I dont want to have to buy the quests for areas that I fucking bought the game/expansions for now that its f2p. I paid for the content in the first place, now I have to buy it again because it's f2p? fuck that. Thats the only reason I dont play anymore. I have to pay for quests that I already paid for when I bought the game before it was f2p. My account was a beta account, and I liked the game quite a lot. But when they went f2p, I wasnt happy.

Back