Anyone running a 6000 series card under Arch Linux?

scajjr29

Weaksauce
Debating on getting a 6900XT for my upgrade and as I dual boot between Win 10 and Arch linux was wondering if anyone has a 6000 series card running under Linux and any pros/cons.

sam

Will be as soon as I finish building it (10980XE + 6800XT LC + Samsung G9). Only issues I've heard of are with the G9, which sometimes doesn't play well with 240Hz on it. I'll let you know if I encounter any problems.

I'm running a 6900 XT with Arch after upgrading from an RTX 2080 Ti and let me tell you, AMD is just so much better under Linux than NVIDIA.

I'm running a 6900 XT with Arch after upgrading from an RTX 2080 Ti and let me tell you, AMD is just so much better under Linux than NVIDIA.

I'm currently using a 2080Ti, have a Z570 & a 5950X to do an upgrade with once I get around to actually doing it. Would be nice if I get a 6900X in today's (or any days) Newegg Shuffle. Last resort is making the hour drive to Microcenter and getting a $1800 Powercolor 6900XT.

sam

Put a 6900XT in last night. Boots into Win 10 just fine. Arch on the other hand just gives me blank screen, no cursor. It's all up to date, not sure what the issue is.

sam

Found a Reddit thread where a few people had the same issue. I booted into recovery, ran sudo mkinitcpio -p linux, rebooted and all is fine now.
sam

Reactions: Nobu
like this
Found a Reddit thread where a few people had the same issue. I booted into recovery, ran sudo mkinitcpio -p linux, rebooted and all is fine now.
sam
Probably didn't have the amd kms driver in the initcpio environment. Arch updates it when the linux package is installed/updated, and the regular init environment only includes drivers for installed hardware (unless you explicitly tell it to include something). The "fallback" includes everything, however.

Quick fix is to run `pacman -S linux`, which will reinstall linux and then run all the post-install hooks, including mkinitcpio.

Awesome. I just got a 6800XT, but I'm waiting on other parts to build an all AMD Linux rig.

Currently on a 2080 Ti, which works fine, but I've been hearing how much better AMD is on Linux and want to give it a shot.

Forgot to mention I had edited the mkinitcpio.conf file to add "amdgpu radeon" to the MODULES first, then ran the mkinitcpio -p linux command.

Well I am planning on putting the 6900XT with Mint Linux, currently it has a 5800XT. Not sure if I can just remove one card and put the the other in. Any pointers here would be helpful.

Pretty much. Should just work. But I mostly end up on pure Ubuntu these days for some commercial support.

Pretty much. Should just work. But I mostly end up on pure Ubuntu these days for some commercial support.
I may go to Ubuntu if Modo does not work, it did before in Mint so I expect it should again. Thanks

I may go to Ubuntu if Modo does not work, it did before in Mint so I expect it should again. Thanks

As you're already running a AMD card you shouldn't have any issues unless the kernel your Mint is on is older. I was coming from a 2080Ti and even though I had removed all the nvidia drivers, Arch didn't just boot up and see there was a AMD card there.

sam

Back