Anyone see a problem with this layout?

notarat

2[H]4U
I ordered a couple Killer 2100 NICs to add to my two main computers at home to see if I can use Teaming to increase speeds at which I transfer files between them.

Here's the layout I plan to use. Anyone see a problem with them as long as I don't screw up the subnets and IP ranges?

teaming.jpg

I ordered a couple Killer 2100 NICs to add to my two main computers at home to see if I can use Teaming to increase speeds at which I transfer files between them.

Here's the layout I plan to use. Anyone see a problem with them as long as I don't screw up the subnets and IP ranges?

LOL. Killer NICs....hahaha.

Anyways, you need a switch that supports LACP or Link Aggregation. You're needing to look at a managed switch to do that.

You're not going to increase speed and why are you using two routers? Is NAT disabled on the second one?

To improve speed pick up some decent quality (intel) nics and change the second router for a switch.

Yeah I don't see why you are using 2 routers. You should have the 1 router, and then a switch.

You will have a nightmare if you use the WAN port to connect two routers, get a switch!

Well a quick google shows that the DAP-1522 is actually a bridge/AP, not a router. It doesn't have a WAN port, but that's actually good.

However...

1) I assume these systems are running Windows. Windows doesn't have built-in NIC teaming.

2) The killer NIC probably doesn't do NIC teaming. You'll need something like a pair of Intel NICs or a dual-port adapter.

3) Those routers/switches don't support link aggregation.

3) I'm not really an expert, but my understanding is that link aggregation (teaming) only takes advantage of the extra bandwidth when connecting to multiple destinations. So the maximum throughput from one host to another is still limited by the speed of a single link in the group (can someone confirm that?).

4) Since the DLG-4100 and the DAP-1522 are still only connected with a single gigabit link, it doesn't matter if you can get the HTPC and gaming desktop to do teaming, the transfer speed is going to be limited by the link between the bedroom and living room.

It defeats the purpose of having two nics in your media server, and gaming computer, if the switches connecting them have a single gigabit uplink.

If you're still set on this idea of increasing your bandwidth (and in this scenario, a single gigabit link gigabit is more than enough for 2 computers, 2 wireless clients and a tv), return the KIller NICs and purchase Intel Pro 1000 cards for a fraction of the cost. You can get dual port gigibit nics for 20-30 bucks on ebay(new), and get a managed switch that supports link aggregation or trunking. Do some reading up on what protocol(s) the switch must support before you drop the money on one.

As the others have said, you shouldn't be using the WAN port on the router in your bedroom to connect to another SOHO router. SOHO routers don't always work like that and will often complain that the WAN IP and LAN IPs are the same subnet and it will not work. Connect the two routers using the LAN ports or get a switch.

you would need to put both Killer NICs in one machine and team them, if that's even possible with the drivers.
if you only ordered two, then the HTPC won't be teamed and still limited to 1gbps.

secondly, as stated, you are still limited to 1gb between HTPC and server because of the single gigabit link between the AP and router.

thirdly, as also stated previously, that router and ap most likely do not support teaming/link aggregation.

Killer NICs are a tool to part fools from their money.

As to the original question: if you _don't_ see a problem with this layout, you probably shouldn't mess with it in the first place.

This can be cleaned up quite easily as mentioned in pieces above.

• Ditch the second router/bridge/ap and replace it with a switch.
  • Ditch any 2 NIC setups and just go with a single quality Intel NIC.

Back