Anyone running a 4090 on sub 1KW PSU?

I really want to go find all those dingle berries posts who were giving me crap being all WhY WoUld YoU SpeND $1,000 On A grAphICs CaRd BuT NoT gEt a 1000W PsU Durrrr Durrr Durrr. Morons.

I really want to go find all those dingle berries posts who were giving me crap being all WhY WoUld YoU SpeND $1,000 On A grAphICs CaRd BuT NoT gEt a 1000W PsU Durrrr Durrr Durrr. Morons.
I mean, they have a point. They're not necessarily wrong and you're not necessarily wrong. 700W utilization under gaming loads means it tight when you're at 850W. You have to assume that power utilization will go down over time, which is a pretty safe assumption.

Probably more the thinking is why skimp on a PSU if you're willing to blow top dollar for a GPU?

I believe the idea of using a 1000W PSU with a high end system with a 4090 for sure has merit, it just is not absolutely required if you already have a good high power PSU. A 1000W would be more in it's efficiency sweetspot and would have overhead for future GPU/CPU power demands and compensate for PSU degradation over time. I am not worried about using my 850W with my 4090 as I've not noticed going over 700W in my usage, but I will still likely upgrade at some point in the next year or two, once there are more good ATX 3.0 options out there.

I believe the idea of using a 1000W PSU with a high end system with a 4090 for sure has merit, it just is not absolutely required if you already have a good high power PSU. A 1000W would be more in it's efficiency sweetspot and would have overhead for future GPU/CPU power demands and compensate for PSU degradation over time. I am not worried about using my 850W with my 4090 as I've not noticed going over 700W in my usage, but I will still likely upgrade at some point in the next year or two, once there are more good ATX 3.0 options out there.
I agree. Corsair recently replaced my current PSU so it's practically brand new. Didn't feel like it had to be replaced just yet. While I didn't measure wattage at the wall, I do have my machine plugged into a UPS and saw about a max of 720W on its display in the most demanding gaming load situations at 4k120hz.

Probably more the thinking is why skimp on a PSU if you're willing to blow top dollar for a GPU?
If you’re buying a new PSU regardless, I’d agree. Might as well go with a 1kw+ but if you already have a quality 750 or especially 850, it’s not really skimping to use it. I’d argue it’s smart since they appear to handle the load without issue.

I don't see the logic here.

I buy expensive GPU because that is what I need. If there is a cheaper GPU with same performance or specifications, I'll buy the cheaper one.
If the cheaper PSU already give me what performance I need, why spent more?

I think rational consumption is always a good thing. Even if I have the money, I still do not want to over spend. There is always something better, I have to stop somewhere.

Last edited:

I buy expensive GPU because that is what I need. If there is a cheaper GPU with same performance or specifications, I'll buy the cheaper one.

I think rational consumption is always a good thing. Even if I have the money, I still do not want to over spend. There is always something better, I have to stop somewhere.
What's better than the 4090?

Sure. However, most people like to build a box that can last multiple generations - or, at the very least, allows them the ability to move from the “060” GPU guy to the “080” or even “090” GPU guy if things change financially.

What I don’t understand is why save a few bucks and get the PSU that is exactly at the limit of what you need? Furthermore - if the manufacturer recommends 850W why run 750W? You can do it - but you put your expensive component at risk. At the very least from a warranty perspective.

Sure. However, most people like to build a box that can last multiple generations - or, at the very least, allows them the ability to move from the “060” GPU guy to the “080” or even “090” GPU guy if things change financially.

What I don’t understand is why save a few bucks and get the PSU that is exactly at the limit of what you need? Furthermore - if the manufacturer recommends 850W why run 750W? You can do it - but you put your expensive component at risk. At the very least from a warranty perspective.
What risk? Unless you're running pure shit like the exploding gigabyte PSU's, you'll trip OCP and the system shuts off. You make it sound like the PSU will shot a bolt of lightening through the wires as soon as you exceed its capacity.

What risk? Unless you're running pure shit like the exploding gigabyte PSU's, you'll trip OCP and the system shuts off. You make it sound like the PSU will shot a bolt of lightening through the wires as soon as you exceed its capacity.
You never know when it’s people who skimp on PSUs…

Back