Anyone running their 3080/3090 with a vertical GPU mount?

dvsman

2[H]4U
I know there are some issues with vertical mounts running only PCIE 3 and not 4 but other than that, anyone run into any issues? Thanks!

I do plan to yes, i got a pcie4 rated riser cable. will see how it goes this weekend.

No issue running 3080 on Lian Li O11 vertical mount kit. This is with MB that only supports PCIE-3

Thanks guys, I'm thinking of putting it into my Lian Li 011 Razer - good to know!

Lol, same case.
5BCA370E-9E67-4D48-A526-30FCA29649FA.jpeg

I've got my 1070 running vertical currently, waiting on a 3080 hybrid to come available as well as the lian li uni white fans to come back in stock.
I'm hoping the 3080 will be long enough it'll be easier to tuck the aio tubes behind the gpu for aesthetics, that Arctic Freeze has a long mofo'ing tube.
(please excuse the glare, I've yet to peel the case windows)

A number for reasons.

1.) GPU is too tall and horizontal mount does not fit. (Issue with water cooling)
2.) GPU in horizontal mount blocks off too much airflow.
3.) GPU in horizontal mount sags too much due to weight.
4.) Vertical mount GPU allows you to show the RGB lifts.

Usually it's for water-cooled cards. Most cases have the vertical mount for the GPU too close to the side panel and it restricts airflow for an air-cooled card, GN has talked about this numerous times.

Usually it's for water-cooled cards. Most cases have the vertical mount for the GPU too close to the side panel and it restricts airflow for an air-cooled card, GN has talked about this numerous times.
The Lian Li O11D and O11D-XL are 2 of the few models that do recess the card back far enough, additionally most of the pcie replacement kits like the coolermaster and phanteks do sit the card back far enough since they replace all the PCIE slots directly (giving 3-4 inches of adequate space for the vertical GPU depending on the case).
That said it is often negligible or a slight loss on performance unless there is ALOT of airflow in the case or the GPU is a blower style design.
Additionally many of the new reference passthrough design on the 3000 series cards can have a detriment to the cooling as they blow the hot air at the motherboard instead of upwards towards the exhaust.

I ran into some odd issues with my Phanteks 90 degree PCIe riser cable. Ended up pulling it out of my system.

The riser cable worked with my old EVGA 980 SC and my new X570 motherboard. However, when I installed my new 3070 Founders Edition card, things went sideways.

Details below, for other folks who are searching for the same issue.
On first boot, the BIOS logo painted on the screen very slowly. Windows then took much longer than normal to boot to the login screen. Once logged in, the mouse was sluggish and would keep moving after I stopped moving the mouse. Almost as if the inputs were delayed. I attempted to install newer drivers, and while the driver install did succeed, the computer locked up shortly there after. On reboot, it took an exceptionally log time to boot into Windows again.

I removed the PCI riser cable and installed the 3070 in the same slot used previously. The machine booted into Windows without issue.

HW involved. NVIDIA 3070FE, Phanteks PH-CBRS-PR22 220mm Premium shielded riser cable and Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming Motherboard.

So, PCI-Express 4.0 card and motherboard. Meanwhile, the Phanteks Riser cable spec sheet only calls out PCI-Express 3.0 compatibility. So while this is disappointing, it is not entirely unexpected.

I ran into some odd issues with my Phanteks 90 degree PCIe riser cable. Ended up pulling it out of my system.

The riser cable worked with my old EVGA 980 SC and my new X570 motherboard. However, when I installed my new 3070 Founders Edition card, things went sideways.

On first boot, the BIOS logo painted on the screen very slowly. Windows then took much longer than normal to boot to the login screen. Once logged in, the mouse was sluggish and would keep moving after I stopped moving the mouse. Almost as if the inputs were delayed. I attempted to install newer drivers, and while the driver install did succeed, the computer locked up shortly there after. On reboot, it took an exceptionally log time to boot into Windows again.

I removed the PCI riser cable and installed the 3070 in the same slot used previously. The machine booted into Windows without issue.

HW involved. NVIDIA 3070FE, Phanteks PH-CBRS-PR22 220mm Premium shielded riser cable and Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming Motherboard.

So, PCI-Express 4.0 card and motherboard. Meanwhile, the Phanteks Riser cable spec sheet only calls out PCI-Express 3.0 compatibility. So while this is disappointing, it is not entirely unexpected.

Did you try manually setting the PCIe 16x slots to PCI 3.0 in BIOS? As you said, PCIe 4 card and board, PCIe 3 cable- it was probably trying to run at 4.0 speed and getting signal degradation.

This I think is a pcie 4.0 thing, I've read alot of folks have to go to their mobo bios and set it to 3.0 manually since most of the riser kit cables are 3.0.

Did you try manually setting the PCIe 16x slots to PCI 3.0 in BIOS? As you said, PCIe 4 card and board, PCIe 3 cable- it was probably trying to run at 4.0 speed and getting signal degradation.
No. That's something to test. I went function over form and ripped out the cable. Honestly, I am curious to know what electrical differences there are between a PCI 3.0 and 4.0 connector.

No. That's something to test. I went function over form and ripped out the cable. Honestly, I am curious to know what electrical differences there are between a PCI 3.0 and 4.0 connector.
Electrically there is no difference, 4.0 is double the bandwidth though so some of the parts are made out of a little bit different materials but design and pin layout wise its the exact same.
That said there aren't many 4.0 riser cables out there, not sure how much testing has been done on them to verify their capability though this is the only one I've found: 4.0 riser cable

According to the reviews the one with the red plastic shrouding is the new 2020 pcie 4.0 version of the cable, worth a shot since its easily returnable to amazon.
The design of it looks like it would work with the phanteks riser kit too, the only concern is the length of the cable depending on which slots you installed it.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I can confirm that I need to run pcie-3.0 on my system to be stable. AMD Ryzen 5600x on a Asus Strix x570-e. PCI-E 4.0 setting does the weird sluggish graphics and eventual nv driver crash causing a BSOD whenever a 3d application is run.

I can confirm that I need to run pcie-3.0 on my system to be stable. AMD Ryzen 5600x on a Asus Strix x570-e. PCI-E 4.0 setting does the weird sluggish graphics and eventual nv driver crash causing a BSOD whenever a 3d application is run.
Bummer. But at least there is some consistency. I wonder if this is specific to the Strix x570-e

Electrically there is no difference, 4.0 is double the bandwidth though so some of the parts are made out of a little bit different materials but design and pin layout wise its the exact same.
That said there aren't many 4.0 riser cables out there, not sure how much testing has been done on them to verify their capability though this is the only one I've found: 4.0 riser cable

According to the reviews the one with the red plastic shrouding is the new 2020 pcie 4.0 version of the cable, worth a shot since its easily returnable to amazon.
The design of it looks like it would work with the phanteks riser kit too, the only concern is the length of the cable depending on which slots you installed it.
Thanks for the link to the 4.0 cable. Here's hoping the price on those come down some :D

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I’ve got a 3070 ftw3 ultra gaming mounted vertical. I agree it is close to the glass side panel hence me adding fans to the bottom
61A96CBC-53D3-4266-A0E6-F74F6BBBCDB4.jpeg

https://linkup.one/pcie-4-0-riser-cables-ultra/

Straight from the company that makes the cable. They have a 5% coupon code in the chat bot window on their website. After browsing around, I found a USB cable adapter I need to make my lower USB ports useful on my case as I only had 1 USB 3.0 header on my motherboard but the Lian Li 011DXL has 3 cable headers for USB C, USB 3.1 and USB 3.0. The strix has USB C and USB 3.1 but 2 USB 2.0 headers.

Last edited:
Installed the Phanteks mount last night, couldn't wait for a 4.0 cable so i pre-emptively set my slots to 3.0. the included cable would not work in the middle pcie slot because of the way it stresses downward, i need the top slot to fit a pcie usb card since reading about Reverb G2 not liking x570 usb slots. so that left the bottom slot. it works and is just as cool temp wise as before.

one good side affect i noticed right away is my nvme drive is a lot lower temperature, the gpu basically vented right onto it before, i like being able to see the fans spinning, so i am happy with it. will install the 4.0 cable whenever it gets here.

https://linkup.one/pcie-4-0-riser-cables-ultra/

Straight from the company that makes the cable. They have a 5% coupon code in the chat bot window on their website. After browsing around, I found a USB cable adapter I need to make my lower USB ports useful on my case as I only had 1 USB 3.0 header on my motherboard but the Lian Li 011DXL has 3 cable headers for USB C, USB 3.1 and USB 3.0. The strix has USB C and USB 3.1 but 2 USB 2.0 headers.
Thats one of the reasons I went with the regular O11D, didnt want to have to mess with pcie adapter headers, one usb-c and one usb 3.0 is perfect for my older Z390 board and leaves all the 2.0 slots for RGB controllers and misc accessories.

LED strips came in, its amazing how good just some stage lighting makes everything pop even without all the fans and addons for finalizing
bling bling:

Edit: So just some info about running this way, due to the fan placement my GPU runs about 10c hotter idle (55c to the point the fan stays on) when running vertical.
When horizontal the case fan 'passively' cools the gpu further, however I see negligible difference in load temps (1-2c).

Last edited:
putting the cpu rad on top would help heat vent out better.

My 3090 idles 48 to 50c in vertical position so fans only spin up once a game is running.

Running 4x 140mm fans 1k rpm with around 65 cfm rated per fan. Since my 5600x runs less power than my i7 7700k 5Ghz I have been able to omit the rear case fan conpared to my previous case where zi had a 140mm exhaust in back.

putting the cpu rad on top would help heat vent out better.
I plan on putting normal fans up there for venting eventually, for now I prefer to have fresh air from the side intake of the case that will reduce the temps by around 5c (maybe more depending on the GPU heat since thats still air cooled for me)
That 9900k I have when overclocked pumps out an insane amount of heat.

what is the point in running it vertically?...just aesthetics?
Sometimes it's just for looks, but it can also free up slots that would otherwise be blocked by the vid card or allow for better cooling depending on the case design.

what is the point in running it vertically?...just aesthetics?
I'd say 95+% of the time its for aesthetics, the rest of the time would likely be for better air flow through and/or access to ports as zandor mentioned.

In standard position it dumps a lot of heat onto my 2nd nvme drive slot and I have a 4tb there I'd rather not cook.

I'd say 95+% of the time its for aesthetics, the rest of the time would likely be for better air flow through and/or access to ports as zandor mentioned.
It’s also very beneficial for watercooling as it allows people to see the water blocks a lot easier to notice any potential blockages or growths before they become a bigger issue.

Back