anyone seen one of these bad boys in a long long time? my fileserver.

Ziggy!talon

Limp Gawd
this thing has been alive for many many years, and still serves me well to this day... all it does is filestorage and DNS/DHCP work now, but it does it well...

fileserver.jpg

the board has jumpers to control FSB and multi, thats how old it is...

i think tommorow im gonna see if i can get 800mhz or so out of both chips...

Don't need jumpers for those chips, just the 450s and below. I have a Tyan 400BX sitting in the basement with 2 of those bad boys in it.

Don't need jumpers for those chips, just the 450s and below. I have a Tyan 400BX sitting in the basement with 2 of those bad boys in it.

mine are in an A-Trend 400BX board....im gonna go play with it now and see if i can raise the FSB to 133x6multi that would give me 798mhz...we'll see what happens...

Old school Katmai, nice. My first self-built rig was a shiny new Coppermine 500MHz. Nice chips at the time.

im back....well, i couldnt find any dipswitches or jumpers to control the FSB...

so i threw in some PC133 sticks just to see if it would up the FSB to 133...no go, it wouldnt even run the 133 sticks at 133, just 100.. no matter what i did...

only good thing i got out of it is that i added another 128 megs of ram to the machine...so now it has ~600 megs of ram total...

so now it's a dual Katmai 600, 600 megs of ram, Nvidia Rage Pro vid card, a 20GB HD for the OS drive, and a 50GB drive for storage (where i backup my important stuff)...oh it runs win2k server SP4 for all that matters...it's actually pretty quick working in windows, browsing the web and what not...works great for a fileserver/dhcp/dns server...

ah well...at least i gained something out of the 30 mins of f-ing with it....

Old school Katmai, nice. My first self-built rig was a shiny new Coppermine 500MHz. Nice chips at the time.

i still have a coppermine machine running, upstairs, for my daughter to start on when she gets old enough to be into machines....

it's a coppermine 800, needs more ram....nothing special... i think it only has 128 megs of ram right now, i need to get up there and throw anouther 256 at least in there and it will be a decent starter machine...it's running win2k pro sp4

on another note i just borrowed the entire Third rock from the sun DVD set, and i need to get to ripping/encoding divx's out of them.... i cryed when that show went off the air so im so happy i finally got my hands on this...

yeah back then chips sucked down a lot of volts...

and to think im running 3600mhz on my main rig now with only 1.4 volts :)

u might be using a lower voltage but i bet ur CPU is drawing much more current ;)

I've got a slot 1 motherboard and Pentium III Katmai processor hanging on my wall.

I've got a Celey 300A @450 running Ubuntu right now. I gave away my two 933 P3 dualies for Folding contests a few months ago.

I've got a Celey 300A @450 running Ubuntu right now. I gave away my two 933 P3 dualies for Folding contests a few months ago.

where i used to work there was a dual 933 server just sitting in a pile of old crap, i wish so bad now it would have somehow "walked away." before i quit..

i've got an abit bp6 on my wall (among many other interesting boards)

/me wins

I've got two EVGA 680i SLI boards (one is the Black Pearl) and a dual processor Pentium Pro 180 overclocked to 200MHz on an Intel PR440FX Providence motherboard on the wall.

i've got an abit bp6 on my wall (among many other interesting boards)

/me wins

This board is pretty legendary. I used to have one with dual Celeron 466s@582MHz in it. I don't regret selling the system for how much I got for it compared to how much I paid for it though.

This board is pretty legendary. I used to have one with dual Celeron 466s@582MHz in it. I don't regret selling the system for how much I got for it compared to how much I paid for it though.

I had to Celeron 533MHz processors running at 600MHz on mine. I couldn't go any higher than that unfortunately.

I saw one yesterday. It was in the PC I keep around for DOS 6 PC gaming, running in an ASUS P2B motherboard.

We still have quite a few of those running at my work. They're pretty good (especially that they have served us for this long), but it'll be time to replace them this year.

600mhz P3, ahh the memories. My first brand new computer (PowerSpec, ohhh ahhhh) had that, before it was garbage-picked flakey parts loosely combined for me. I thought that thing was bad-azz until I discovered that I needed an actual discrete video card to successfully play games once the interest in those came around. It surfed the internet nicely though with my brandy-new DSL I just got back then, lol

That TV software. Can you tell me what that is and how is it? Quick TV?

That TV software. Can you tell me what that is and how is it? Quick TV?

it came with my TV tuner card, its just your basic run of the mill TV Tuner card program....the only part i even use of it however is the composite inputs, that come from my Receiver's monitor out, which my cable box is connected to...

I am still keeping 6 P133's running at my Wife's, Church's, Private School. That's a mouthful. They have 64 meg of ram, mostly around 1-2 gig hard drives, and run Win 95 and Office 97. Works fine for them as typewriters and simple research from Encarts 98.

They have a couple of newer computers that they were just given, so they did get on the Net this year, but I warned them if they hooked the 95 boxes to the net, I would no longer support them as they would be terminally infected with crap within seconds of connecting to the net.

They have listened, so far.

Don

I still have a PIII 500MHz that I use a file server although last week the power supply failed. I am having trouble locating a new power supply that has the "old school" connectors. Does anyone know where I can find one? :confused:

I have 2 Brand new in box and never used Xeon 550's, matched with compatible motherboard that I have never used. Slot 2. and a PIII 450 with 512 MB ram that I use as an IPCOP router :)

yall are just gonna make me whip out my working dual p120's running NT4 on an AMI Titan mobo. :) Apparently AMI made a few motherboards when they weren't too busy making bios's.

I have 2 Brand new in box and never used Xeon 550's, matched with compatible motherboard that I have never used. Slot 2. and a PIII 450 with 512 MB ram that I use as an IPCOP router :)

willing to part with the xeons by chance?

We were recycling some old servers/PC's at work and I was pulling the HD out of an old poweredge. Low and behold it's the exact proc setup the OP posted... dual slot 1 PIII 600mhz.

Brought that baby home... still need to find a use for it. :p

We were recycling some old servers/PC's at work and I was pulling the HD out of an old poweredge. Low and behold it's the exact proc setup the OP posted... dual slot 1 PIII 600mhz.

Brought that baby home... still need to find a use for it. :p

hell yeah! they are amazingly reliable.... mine stays up for months and months at a time only goes down for windows updates/power outages/etc..

Yeah I'd be willing to part with them if the price is right :) Make me an offer :)

If you wanna go hardcore, I've got a Cobalt Raq2, 250mhz mips, 256MB RAM

Back