Anyone seriously considering the 4070 TI

Lmao. Imagine a 1440p card costing this much. Absolutely insane. Will stick with my $550 6800xt which also blows away 1440p.
Darktide makes my 3080TI cry at 1440p... But that is more the game than anything else.
But this is basically what AMD and Nvidia want us to do right now, both of them are still actively producing their previous generation parts.

And we wouldn't have to if market quantities weren't artificially limited by Nvidia.

They intentionally restrict supply so they can jack up prices.

That's the modus operandi of a monopolist.

If there were sufficient supply on the market, you could walk into a retailer and buy one without standing in any kind of lines or making any kind of reservation on launch day.

In a way, scalpers are just a symptom caused by shortages. Nvidia's supply is the real problem. If supply was ample, there would be no scalpers as they would not be able to resell the parts at that higher price, and they would go bust.
From what we've seen Nvidia no longer prioritize the consumer market. They obsess over fueling productivity and research industries to show their tech is being used to expand their influence. If Nvidia has 120,000 chips they'll give Mercedes 100,000 chips and have AIBs fight over the remaining allocation. Then from there, the middlemen between the AIBs and retail screws up the pipeline sending cards where they shouldn't go to i.e. miners (at that time). After all of that, there's no way we'll get an affordable GPU.

Last edited:
From what we've seen Nvidia no longer prioritize the consumer market. They obsess over fueling productivity and research industries to show their tech is being used to expand their influence. If Nvidia has 120,000 chips they'll give Mercedes 100,000 chips and have AIBs fight over the remaining allocation. Then from there, the middlemen between the AIBs and retail screws up the pipeline sending cards where they shouldn't go to i.e. miners (at that time).

I didn't realize Mercedes were a huge GPU customer.

What do they use them for? That ridiculous 56" car wide touch screen in the new EQS class?

I didn't realize Mercedes were a huge GPU customer.

What do they use them for? That ridiculous 56" car wide touch screen in the new EQS class?
A board example but just automotive in general.
We're competing with corporations, researchers, automotive, aerospace, AI, hospitals, creatives etc. for the same tech.

I am surprised, even with them being a bad deal, that the 4070ti is still in stock online on launch day. There are 10 models sold by NewEgg I can buy right now and 4 at Bestbuy, including $839 models (allowing limits of 20). I just can't fathom why someone would buy a $1050 strix 4070 when you can get a 4080 FE for $150 more or a 7900 XTX for $1000.

1672950204722.png

Just got back from Microcenter (was picking up some memory) and the topic of the 4070Ti came up. Apparently they had 200 of them and haven't sold a single one / no line to buy one either. Apparently the feeling was among a lot of people there that they weren't buying it out of principle after seeing where it performs and what Nvidia was originally trying to charge for it.

I am surprised, even with them being a bad deal, that the 4070ti is still in stock online on launch day. There are 10 models sold by NewEgg I can buy right now and 4 at Bestbuy, including $839 models (allowing limits of 20). I just can't fathom why someone would buy a $1050 strix 4070 when you can get a 4080 FE for $150 more or a 7900 XTX for $1000.

View attachment 539692
Z(4).jpg

Just got back from Microcenter (was picking up some memory) and the topic of the 4070Ti came up. Apparently they had 200 of them and haven't sold a single one / no line to buy one either. Apparently the feeling was among a lot of people there that they weren't buying it out of principle after seeing where it performs and what Nvidia was originally trying to charge for it.
Fingers crossed this will remain a trend among most consumers. It's absolute bullshit, does feel like the FTC should be investigating Nvidia and AMD for price fixing.

Doesn't have enough vram to maintain 4k over the next few years most likely either. Feels like it should be 16gb

the vast majority of people are still gaming at 1080p and 1440p...64.60% at 1920 x 1080 and 11.80% at 2560 x 1440p according to the latest Steam Hardware Survey...

https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/Steam-Hardware-Software-Survey-Welcome-to-Steam

*waiting for the usual suspects to claim that the Steam Hardware Survey is not indicative of most gamers

the vast majority of people are still gaming at 1080p and 1440p...64.60% at 1920 x 1080 and 11.80% at 2560 x 1440p according to the latest Steam Hardware Survey...
Right. What does that have to do with the cards 4k performance? It sure is priced like a 4k card.

Right. What does that have to do with the cards 4k performance? It sure is priced like a 4k card.
Yeah, and it can run 4k as well as last gen's top cards. Just because faster stuff now exists doesn't make the old stuff instantly obsolete.

https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/Steam-Hardware-Software-Survey-Welcome-to-Steam

*waiting for the usual suspects to claim that the Steam Hardware Survey is not indicative of most gamers
I don't care what the majority of gamers are currently doing, an 800 dollar card with 12 gb of vram is bull shit.

So the 4080 only exists to make the 4090 look like a good "deal" and the 4070ti only exists to try (unsuccessfully) to stimulate sales of the 4080?

Are we headed towards a $600 4060?

View attachment 539692
Shocking, I know!
Yeah, and it can run 4k as well as last gen's top cards. Just because faster stuff now exists doesn't make the old stuff instantly obsolete.
You don't understand what a "bad deal" is, as you're a staunch nVidia apologist. Even happy about their pricing and current product stack.

The 4080 12GB is equal in performance to the 3080 and it costs $100 more than a 3080. So, pay more for the same performance and like it? Yay? The 4080 12GB literally has zero reason to exist they should've just continued making 3080's then.
Because the 3080 is now on an "older" process node, they could've likely gotten it at a discount from TSMC, maintained their stupid margin, and priced it for less than this dumb card.

Shocking, I know!

You don't understand what a "bad deal" is, as you're a staunch nVidia apologist. Even happy about their pricing and current product stack.

The 4080 12GB is equal in performance to the 3080 and it costs $100 more than a 3080. So, pay more for the same performance and like it? Yay? The 4080 12GB literally has zero reason to exist they should've just continued making 3080's then.
Because the 3080 is now on an "older" process node, they could've likely gotten it at a discount from TSMC, maintained their stupid margin, and priced it for less than this dumb card.
A) The 4070ti is faster than 3090/ti. It is cheaper than those went for by far.
B.) the 3080 was made with a different manufacturer, Samsung, not tsmc. They can't simply ring the phone for new production.

Show me those graphs. Cherry picked in 1 game?

Even better. There is no one using Samsung's processes that's a major player at this point. Even deeper discount. That's not really helping the argument in the way you think it is.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/msi-geforce-rtx-4070-ti-gaming-x/32.html

There's a summary for you proving what I said. Most games, it is faster, overall, it is faster. Lol at a Youtube video.

To think Nvidia can ring up Samsung for a new batch quickly or at all... is naive at best.

Good News actually but not for Microcenter who needs sales for their workers but someone will buy them.
They probably had a higher yield compared to the 4090 cards for chip turnover.

Last edited:
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/msi-geforce-rtx-4070-ti-gaming-x/32.html

There's a summary for you proving what I said. Most games, it is faster, overall, it is faster.
Lol. Your justification for a poorly priced product is to reference another poorly priced product? nVidia launches a $2000 msrp video card, then another one in less than 6 months that's 70% better basically screwing over everyone that bought one of those cards in a cash grab, and they should be congratulated? Got it.

Meanwhile it's basically impossible to buy a 4080 12GB at MSRP which shows no generational improvement and somehow makes the 7900XT look like a good deal.
Lol at a Youtube video.
Same results with a better breakdown in terms of cost. You just don't like evidence that disagrees with you.

That summary is also a terrible representation, which skews results. If you think adding all of the performance numbers together and getting a "mean average" is a good idea, I have no idea what to tell you. But that is definitely not how you do that.
To think Nvidia can ring up Samsung for a new batch quickly or at all... is naive at best.
nVidia was very aware of exactly what this card is at least 6 months before launch. More likely a year before launch. You live in a weird reality where nVidia gets every benefit of the doubt as if any of this is an accident. They have had plenty of time to reverse course and manufacturer anything else. They have had every chance to price this differently. They had every chance to name this an entirely different SKU. They actively chose to do this. To think anything less, now that is naive.

Last edited:
Fingers crossed this will remain a trend among most consumers. It's absolute bullshit, does feel like the FTC should be investigating Nvidia and AMD for price fixing.
There is not price fixing between Nvidia and AMD. Cause you don't like the price and feel it should be a lot cheaper is not evidence of price fixing.

There is not price fixing between Nvidia and AMD. Cause you don't like the price and feel it should be a lot cheaper is not evidence of price fixing.
A bit like for console, maybe not a la OAPEC and maybe because secret when you share so much the same partners seem impossible, but one never seem surprised by the other, it seem like if a Chinese company would try to sales us GPU they would encounter some issues.

And because it can include more than an actual talked about arrangement, it become quickly a matter of opinion, but when you have just 2 company that seem to sync to a T their launch schedule and match performance that much, made over time entry of a new player that hard that even an Intel has an hard time, they would be a bit stupid to not engage in some price fixing, specially if you are not confident to be able to make the volume to outsell them in a price war.

Last edited:
I still see over 200 in stock here at the Dallas Microcenter.

good-angry-cat.jpeg

Well it seems like the prices need to keep creeping up so the 3070 FE at 499 makes the 4070 599 (no FE planned or?) at least and maybe the 4070ti drops to 699 or 749. I’m just not optimistic at all anymore regarding GPUs though.

Was hoping this would perform as well as a 7900 XT. Seems to be below it in almost every game except forza horizon 5.

Was hoping this would perform as well as a 7900 XT. Seems to be below it in almost every game except forza horizon 5.
I was noticing that as well, seems like there must be a driver issue with that game as the 7900XT basically performs the same as the 6900XT, which just seems odd as hell considering how much more powerful it is.

Traditional 60-class card design with 70 Ti branding that they were going to try to get away with calling a 4080. This is a great card....for maybe closer to $400ish.

I present the following to show how similar this card is to a 3060. Call me crazy, AD104 looks an awful lot like traditional 106 silicon to me.

MSI Gaming X RTX 4070 Ti:
image.png.1e8c6502c70ced7a7695fc45f3252acc.png

MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 3060:
image.thumb.png.224d503f7f0436795b5e829d3c7f645b.png

Back