Anyone snag a 3090 today?

oldmanbal

2[H]4U
I saw a few come into stock on newegg, added them all to my cart, every single one got removed on checkout within the first minute.

Same at bestbuy.com

evga was crashed, when it came up, all oos

Nvidia.com was completely broken. It was reporting european prices, and when you clicked the check availability, it went from notify me to oos, and gave european options to buy it, which were all oos.

This is all at 9:01am est.

Also didn't get a single back in stock notice from the 20 something I requested across all etailers.

cJSdsxA.jpg

Tried for the amusement and was able to place one in the cart. Felt like I won.

Last edited:
Almost... but I never got to complete checkout.

Attachments

• almost 3090.jpg
    almost 3090.jpg
    238.9 KB · Views: 0
I was able to add them to my cart on Best Buy and NVIDIA's websites. I never made it through the checkout process before they magically disappeared or went no where in the case of NVIDIA's website.

I guess will be chugging along on my GTX 1080 FE for a little while longer...bummer. I was kind of hoping to be able to have a new card to put into my new build without having to transfer hardware over from my old system.

Never even saw the in stock pages at any of the sites, unlike other people here. Perhaps it's location oriented?

I know some people complained about NewEgg and NVidia going slow, but they loaded quickly for me, so I assumed I got hit by cached pages.

Oh well, at least hopefully they'll have cards available within 6 months, as I doubt I'll get a 3090 before the new year with the new normal of bots buying everything.

Based on the reviews, I think it's safe to say Nvidia did us all a solid by not having any available XD
Holy crap they weren't kidding... I still think nVidia has something up their sleeve but maybe not. It's only 10 - 15% faster. This screams that it's at the limit. But I really don't believe it given the power numbers. If they are though.... that's not good. And with people reporting boosting problems it looks like as some have said there's a binning difference between AIB and FE.

Holy crap they weren't kidding... I still think nVidia has something up their sleeve but maybe not. It's only 10 - 15% faster. This screams that it's at the limit. But I really don't believe it given the power numbers. If they are though.... that's not good. And with people reporting boosting problems it looks like as some have said there's a binning difference between AIB and FE.
3090 dollar per frame.png

Those 1792 cores over the 2080 scaled horrendously, 20% more cores, only 5-10% more performance. Yuck.

Has several more RT and Tensor cores, and that may help in other scenarios, would like to see some ray-tracing enabled game benchmarks like Battlefield and whatever else supports it.

Those 1792 cores over the 2080 scaled horrendously, 20% more cores, only 5-10% more performance. Yuck.

Has several more RT and Tensor cores, and that may help in other scenarios, would like to see some ray-tracing enabled game benchmarks like Battlefield and whatever else supports it.

Single threaded, the reviews which profile the raytraced games are about the same, 5-15% difference. The only difference you might get with more are a handful (and I mean handful) of DX12 & Vulkan games.

For me though, I was also going for the CUDA cores for non gaming related stuff. If it wasn't for that, I might have been considering AMD.

3090 is a beast for rendering and blender. It halves the time to complete workloads vs RTX Titan according to Jayz2Cents.
As for gaming it's only about 10-15% faster than the RTX 3080.

I think Nvidia intentionally gimped the memory on the 3080 to differentiate their roles.

3080 with 10GB for mainstream gaming. 3090 with 24GB for professional renders/workloads.

Seems fair. And no, nobody can get them unless you're a scalper, a reviewer, or subscribed to the buy BOTS like Bounce.

So there you go. At least it's not due to the mining craze this time around.

I'd say you're gonna need to wait a month or two before these 3080/3090s come back in stock. And why isn't there a buy 1 per household limit instituted by Nvidia and the AIBs? I mean that's what bots do - buy up all stock and sell them off at DOUBLE the price on ebay/etc.

This is just stupid now. I was really excited to buy a 3080... I had money set aside just for it, was gonna donate my 2070 to my kids PC and looked forward stretching out my 240 Hz monitor. Now, I'm kinda over it. I think I'll end up replacing my 15 (yes 15) year old computer chair instead and maybe investing in a M.2 hard drive.

3090 is a beast for rendering and blender. It halves the time to complete workloads vs RTX Titan according to Jayz2Cents.
As for gaming it's only about 10-15% faster than the RTX 3080.

I think Nvidia intentionally gimped the memory on the 3080 to differentiate their roles.

3080 with 10GB for mainstream gaming. 3090 with 24GB for professional renders/workloads.

Seems fair. And no, nobody can get them unless you're a scalper, a reviewer, or subscribed to the buy BOTS like Bounce.

So there you go. At least it's not due to the mining craze this time around.

I'd say you're gonna need to wait a month or two before these 3080/3090s come back in stock. And why isn't there a buy 1 per household limit instituted by Nvidia and the AIBs? I mean that's what bots do - buy up all stock and sell them off at DOUBLE the price on ebay/etc.
While your logic makes sense, they were purposefully advertising it as a gaming card. If they marketed it as a productivity card, these arguments would make sense.

While your logic makes sense, they were purposefully advertising it as a gaming card. If they marketed it as a productivity card, these arguments would make sense.

The performance is super disappointing for the price. I might get one because I'm an idiot, but this has been the closest I've been to settling for second best at a release cycle since the GTX2XX series.

The performance is super disappointing for the price. I might get one because I'm an idiot, but this has been the closest I've been to settling for second best at a release cycle since the GTX2XX series.

Same. Although, I was never going for an RTX 2080 given I had a pair of 1080 Ti's in SLI at the time. The RTX 2080 Ti is the only thing that made sense to me.

I mean, I don't care that people buy them for whatever. It's a hobby. Some people buy $10,000 engines for a car they drive 100 miles a year. It's up to you if you think it's worth it. I was just dissapointed at the fact it's touted as a gaming card, but really is meant/more useful for productivity. The gaming benefit is not a great perf/$, which most high end parts aren't, but this one especially. The card does have plenty of usefulness outside of gaming which is why I wasn't a fan of the marketing leading people to believe it'd be some wonderful awesome gaming card. But as I said, I'm not judging if you want or get one if you want the best and are willing to pay for it, then get it. If you can live without the small difference and don't mind a few hundred $$ to put towards something else, then don't get it.

Checked Newegg and seen a Zotac in stock, but couldn't bring myself to do it, as I got other things to spend money on at the moment.

Hell no, I bet you could put an ounce of Gold on a table next to a 3090 and 100% of the time people would pick the 3090.

Waiting for Big Navi, hope AMD is taking notes on how to NOT launch a graphics card.

Yes and oddly enough I didn't use a bot but I did have access to the direct digital river cart link for the 3090 and snagged it immediately:
confirmed3090.jpg
I guess I could consider this thing a collectors item at this point? LOL. Not sure if I'd be inclined to keep this behemoth or not, it's already paid off so I guess I could just upsell it to someone for +$200 for a tiny profit or just hang on to it and stretch my e-peen. Hmm..decisions..

There's a reason Mercedes and BMW exists.... fuc value. /s
But no really, people shitting on the most badass card out there for its bad 'value' really do need a reality check.

There's a reason Mercedes and BMW exists.... fuc value. /s
But no really, people shitting on the most badass card out there for its bad 'value' really do need a reality check.

I'm one of them that thinks its a terrible value for 99.9% of people out there but there's the 0.1% that do have a use for it.

AMD marketed the Radeon VII as a gaming card, but it was really meant for productivity. Especially fp64 compute work.

Who cares?

Yes and oddly enough I didn't use a bot but I did have access to the direct digital river cart link for the 3090 and snagged it immediately:
View attachment 282464
I guess I could consider this thing a collectors item at this point? LOL. Not sure if I'd be inclined to keep this behemoth or not, it's already paid off so I guess I could just upsell it to someone for +$200 for a tiny profit or just hang on to it and stretch my e-peen. Hmm..decisions..

Up sell for $200? I bet most scalpers are doubling up their money. Lol. Now is the time to sell if you are intending to profit.

The only way you could get a FE from Nvidia site is if you used the straight to cart/checkout link which was all over the discord groups. Anyone trying to add and check out from the landing page had very little chance of success.

AMD marketed the Radeon VII as a gaming card, but it was really meant for productivity. Especially fp64 compute work.

Who cares?
Obviously you don't, but people in the market for one might... If your not disappointed, cool. I just don't like being led to believe one thing, then keeping benchmarks until you already have to make a purchasing decision, to find out it's not really what they said it was. If that happens from Nvidia, AMD or Intel I still get disappointed... The "but he did it to" defense is a non starter.

I'm not a dirty scalper though. If I were to sell for a tiny profit, it would be to someone here on [H].

cool. If you do that you should create a thread and do a lottery and pick a winner at random to buy your 3090 at your designated mark up price.

Looks like I should have been F5-ing at EVGA's site. Newegg was a complete crap-shoot.

evga was a f'ing mess.. I spent, and I shit you not an hour and 45 minutes trying to check out for a 3090 ftw 3 ultra. I made it to submit order (last step of many) 8 times and each time the web server failed.. rest of the time I made it part way through before their web server would die and have to start over. All this time the card was still in stock (kept refreshing product page tab to verify). There must of been thousands of people all doing the same thing, trying to complete checkout. So ultimately I did not get one.. but I did step up to one right when it went live to be able to select the 3090 ftw3 ultra to step up to. Hopefully I am not far down that queue and get one soonish. Still have not been able to get a 3080 either, distill has not done me any good this release.

Back