Become a Patron!

Anyone seen any Ryzen revisited reviews after the performance increase?

Discussion in 'AMD Processors' started by jspringer, Jul 17, 2017 at 3:52 AM.

1. jspringer

jspringer n00bie

Not sure why more people are not talking about this unless imjust blind.A few weeks back i seen the ryzen got a 30 percent perfomance increase update.The only game i seen tested was rise of tombraider however.Does anyone know if anybody did a a performance review on any other games after the update?

2. IdiotInCharge

IdiotInCharge 2[H]4U

I'm interested in this, but I have no idea what you're talking about with respect to a '30 percent performance increase'. A link would help.

Close as I know of any performance increases were updated OS patches, a BIOS patch, and the revelation that you needed to run faster DDR4 than was originally well supported, and better supported later by another BIOS update, in order to mitigate the inter-CCX latency issue if that was a problem for a particular test.

But all of that was older than two weeks ago, so something new would be interesting.

[also, 30 percent is a pretty wild claim for basically anything, unless there was something that was nearly broken that the update fixed...]

Araxie and CaptNumbNutz like this.
  3. Nihilus1

Nihilus1 Limp Gawd

Perhaps Ryzen Pro reviews will show some updated performance metrics. It gives reviewers an excuse to retest some of the CPUs. Those should be coming out soon.

4. JustReason

JustReason [H]ard|Gawd

The 30% was in a particular game, don't remember which exact one.

5. IdiotInCharge

IdiotInCharge 2[H]4U

Yeah, I get that; just the OP is looking like it might be more broadly applicable, and even if 'broadly applicable' just means a handful of a type of games or games running on certain engine(s), that'd be pretty cool. Also surprising that it hadn't hit the radar, so it's probably just one game, and if that, then it's probably not an 'update' to Ryzen so much as that game.

Which is why a link would be really nice.

CaptNumbNutz likes this.
  6. JustReason

JustReason [H]ard|Gawd

oh gotcha. There are a couple but I m not sure if any engines have as yet, a greater number of games. Honestly we are probably looking at some youtuber for this info, which I hate watching youtube vids, but they do seem to do benches more frequently. I would like to see more indepth reviews using more programs while gaming, like realistically what most gamers do, just to see what difference it makes. I still see the occasional post from i7 owners that speaks to some games pegging the CPU @90% and what happens with other programs running. Now that would be real world.

7. IdiotInCharge

IdiotInCharge 2[H]4U

Yeah, real-world is what matters, and that's *really* hard to benchmark.

People still think i5's (or 4C/4T) CPUs are enough, and then they try to use them and wonder why stuff isn't as smooth as the benchmarks, and we're approaching the point where 4C8T CPUs won't be enough either.

So Ryzen is a cheaper way to get that done, and even better if ~4GHz is fast enough to keep your monitor fed. Running 165Hz (and really, just >120Hz) here, it ain't quite enough, but it should be plenty for most, and if the game engines are making up some of that ground from release, I'd certainly like to hear about it.

Araxie likes this.
  8. IdiotInCharge

IdiotInCharge 2[H]4U

Just to throw it out there: frametime measurements with background apps running, particularly say ~20 browser tabs with news and social media in a few, VOIP, and third-party AV at least, is what I'm looking for. Throw out average FPS and inferred median low FPS if you want, but frametimes tell the whole story.

9. bandit390

bandit390 [H]ard|Gawd

What is the new recommended DDR4 speed for Ryzen?

10. MaZa

MaZa 2[H]4U

Its still 3200mhz. Higher the better of course but 3200mhz is the sweetspot. After that you hit the wall of diminishing returns, pay a lot for miniscule improvements.

JustReason likes this.
  11. sirmonkey1985

sirmonkey1985 [H]ard|DCer of the Month - July 2010

yeah from what i've seen 3200 seems to be the sweet spot, after that it's all about ram timing and getting it as low as possible but with the current prices of ddr4 it's not worth the expense to get cl14 if you can get cl16 3200 to work properly.

12. IdiotInCharge

IdiotInCharge 2[H]4U

Yup. The lower latency of better RAM matters a little bit and the extra bandwidth very little, but getting the inter-CCX Infinity Fabric latency below levels that lag heavily multi-threaded processes by increasing RAM speed is paramount on Ryzen gen 1.

13. lolfail9001

lolfail9001 [H]ard|Gawd

I am still fairly positive there is no "inter-CCX IF", latencies look like they go straight into memory.

14. mda

mda Gawd

Also would like to check if the boot times have improved with succeeding BIOS updates... Anyone? Hehe

15. jspringer

jspringer n00bie

Now that ive dug into it alittle further sounds like it got this boost with rise of tr only so far but this is still pretty exciting going forward.I have a 3930k now but am in the process of piecing together a ryzen 1700 mostly want the extra 2 cores.Link here

16. MaZa

MaZa 2[H]4U

Rottr was a one-off situation. AMD did nothing, the game itself was fixed. The game was quite poorly optimized and Ryzen especially suffered a major hit before patch.