Anyone running a Ryzen 3 2200G? Does it run hot?

Emission

Supreme [H]ardness
Picked up one of these the other day to use in my HTPC, and the performance is pretty good despite some bugs I'm trying to work out, but I noticed it runs awfully hot.

I had an extra Wraith Spire laying around, which is beefier than the Wraith Stealth that the 2200G comes with, so I figured it would run cool, but that doesn't appear to be the case. In Windows 10, with the latest Radeon driver, running desktop applications like Discord and watching Youtube videos, it gets pretty hot pretty quick, like north of 60C pretty consistently and I've seen it peak at 80C, that doesn't seem right, and the fan is spinning up pretty regularly.

Anyone else experiencing this?

yup, clean it and reseat it. also check what your voltage is. if its on auto it might be getting too much.

It should run fine, but the 2200G amd 2400G don't have soldered integrated heat spreaders like the other Ryzen chips do. So that will inherently make their temps a bit higher than what you'd expect them to be, especially if OCed with high voltage. I run mine with a Noctua L12S which is a great 70mm cooler. I can imagine it'd be a bit rougher on some more low profile designs.

Built a small ITX NAS / Home Workstation using a 2400G and an Asrock board. It was cramped inside with airflow that only came in through a full HDD hotswap cage.

Using the stock cooler, temps weren't great, but they were acceptable. I think possibly lower than you are experiencing though.

I did stress it for 30+ minutes using 3 simultaneous benchmarks/stress tests (prime 95, cinebench, Unigine Heaven) to test temps and the XMP stability. Fan ramped up during that session, but I don't remember ever hearing the fan louder than expected any other time. I want to say it got over 90c, but stuck there for the remaining 20 minutes or so, didn't see any throttling. IIRC it idled in the mid 30's. I did adjust the fan profile a tiny bit to be slightly more aggressive during minor load, but it probably wasn't necessary.

That was last November I built it for someone else, and haven't heard of any issues.
upload_2019-9-10_6-29-12.png

EDIT: I misread, I thought you said it idled at 60... Keep in mind this thing has Vega cores on it as well, it's going to get warmer than just a 4-core CPU. however, you might still be running a bit warm, depends on your airflow. At any rate, i don't think those numbers are ridiculous for what is likely a cramped case.

Last edited:
I have a 2400g but it's water cooled and never gets close to hot.

it sounds like poor heatsink contact.

yup, clean it and reseat it. also check what your voltage is. if its on auto it might be getting too much.

I checked the contact on the heatsink and it was perfect, so I'm not sure that's the culprit. I do have it in a fairly small case on a shelf in an entertainment center, and I had figured maybe it wasn't getting good airflow. The non-soldered IHS and Vega GPU seem like the biggest culprits.

It should run fine, but the 2200G amd 2400G don't have soldered integrated heat spreaders like the other Ryzen chips do. So that will inherently make their temps a bit higher than what you'd expect them to be, especially if OCed with high voltage. I run mine with a Noctua L12S which is a great 70mm cooler. I can imagine it'd be a bit rougher on some more low profile designs.

Built a small ITX NAS / Home Workstation using a 2400G and an Asrock board. It was cramped inside with airflow that only came in through a full HDD hotswap cage.

Using the stock cooler, temps weren't great, but they were acceptable. I think possibly lower than you are experiencing though.

I did stress it for 30+ minutes using 3 simultaneous benchmarks/stress tests (prime 95, cinebench, Unigine Heaven) to test temps and the XMP stability. Fan ramped up during that session, but I don't remember ever hearing the fan louder than expected any other time. I want to say it got over 90c, but stuck there for the remaining 20 minutes or so, didn't see any throttling. IIRC it idled in the mid 30's. I did adjust the fan profile a tiny bit to be slightly more aggressive during minor load, but it probably wasn't necessary.

That was last November I built it for someone else, and haven't heard of any issues.

EDIT: I misread, I thought you said it idled at 60... Keep in mind this thing has Vega cores on it as well, it's going to get warmer than just a 4-core CPU. however, you might still be running a bit warm, depends on your airflow. At any rate, i don't think those numbers are ridiculous for what is likely a cramped case.

This appears to be the case, I just wanted to gauge if these operating conditions were out of the norm for this processor.

Thanks for the input!

Reactions: Nside
like this
I do have it in a fairly small case on a shelf in an entertainment center, and I had figured maybe it wasn't getting good airflow.
and theres you problem. put it up on the desk and see what temps are like.

I've built a couple 2200g for my wife/tv box (ends up being the grand kids netflix box 90% of the time lol) and my teen daughter. I went 2200g as the 2400g is just not better... it has HT sure, but ya it runs hotter as a result. If you really are going to do any lite 1080p gaming or anything the lower thermal allow you to clock the Vega igpu up a couple hundred mhz higher then the 2400 can handle thermally without more expensive cooling then is worthwhile on a cheapo cpu. Neither of the 2200s I built get all that hot... think 60-70ish if you run something real on them. 99% of the time though they running video or web browsing on them... and they run nice and cool doing such things. I was surprised how well the 2200 can game though at 1080... no you can't run everything at ultra and get 75fps or anything. Surprising though that you can run a lot of games at high settings and get a smooth enough frame rate.

I think the reason I originally brought this up is because I was using a Ryzen 5 1600 prior to the 2200G, they're both 65W TDP, but the 2200G seems to run a lot hotter in practice because of the nature of the GPU's power consumption.

I used to run a 2400g and I think the hottest I ever seen it get was like 60c and that was on the stock cooler. Just remove the paste and put your own on it and put a really thin layer. You should be good to go and screw down the HSF as hard as the screws will let it go if it is factory cooler.

Back