ANyone see Windows 8 on technet yet?

Back and I say it has indeed been cleaned up a bit and the UI is even faster than the release preview.

Ok, I did a chat with MS Technet.

They just set the site up poorly.

The "Windows 8" download is inideed pro. If you look at your key list window, it says:

"Windows 8 Pro (TechNet Professional) "

I didn't catch that before.

Whew :)

Ok, I did a chat with MS Technet.

They just set the site up poorly.

The "Windows 8" download is inideed pro. If you look at your key list window, it says:

"Windows 8 Pro (TechNet Professional) "

I didn't catch that before.

Whew :)

Yeah I was wondering about that myself on MSDN. It just says Windows 8 there but when you go get the keys there's two sets, one for regular 8 retail and one for Pro retail. You can get up to five for each for a total of 10 retail keys.

oh dear, nnnnnnnn...yahn!

that again...

mmmmm.. quick backup, 8 pro, office 13.. first im gonna sleep, then i'll start, after the first coffee...

buh-bye windows 7, i never liked you anyway.

So does Microsoft have an official tool to convert the ISO to a USB install on UEFI motherboards yet? I know there are a lot of hack job instructions on the web that work, but was looking for an official process/utility.

I just need a little clarification on the Tech Net subscription level.

If I do Standard, I get 2 licenses for Win 8, not sure what version.
If I do Professional, how many Win 8 licenses should I be have access to?

I just need a little clarification on the Tech Net subscription level.

If I do Standard, I get 2 licenses for Win 8, not sure what version.
If I do Professional, how many Win 8 licenses should I be have access to?

I have TechNet Pro, and it looks like 3 multi-use license keys come with Windows 8.

All enterprise versions have a single MAK.

I was really hoping WS2012 was dropping today too, I am disappoint.

I've read that it might be possible to install WS2012 to a flash drive like other products have for a while, I'm very interested in that possibility...

All enterprise versions have a single MAK.

I was really hoping WS2012 was dropping today too, I am disappoint.

I am still a little confused. If you have 5 PC's at home and you want to install Win8 Enterprise, you get one key for that and you can activate that key... how many times?
Also, how long is that activation good for?

Anyone know when Win8 will hit VL Center? Apparently my work doesn't have a MSDN subscription, just VLSC.

I've read that it might be possible to install WS2012 to a flash drive like other products have for a while, I'm very interested in that possibility...

It would run like balls though... the read and write speeds would be atrocious unless you used a high-end usb3 flash drive. Even then, go with an SSD. It would be cheaper and have better performance and more storage.

Would be fine for hyper-v role and VDI host, give me more room on an SSD for the VM boot volumes

I'm grabbing it from TechNet but probably won't install it yet. I'd really like to see some gaming benchmarks before I move over.

If you search around, the performance is virtually identical to Windows 7, favouring 8 by a hair.

Well, it is only Windows ver 6.2.9200 vs 6.1.7601 (Win7). It can't be all that different for a dot release.

Not showing up on MSDNAA (dreamspark) :(

My daughter has a dreamspark account, They took win 7 off of it last year due to abuse of the system, only have server OS on it now. I dont imagine they will be putting Win 8 on it.

My daughter has a dreamspark account, They took win 7 off of it last year due to abuse of the system, only have server OS on it now. I dont imagine they will be putting Win 8 on it.

MSDNAA comes with 2 Windows 7 keys per account. MSDNAA is a premium version of Dreamspark. Supposidly MSDNAA was going to receive Windows 8 today, but it looks like it hasn't.

Edit: It looks like those with MSDNAA accounts won't get it until the 25th.
http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-8-for-dreamspark-students-coming-august-25th

Last edited:
Windows 7 still shows up on my Dreakspark account :confused:

Any way to get Media Center working for free through the technet license? The stripping feature bullshit is just nonsense.

grrr can't find out if i can get media center with my technet key couldn't even buy a media center key if i wanted to.

my enthusiasm for RTM win 8 is equal to my enthusiasm for Dev preview and Consumer preview releases....and it wasn't HIGH for either of those :(

so many things that are just simply more difficult for no good reason.... oh well... but yuck ...i've been trying to give it a chance to grow on me ...it aint.

grrr can't find out if i can get media center with my technet key couldn't even buy a media center key if i wanted to.

my enthusiasm for RTM win 8 is equal to my enthusiasm for Dev preview and Consumer preview releases....and it wasn't HIGH for either of those :(

so many things that are just simply more difficult for no good reason.... oh well... but yuck ...i've been trying to give it a chance to grow on me ...it aint.

So long as it isn't an N version, it should have Media Center

They are very clearly marked (both ISO's and key's) on technet as being N version or not

Back