Anyone seriously considering the 4070 TI

Traditional 60-class card design with 70 Ti branding that they were going to try to get away with calling a 4080. This is a great card....for maybe closer to $400ish.

I present the following to show how similar this card is to a 3060. Call me crazy, AD104 looks an awful lot like traditional 106 silicon to me.

MSI Gaming X RTX 4070 Ti:
View attachment 540041

MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 3060:
View attachment 540042
Power delivery on the 3060 does look a bit lower end, but not a 400 dollar difference. Do we have a rough estimate of price different per chip? I would fathom yields are very good for both, but that samsung node was cheap. I want to see it against a 3060 ti or 3070.

What would that prove other than AIBs being lazy as fuck and trying to minimize cost while maximizing profit? :cautious:
Because it would be a new $800 card running on a $330 last-gen board.
It would be AIB's tacitly acknowledging that the 4070 Ti is actually a low tier GPU.

The power requirements between the two GPU's probably make it impossible.

The actual 4070Ti PCBs honestly seem fine other than -104 boards costing close to $1000 now. Compared to MSI Suprim X 3070Ti, the 4070Ti Gaming-X PCB itself doesn't seem so dire... I would honestly be more offended if it did have the second row of VRMs from MSI's similar 3090Ti/4080/4090 layout because that would mean the power consumption of AD104 being similar to GA102 which would be BAD ;) TBF it seems a win that a board that looks like that can run with GA102, if price was a couple hundo less 4070Ti would be a good card.

MSI 3070Ti Suprim-X - TPU
TPU_MSI_3070Ti_front_full.jpg

This will be a nice card in about 12-18 months for half of what it is going for. Anyone who buys this now is looney tunes and flushing money down the 🚽

The actual 4070Ti PCBs honestly seem fine other than -104 boards costing close to $1000 now. Compared to MSI Suprim X 3070Ti, the 4070Ti Gaming-X PCB itself doesn't seem so dire... I would honestly be more offended if it did have the second row of VRMs from MSI's similar 3090Ti/4080/4090 layout because that would mean the power consumption of AD104 being similar to GA102 which would be BAD ;) TBF it seems a win that a board that looks like that can run with GA102, if price was a couple hundo less 4070Ti would be a good card.

MSI 3070Ti Suprim-X - TPU
View attachment 540057
Fair about the board design. I'd still say the AD104 silicon itself more closely resembles a traditional 106 though. Only reason its 104 is the existence of 103 this gen for the 4080. Normally that silicon would the the 104 and this would be the 106.

They're big because they're trying to look like a $900 product.

Call me crazy but if I'm paying $800+ for a gpu, I want a rgb clown show, disco lights galore. Something to justify a big 3 fan card and heatsink that probably isn't needed. It also better be whisper quiet with 3 fans going.

If I didn't buy a 3080 last year and was still on my 1080Ti I might have considered it, for $800.

At the moment? Hell no.

Some interesting anecdotal information indicating (to the surprise of absolutely no one) that the 4070ti is selling worse than the 4080.

He claims to receive his information from sources at US retailers, so I am happy to accept what he says at face value unless you can point to something demonstrating a history of lying.

I'm buying a new card (The Netherlands) Which one should i get the RTX 3090 used or the RTX 4070 ti new if i could get them at the same price?

PC gaming is going suffer because of the cost. Kind of sucks, way too gentrified now. It's the San Francisco of gaming.

it depends on how you game. Do you need 4K, max graphics, max RT, etc or just 1080 medium settings? You can easily PC game on a 1660 or 580 if you are ok with 1080p and medium settings.

I'm buying a new card (The Netherlands) Which one should i get the RTX 3090 used or the RTX 4070 ti new if i could get them at the same price?

The 4070 Ti seems to give performance that is about the same as the 3090 Ti, faster than the regular 3090 in most cases. The only catch is that the 4070 Ti has half the VRAM of the 3090. The 3090 would be faster if you need more than 12GB of VRam, because performance falls very quick when you run out.

And I gave my 3090 to my daughter for free without batting an eye.
Prices are higher here in Europe...but then again free healthcare so that even things out.

Why are you so angry over what over people spend on their hobbies?
Lol again with the "you mad brah". Whatever.

you be amazed. Stix fans are gas lighted. You would be surprised how many people spend 400 over FE 4090 lmao. IDK how many they make but those things sell out quick lmao.
'cause you can't find FE cards.

Lol again with the "you mad brah". Whatever.
Seems like you spend more time on forums being angry over prices that you do gaming.
I played CyperPunk 2077 for 17 hours this week
The Witcher 3 for 12 hours.
I will now go on vacation for 1 month.

But I bet you will still be crying over the prices when I come back...right? ;)

He claims to receive his information from sources at US retailers, so I am happy to accept what he says at face value unless you can point to something demonstrating a history of lying.
Got any history of his accuracy? There's no reason to trust a random guy's youtube video who is unheard of, just like a random forum poster.

Last edited:
Looks like he confirmed the 4070ti pricing before anyone else. I haven't gone through his videos or tweets in detail, but I haven't seen any red flags yet.

https://twitter.com/mooreslawisdead/status/1607873913102426115
https://twitter.com/mooreslawisdead/status/1608341627889934336
Oh, that was mlid? Yeah, he throws out everything to see if it sticks. I pay little attention to tech tubers, most are little more than random forum posters in knowledge or connections.

MLID does seem to just kind of report on everything and comes across as kinda clickbaity to me. He's like WCCFTech but on YouTube. Videocardz is at least a little more restrained with their rumormongering which is why I still go there for info.

MLID does seem to just kind of report on everything and comes across as kinda clickbaity to me. He's like WCCFTech but on YouTube. Videocardz is at least a little more restrained with their rumormongering which is why I still go there for info.
After Zen 4 launch I saw a compilation of all his failed rumors on the amd subreddit and it was basically long enough to fill a novel.

I think it is time to get this thread back on topic and making fun of the horrible 4070ti sales, where it belongs!

The 4070ti is the best price/perf of this generation and will sell well. It is faster than a 3090ti and uses half the power. People are so entitled, wanting lower prices. That is just not in the cards these days. Oh, and DLSS 3.0 shows great promise.

The 4070ti is the best price/perf of this generation and will sell well. It is faster than a 3090ti and uses half the power. People are so entitled, wanting lower prices. That is just not in the cards these days. Oh, and DLSS 3.0 shows great promise.
I wouldn't say entitled. I think that there are many people who just don't see the reality of our current economic situation coupled with how complex these GPU's are getting. They aren't getting cheaper.

Well when people keep letting companies sit on sky high margins and sweep it under the rug as "economic factors", of course the prices won't go any lower.
Well, the party of the last decade is basically over. You're already seeing the shift in the European consumer market since they've been hit harder first. The US consumer market is basically almost there, and I would suggest there is a high probability a card with the level of enterprise grade performance like the 4090/ti is likely the last for very many years. The consumer market will fall back in price, but we'll be lucky to get any serious performance gains as the focus will be shifted to making a cheaper and more power efficient product since consumers at large are running out of cheap debt and are going broke. My larger concern is that I have the distinct feeling that this current high-end consumer market is basically going to go away due to the economic factors. If you want actual high-end performance at home we're going to be paying $20k for enterprise grade GPU's, etc.

Last edited:

Sure, if you ignore reality. So wanting lower prices makes people entitled? :wacky:

Back