Anyone see the new EVGA gtx 285 classified?

so with the release of a quad sli capable motherboard, does that mean quad sli for single-GPU cards is going to be a standard now? Can we assume to see gt300 as being quad sli capable?

I personally think it's pretty stupid. It would be a lot better if nvidia perfected 2 and 3-way scaling instead of just adding support for combining more cards that don't add any real-world gaming gains.

so with the release of a quad sli capable motherboard, does that mean quad sli for single-GPU cards is going to be a standard now? Can we assume to see gt300 as being quad sli capable?

I personally think it's pretty stupid. It would be a lot better if nvidia perfected 2 and 3-way scaling instead of just adding support for combining more cards that don't add any real-world gaming gains.

1) the support has allways been there.
2) Nvidia isn't doing this, EVGA is.
3) 2 way and 3 way scaling is damn good already if you have the CPU power to back it up. Take a look at this post as it has a lot of links and charts to show just how much CPU power can affect GPU scaling.

I wonder if quad SLI would work with any 285 with the 4way bridge.

No, not just any 285, it needs to be THIS 285, since it's been modified for 4xSLI use.

Can you imagine the price tag??

About $7,500 without tax/shipping. Go to the DC subforum, it's already been talked about since the ASUS WS Supercomputer came out. Estimated build using the ASUS + 7 295s + watercooling was around $7.5k. Keep in mind though, there's not too many uses for 14 GPUs aside from folding.

1) the support for quad sli via 2 dual-gpu cards such as gtx295s has been there, but I don't think quad sli for single cards has been supported by either drivers nor hardware (3 sli connections on a single card) until now. correct me if I'm wrong.
2) I thought companies like EVGA were only distributors. Do they really have their own factories where they manufacture nvidia cards not officially supported by nvidia? Again, correct me if I'm wrong.
3) The scaling is better, I agree, but it's really only so for those who have i7 rigs. Not all of us have felt the need to upgrade. Furthermore, while the scaling on an i7 is better, it's still not PERFECT. Rather than having the option of having 4 cards in SLI, I'd rather first have it so that the result of adding a second card in SLI be exactly 195-200% gain over a single card. the way I see it, it seems like if tri-sli was perfected, equaling in 3 times the performance or very close to it, it would be faster than 4 of the same card with current scaling

1) the support for quad sli via 2 dual-gpu cards such as gtx295s has been there, but I don't think quad sli for single cards has been supported by either drivers nor hardware (3 sli connections on a single card) until now. correct me if I'm wrong.
2) I thought companies like EVGA were only distributors. Do they really have their own factories where they manufacture nvidia cards not officially supported by nvidia? Again, correct me if I'm wrong.
3) The scaling is better, I agree, but it's really only so for those who have i7 rigs. Not all of us have felt the need to upgrade. Furthermore, while the scaling on an i7 is better, it's still not PERFECT. Rather than having the option of having 4 cards in SLI, I'd rather first have it so that the result of adding a second card in SLI be exactly 195-200% gain over a single card. the way I see it, it seems like if tri-sli was perfected, equaling in 3 times the performance or very close to it, it would be faster than 4 of the same card with current scaling

Someone in Taiwan makes stuff to EVGA specifications.
There is speculation it's FoxConn......the actual chipsets and license is granted from nvidia.....and Intel.
I mean honestly, there are only a handful of MB manufacturers in the world. EVGA definately has the engineering guys, just who actually manufacturers the product is up in question.

No, not just any 285, it needs to be THIS 285, since it's been modified for 4xSLI use.

About $7,500 without tax/shipping. Go to the DC subforum, it's already been talked about since the ASUS WS Supercomputer came out. Estimated build using the ASUS + 7 295s + watercooling was around $7.5k. Keep in mind though, there's not too many uses for 14 GPUs aside from folding.

That's a giant Epeen...

1) Yes.
2) Most companies like EVGA buy "kits" for reference cards, or they buy just the GPU core its self and build the rest up from a reference drawing. Some companies like EVGA and ASUS and BFG do redesigns on the reference design. This product was not designed by Nvidia. However, it will be supported by Nvidia because it is still made within the "design envolpe" of a 285.
3) You are never going to get perfect scaling on every game. However, look at Call of Duty 4. It is clear that damn near perfect scaling is possible and for the most part it comes back to the game engine. The other half of that equation is anyone who is buying new GPUs to put into Tri-SLI would be an idiot NOT to buy an i7. Who the hell spends 600$+ (or 1,000$+) on GPUs for thier new computer and goes and tries to save 100$ buy building a C2Q rig? Scaling has gotten a lot of bad rap from people with under powered GPUs gimping them.

From that benchmark extreme, you'll notice Crysis is getting 270% scaling which if you get 88% scaling on the second card and 88% scaling from the third card is what you get. Frankly, 88% is pretty damn near 100% compared to what most people think when they talk about tri-SLI scaling.

Looking at the Guru3D article at farcry. 80% scaling from the third card. Fear shows 75% scaling. Yes, there is room for improvement on these, but 100% scaling on every game just isn't possible.

Someone in Taiwan makes stuff to EVGA specifications.
There is speculation it's FoxConn......the actual chipsets and license is granted from nvidia.....and Intel.
I mean honestly, there are only a handful of MB manufacturers in the world. EVGA definately has the engineering guys, just who actually manufacturers the product is up in question.

I am about 95% sure when epox went under, EVGA went out and got most of the Mobo designers/engineers and have them design specialty mobos such as these ones being mentioned. Now maybe foxconn physically assembles them, I don't know if EVGA yet has the capital to have their own mobo design facilities, but I am pretty sure whoever is building them, the people of epox are designing them.

I am about 95% sure when epox went under, EVGA went out and got most of the Mobo designers/engineers and have them design specialty mobos such as these ones being mentioned. Now maybe foxconn physically assembles them, I don't know if EVGA yet has the capital to have their own mobo design facilities, but I am pretty sure whoever is building them, the people of epox are designing them.

Sounds about right...

http://theovalich.wordpress.com/2008/10/22/world-exclusive-evga-to-launch-intel-x58-motherboards/

They're trying to unload boards, cause when the G300 come out, no one is going to be looking at the 285s.

They're trying to unload boards, cause when the G300 come out, no one is going to be looking at the 285s.

Yes, they are trying to unload boards by customizing them, and making them as overclockable as humanly possible, and designing boards (the best of which isnt even ATX spec) to enable use of 4 single GPU cards, great unload strategy, those sneaky bastards trying to put one under us, shame on them. :rolleyes:

I should of pointed out how much more aggressive they had been getting with these abominations of video cards. Come on, three fucking PCIe 6-pin power connectors...I know the kind of community this is, but with at least 3 months remaining in the 200 series, this is going for broke. Looking back on it, I could of phrased it a it better.

I should of pointed out how much more aggressive they had been getting with these abominations of video cards. Come on, three fucking PCIe 6-pin power connectors...I know the kind of community this is, but with at least 3 months remaining in the 200 series, this is going for broke. Looking back on it, I could of phrased it a it better.

With three months before the 300 series is out, I'll agree the card... well it isn't going to last too long. Then again, the kind of people who buy these cards will buy new cards every three months regardless.

The way you phrased it made it sound like you actually thought this was a move to clear inventory of their 285 stock. Somehow I don't see EVGA spending to design this behemoth to clear stock. It very well could be a test bed for a 380 design though.

lol, actually my first language isn't English.
lol, sorry didn't realize there was a language barrier in their. :(

Foxconn does not physically assemble EVGA's boards. They merely make some of the connectors and maybe the CPU socket. People constantly mistake the CPU stocket cover to be something that labels the board as that company's but in reality most motherboards are a hodgepodge of marvel', molex, foxconn, tyco, realtek, samsung, panasonic... and many other component manufacturers. There are so many it would be silly to name them all.

Foxconn does not physically assemble EVGA's boards. They merely make some of the connectors and maybe the CPU socket. People constantly mistake the CPU stocket cover to be something that labels the board as that company's but in reality most motherboards are a hodgepodge of marvel', molex, foxconn, tyco, realtek, samsung, panasonic... and many other component manufacturers. There are so many it would be silly to name them all.

I think that is understood, same as an automobile.
But.....someone has to make the PCB and print the circuits, and then finally apply the components and test the board.......then package it up..............that's what I was talking about.

Same deal as with GPUs.

The box and stickers don't mean a whole lot, it's the design and assembly.:p

Your English is fine by internet standards... :confused: - better than the bastardized internet-speak common to some of us natives.

Just note that you "Should HAVE pointed out..." and "[you] could HAVE phrased it..."

should of, could of, would of = HAVE. That is all...

Actually my plan is to wait for the G300 to put the GTX285s on clearance so I can pick one up cheap. I find it's almost as much fun and WAY cheaper to stay about 1 to 2 generations behind the bleeding edge.

Been trying to find the specs on the evga gtx 285 classified, but can't find it any where? Is it top secretz? :cool:

Been trying to find the specs on the evga gtx 285 classified, but can't find it any where? Is it top secretz? :cool:

I know I'm a little late, but http://www.evga.com/products/moreinfo.asp?pn=01G-P3-1190-AR -> http://www.evga.com/products/pdf/01G-P3-1190.pdf...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUcxriaAWWg is a video of this beast actually running. The 285's still seem to have only 2 SLI connectors, and a bridge with 1-2 connections per card. I'm not sure exactly how that works, but it wouldn't surprise me if someone was able to get it working on other 285's as well.

Here's a shot from 0:40 in the video:
classified285.jpg

Also, note that the card only has 1GB of memory. For Quad-SLI, it seems like you'd want the 2GB model. Then again, that would probably make it really expensive.
rolleyes.gif

Back