Anyone seriously considering the 4070 TI

I ran a 3090 EVGA XC3 on an EVGA 650 G+ for over a year. I had it as a spare, and threw it in the system to do testing and never took it out. Under gaming load, according to my UPS, I never saw total system draw, from the wall, exceed 450w, so I figured I was ok.
I side graded from a EVGA 3080 FTW Ultra to an Asus Strix 3090 recently. I have an 850 watt Seasonic power supply. I also watercool, so the dual pumps and 18 fans pull not-insignificant wattage. What I find kind of funny is that the 3080 and 3090 pull almost identical power at stock according to HWInfo64. The 3080 pulled around 380 watts max running Heaven. The 3090 pulls just under 390 with the same load. Total system wattage is around 700-750 watts at load give or take. I was thinking of upgrading to a 1000w Seasonic Vertex whenever they release, just to be safe. However, I think I will wait and see now and make sure the new ATX spec PSUs don't have some other weird issues. The delays by Seasonic make me wonder.

I side graded from a EVGA 3080 FTW Ultra to an Asus Strix 3090 recently. I have an 850 watt Seasonic power supply. I also watercool, so the dual pumps and 18 fans pull not-insignificant wattage. What I find kind of funny is that the 3080 and 3090 pull almost identical power at stock according to HWInfo64. The 3080 pulled around 380 watts max running Heaven. The 3090 pulls just under 390 with the same load. Total system wattage is around 700-750 watts at load give or take. I was thinking of upgrading to a 1000w Seasonic Vertex whenever they release, just to be safe. However, I think I will wait and see now and make sure the new ATX spec PSUs don't have some other weird issues. The delays by Seasonic make me wonder.

It's the transient spikes that get you with the 3090s...

I had a perfectly functioning 850W Gold eVGA PSU that would not handle transient spikes and would shut off. Ended up replacing with a 1200W Platinum and never had an issue after that.

what review did you see? also, it isnt 800. there is no fe, so all card will be 840+.
Guru3D

https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/geforce-rtx-4070-ti-review,32.html

“To sum it all up, the GeForce RTX 4070 Ti provides a proper gaming experience. Comparing apples to apples, it sits (give or take) at 3090 Ti performance. And comparing apples to oranges, the closest comparative is the Radeon RX 6900/6950 XT and 7900 XT. The choice in-between 4070 Ti and 7900 XT is a complex one. The RTX offers better raytracing performance and adds the bonus of DLSS3. The 7900 XT, however, is a notch faster in the rasterizer engine backed by the additional L3 cache.”

It's all speculation/rumour at this point until we see a lawsuit in court. Reddit has a good discussion on that: https://www.reddit.com/r/hardware/c...ssion_rumour_are_amd_and_nvidia_price_fixing/.

That could partially explain why the msrp for 4070 Ti price remains elevated. I won't seriously consider buying the card yet until there is serious competition in price and increasing value per dollar for consumer. My guess is that though amd and nvidia did not directly collude on the price they act indirectly based on the official price set by each other on their respective gpu card and performance. Every card other than 4090 and 4080 are within $100 of each other: $999, $899 and $799. If any of these three cards suddenly price at $599 or $699, that could be a game changer. My two cents. Obviously both companies want to make good profit margin so I'll just keep waiting....

It's all speculation/rumour at this point until we see a lawsuit in court. Reddit has a good discussion on that: https://www.reddit.com/r/hardware/c...ssion_rumour_are_amd_and_nvidia_price_fixing/.

That could partially explain why the msrp for 4070 Ti price remains elevated. I won't seriously consider buying the card yet until there is serious competition in price and increasing value per dollar for consumer. My guess is that though amd and nvidia did not directly collude on the price they act indirectly based on the official price set by each other on their respective gpu card and performance. Every card other than 4090 and 4080 are within $100 of each other: $999, $899 and $799. If any of these three cards suddenly price at $599 or $699, that could be a game changer. My two cents. Obviously both companies want to make good profit margin so I'll just keep waiting....
I highly doubt it. It's like if I am going to sell an old computer part on eBay - I look what the market looks like. What has sold recently - what is stuff selling for now? Price accordingly. Like it or not AMD has dropped a turd this gen so NVIDIA can manuever around it.

It’s the market leader ,Nvidia in this case, setting the price and the only competitor, AMD, pricing close. It could be price collusion but probably not. Maybe something comes out on that. It’s definitely what happens in a duopoly and what happens when two competing companies are being “friendly” to one another. It sucks for consumers. Soo—price is what the market wil bear and all that. We the market have to abstain from purchasing at these prices and that is the only way anything will change.

On topic. Does anyone think that the weak ass 192bit memory bus will hamper the 4070ti down the road at higher resolutions? I think it might and not way am I looking at getting one unless it is significantly less expensive.

Last edited:
Reactions: gvx64
like this
As it currently stands in Canada the street pricing of the 4070TI should be cheaper than most of the existing 3080TI and 3090TI offerings, that may change once it launches, but right now with the pricing I have been presented by my suppliers if I had to buy a card that I needed for 1440p then yes I would.

They are but they aren't, the market decided what people were willing to pay for the cards during the covid years, any attempt by either party to price below that will just result in bots buying the stock up and reselling it, so they price it towards the top it shuts the scalper bots down and the product still moves because what are the alternatives?
AMD and Nvidia both got in trouble with their investors during that time for "undervaluing" their products, they argued that because the cards were selling at those higher markups the scalpers were charging it was proof that AMD and Nvidia weren't charging enough, that is an argument that would hold up in court. So while it may be at worst price collusion it would be a very hard fight to prove price fixing.

It's the transient spikes that get you with the 3090s...

I had a perfectly functioning 850W Gold eVGA PSU that would not handle transient spikes and would shut off. Ended up replacing with a 1200W Platinum and never had an issue after that.
Regrettably, I didn't research the transient spike angle of the 3090 prior to buying it used with a waterblock for a smoking deal. I saw after the fact that the 3090 is particularly bad for that. My sample is also has incredibly loud coil whine. I hope it doesn't let the magic smoke out of my PSU. If I had it to do over again, I probably would have kept the 3080.

They are but they aren't, the market decided what people were willing to pay for the cards during the covid years, any attempt by either party to price below that will just result in bots buying the stock up and reselling it, so they price it towards the top it shuts the scalper bots down and the product still moves because what are the alternatives?
AMD and Nvidia both got in trouble with their investors during that time for "undervaluing" their products, they argued that because the cards were selling at those higher markups the scalpers were charging it was proof that AMD and Nvidia weren't charging enough, that is an argument that would hold up in court. So while it may be at worst price collusion it would be a very hard fight to prove price fixing.

I can agree with this. They argument probably is scalpers would buy cheap cards and sell them 200-300 more easy. I can bet if 4070ti was 599.99 scalpers would buy it and sell it for under the next card like nvidia msrp of 799.99 easy lmao. Nvidia kinda priced the 4080 and 4070 and amd priced in between so there isn't much market for scalping. Only thing to scalp is 4090 at this point. anything under just does not make sense and that is why 4080 is readily available.

Not that I agree with it but it is true if 4080 was 800, good luck getting your hands on one lmao. Its a bitter pill to swallow but the 10% off coupon on BB does help a bit on all cards.

They could be pre-launch placeholder with typo those rare $800 one, but they want any volume I have a feeling they would need to not go too far off from that 830-840 mark.

so the 4070 Ti is pretty much a slightly faster 3080 with Frame Generation (DLSS 3)
Overall performances is just under a 3090 TI but yeah there are some games where it's less than 10% faster than a 3080. This should be the regular 4070 and should be priced at no more than $649.

$800 used to be the price of their flagship card...now it's the midrange GPU price :eek:

Yep I think they just became official scalpers. Why let them have the profit when you can make extra 200-300 per GPU Lmao. I guess only benefit is pushing out the scalpers and more gamers get the card I guess.

The 4070ti seems more my style plus I game at 1080P at 144hz. Also like the fact I can use my 750 watt PSU with the card with no problems
so I won't have to upgrade to something like 1000 Watt PSU with the other 4000 series cards basically require I mean I have two Back up 750 watt PSUs would hate to think it's obsolete because of the lower wattage. I mean I ran a 450 watt for like a decade the increase power consumption is just silly it's suppose to be going down not up.

I am considering on waiting for the 6000 series.

Reactions: Meeho
like this
The pricing is likely going to be like every other recent NV launch, after the first wave many / most of the cards getting restocked will be well above MSRP and some may be effectively abandoned.

Unrelatedly, I would like to find whoever at NV approved the "3x the performance of a 3090Ti" thing and throw them into the sun.

I am exceedingly curious to see wtf is actually going on with "RT Overdrive" in Cyberpunk because even genuine Ada RT gainz + cheesing the rankings with Frame Gen can't explain a lead that big.

Last edited:
Back