Anyone snag a 3090 today?

4634BB0E-EC22-46F7-BC6F-B8B2708DA7AB.jpeg

From this week’s BB drop.

Anyone want an evga 3090 ftw3 ultra? Managed to get one from amazon when they went live a little bit ago.. I don't want it.. will cancel if no one wants it.

73088385-31B3-43C0-AECA-08D67F0D6219.jpeg
I'll have to see if I keep this on Wednesday next week depending on RX6000 reviews.

I got mine today from the Best Buy drop last week. Edit: Here is a picture of the box like everyone else is showing instead of my dusty case. My computer did crash and restarted when playing MS Flight Simulator 2020 but with no other games. I might have to upgrade my Corsair HX 850 watt power supply.

Attachments

• 20201129_171949.jpg
    20201129_171949.jpg
    273 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I got mine today from the Best Buy drop last week. Way bigger and heavier than I thought. Feels like a large power brick. Pictures don't do it justice. I had a 1080 and so far I'm getting 2.5 times the framerates. Wanted a 3080 but all I could get was the 3090. I know it's dusty, the cable management is poor, and I'm going to be slowed down by my 8700K. Will upgrade in the future. It fits in my HAF X case but I had to take the side panel fan shroud off. The corsair HX850 seems to be holding up. No computer crashes yet.

View attachment 302251
If you are tossing a new GPU in there why not just also spray the thing out with compressed air while you’re at it? That thing looks like it should’ve been cleaned months if not years ago.

I got mine today from the Best Buy drop last week. Way bigger and heavier than I thought. Feels like a large power brick. Pictures don't do it justice. I had a 1080 and so far I'm getting 2.5 times the framerates. Wanted a 3080 but all I could get was the 3090. I know it's dusty, the cable management is poor, and I'm going to be slowed down by my 8700K. Will upgrade in the future. It fits in my HAF X case but I had to take the side panel fan shroud off. The corsair HX850 seems to be holding up. No computer crashes yet.

View attachment 302251
why so much dust

My favorite investment from 5+ years ago...I use it anytime I put in new hardware. I drag my case outside and spray like mad:

Metro Vacuum ED500P DataVac 500-Watt, 0.75-HP Electric Duster​

Amazon product ASIN B001U899HQ

I dropped that same model from 5 feet(on accident) and all it did was dent the metal and continue functioning great. Definitely a great purchase and beats buying canned air.

Got my EVGA notice today but passed as I was able to get a 3080 at Newegg. Its ($1800+) just too much for a video card.

[Notice] EVGA Product Availability Update Notification – 24G-P5-3987-KR

My favorite investment from 5+ years ago...I use it anytime I put in new hardware. I drag my case outside and spray like mad:

Metro Vacuum ED500P DataVac 500-Watt, 0.75-HP Electric Duster​

Amazon product ASIN B001U899HQ
I've used the same thing for around 5 years now, it's one of those items that if it eventually goes bad I wouldn't hesistate replacing it with the same model. It's saved me hundreds on canned air.

Amazon is taking preorders for this MSI 3090 card that ships on Dec 6th. $1,549.99.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B08HR9D2JS/

MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDRR6X 384-Bit HDMI/DP Nvlink Torx Fan 3 Ampere Architecture OC Graphics Card (RTX 3090 Ventus 3X 24G OC)

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Gigabyte VISION 3090

Your return (RMA Number: ) was successfully delivered to the returns warehouse on 11/27/2020. Once the returned package is opened, we will notify you via email to inform you of the contents received. Please allow 3-5 business days for your return to process. Due to item availability, some repair/replacement returns may be delayed or refunded.
Your return ( RMA Number: ) has been posted, which means that the contents have been verified and your return has been approved.
We are no longer carrying the item(s), unfortunately we are unable to process a replacement. We have arranged for a refund. You will receive your refund within 3-5 business days to the original form of payment.

No worries mate:) taco had that opened bottle of cognac, barely any flammable left in it really. Finally able to get her emptied! I love you!💜

Sorry if taco comment was informal. Didn't mean in any offe sive manner
Hope things get better for you and your family. (y)
Well, this is definitely going to be you in the near-future, ready to take on 2021 in style! :cool:

XVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmltYWdlLm9wZXJhdGlvbnMiXX0.jpg

No worries mate:) taco had that opened bottle of cognac, barely any flammable left in it really. Finally able to get her emptied! I love you!💜

Sorry if taco comment was informal. Didn't mean in any offe sive manner
Hope things get better for you and your family. (y)
Well, this is definitely going to be you in the near-future, ready to take on 2021 in style! :cool:

View attachment 303902
RIG2020.jpg

I just grabbed my EVGA Geforce RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming (WTF is with the ridiculous name?). They had a load of these at the local computer store for some reason. Their site listed it as 5+, EVGA must be getting some product out through the channels. I didn't see much else, the GPU shelves were so empty, LOL.

I upgraded from my Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti FE, primarily because I plan to build a new rig and demote this one to a VR rig in the living room when the AMD 5000 series processors become available. No way I'm going with an AMD card and not getting to bennefit from Gsync in the 4k HDR monitor...

Yea, I know the performance per $ sucks on the 3090 and all that, people said the same thing about the RTX 2080 Ti, but I never really regretted buying that card over the last two years and there is still tons of life for my VR stuff, so I'm happy.

I can't get over how cool and quiet this EVGA 3090 is though. Noticeably better than the 2080 Ti FE card it replaced even though it consumes tons power apparently and I had to run another PCI-E connector up to the card since there are 3x 8 Pins on this bad boy... WOW, haha.

I just grabbed my EVGA Geforce RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming (WTF is with the ridiculous name?). They had a load of these at the local computer store for some reason. Their site listed it as 5+, EVGA must be getting some product out through the channels. I didn't see much else, the GPU shelves were so empty, LOL.

I upgraded from my Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti FE, primarily because I plan to build a new rig and demote this one to a VR rig in the living room when the AMD 5000 series processors become available. No way I'm going with an AMD card and not getting to bennefit from Gsync in the 4k HDR monitor...

Yea, I know the performance per $ sucks on the 3090 and all that, people said the same thing about the RTX 2080 Ti, but I never really regretted buying that card over the last two years and there is still tons of life for my VR stuff, so I'm happy.

I can't get over how cool and quiet this EVGA 3090 is though. Noticeably better than the 2080 Ti FE card it replaced even though it consumes tons power apparently and I had to run another PCI-E connector up to the card since there are 3x 8 Pins on this bad boy... WOW, haha.
There is always nay say'ers... My 2080Ti has given me solid years of 4K gaming with RT on while others said RT was not ready for games.. yadda yadda... :p Let us know how the FTW3 turns out, I have my eye on the same exact card, if I ever luck out and find one...

I played a bunch of different games last night and no issues. The card stays cool and quiet. I didn't think I would care about the RGB strip lighting on the card but it actually looks pretty slick when I customized it to match my Corsair Keyboard / Mouse / CPU cooler, much better than the fixed bright Green Nvidia RTX logo on the 2080 Ti FE card... Also it seems like the settings for this are written to the card because they persist even during reboot which is nice to see... Doesn't rely on an RGB software always running to function...

Being able to max everything out in battlefield V and get 80-90 FPS at 4k (including the Ray Tracing effects) is insane. In fact, so insane that my CPU can't keep up. CPU was literally pinned at 100% CPU usage trying to keep up with this card in that game which did cause some stuttering issues at times... I didn't really observe anything quite so CPU limited with the other games I tried out, but it is a good reminder that the 6700k, even though it is overclocked to 4.6 GHz is old and needs to GTFO.

I played a bunch of different games last night and no issues. The card stays cool and quiet. I didn't think I would care about the RGB strip lighting on the card but it actually looks pretty slick when I customized it to match my Corsair Keyboard / Mouse / CPU cooler, much better than the fixed bright Green Nvidia RTX logo on the 2080 Ti FE card... Also it seems like the settings for this are written to the card because they persist even during reboot which is nice to see... Doesn't rely on an RGB software always running to function...

Being able to max everything out in battlefield V and get 80-90 FPS at 4k (including the Ray Tracing effects) is insane. In fact, so insane that my CPU can't keep up. CPU was literally pinned at 100% CPU usage trying to keep up with this card in that game which did cause some stuttering issues at times... I didn't really observe anything quite so CPU limited with the other games I tried out, but it is a good reminder that the 6700k, even though it is overclocked to 4.6 GHz is old and needs to GTFO.
Interesting; and yeah, I like the RGB on my 2080Ti FTW3, I have it match my themes as well depending on what I am playing.

Curious on BFV; I play that now at 4K, with RT on and get about 100~110 FPS on a 2080Ti, but I also use 85% render scaling (as DLSS 1.0 looks like shit in that game). I think I also use RT set to Medium or High, not Ultra. TBH, I did not notice much quality difference in that game between Ultra vs. medium on the RT side of things, but that is also the nature of that game. Stare at the RT too long and you get shot... haha. It looks amazing on Rotterdam though.

I'd love to see where my 5960x at 4.625Ghz stands on a 3090. Being 8C/16T, I am hoping at 4K I will still be very much GPU limited and not CPU limited.

Snagged a below Msrp Asus TUF 3090 OC.

Hmm limited to 375W probably won't be a good clocker but couldn't pass up a new in box for $1350 total.

Going to put it on water but damn water blocks are $180+

4K LG CX here I come.

Yea. I have basically made my mind up that I don't want to mess with water cooling GPUs... Mostly I don't really want to tear down a $2400 (CAD) GPU, but the performance improvement doesn't seem to be there from I've seen, especially this generation, a pretty minimal benefit performance wise from overclocking on water vs air. The cooler on this thing is so beefy and quiet, it doesn't really seem necessary.

Water cooling looks cool, but costs big $$$ and while somewhat minor, should be maintained occasionally. Swapping components in and out becomes a pain as well. If there was more of a performance benefit, I might be more convinced to try it. I have priced out custom water loops many times in the last 4-5 years but I feel like now more than ever, it's just not that necessary for GPUs which is crazy considering how much power they consume, these air coolers have gotten really good, especially on these top tier cards.

I personally do not water cool my GPU, but a buddy at work has the exact same video card as me under water. All it does is allow him to maintain boost clocks the ENTIRE time vs. temps rising to about 60~65C and cutting clocks down by 15Mhz for every 5C in temp. So he maintains his temps around 45~50C and benches higher, but overall, makes minor difference in gaming.

looks like theres shunt modding and Volt modding that can raise the power limit of 2x8pin cards, some people started running Gigabyte 3090 bioses that also have 2x8pin to achieve 390+wattage

Gotta order things and brush up on my soldering skills

go big or go home lol

looks like theres shunt modding and Volt modding that can raise the power limit of 2x8pin cards, some people started running Gigabyte 3090 bioses that also have 2x8pin to achieve 390+wattage

Gotta order things and brush up on my soldering skills

go big or go home lol

Hmm...not sure how comfortable I would be to pull over 375w with a GPU with only 2x8 pin connectors. The 8 pin connectors supply 150w each and the PCI-E slot I believe maxes out at 75w as well.

Clearly loosing my mind here, but just put in a preorder for the new interesting MSI GeForce RTX 3090 Suprim X. :rolleyes:

The retailer currently expect to ship it just before the end of the year. I can write it off in this business year if the invoice is send before the end of December so had to go for a card that looks like it has a realistic time frame. This was one of the few good ones. If it slips into next year, I might cancel and reevaluate.

Heads up: Central Computers in the SF Bay Area has at least 10 eVGA FTW3 Ultra and XC3 Ultra 3090s in stock, but you have to buy them in person in the stores. They also have a few Asus Dark Hero motherboards (I bought a 3090 and that motherboard at the one in Sunnyvale today).

Last edited:
Back