Anyone running 4GB RAM (4x1GB)???

2004raptor

Limp Gawd
As the subject says, does anyone use 4 modules?

I am planning on getting a new motherboard (haven't decided on which one though) and RAM. I am looking at the Crucial DDR2 800MHz RAM and want to go with 4GB. I just don't want to run into any issues. The two motherboards that I keep debating over are Gigabyte DS4 and the Abit IP35 Pro. My current processor is e6400 C2D.

Edit - This will be on Vista Ultimate 64 btw.

From my own recent experience just spring for the 2gbx2 kit. Less headaches and only a few more $$$ initially. I bought a 2 gig set then another like a week later and still had random crashes, etc. even with more volts and lower timings on a mobo that is suppose to (what people have said) not have issues sooooooooooo... Now i'm out the money i will lose on the sale of the initial ram + the difference i paid for the 2gbx2 set. So just spend the slight difference now! :p

I am running 4x1. No stability problems for me BUT going to 4 sticks from 2 did impact my overclock. If I loosen my timings I could likely get most of that back but I haven't tried that theory out yet.

Successful here. No significant overclocking here, didn't try to push past 400Mhz at 1:1. Success on Abit AB9 QuadGT, Gigabyte GA69GM-S2H, and looking forward to 680i A1 later this week.

I was successful with 4 sticks in a 680i (EVGA NF-68-A1) board. Note that I don't overclock my RAM beyond stock, but I did tighten timings to 4-4-4-12.

Mark.

I am running 4 sticks on an Abit IP35 Pro. 2x1 GB Buffalo Firestix DDR2-800, and 2x1 GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2-800. Voltage set to 2.1 V, everything is current at 415 Mhz since I haven't felt like mucking around a little more to get my CPU to a stable 3+ Ghz.

It works fine for me.

Successful here as well. You need to back off voltage and timings because I haven't seen a motherboard whose ram slots don't cause the heatspreaders on all groups of 2 sticks to touch each other. Heat quickly becomes an issue.

I am currently running 4 (4gb) sticks of Firestix in a Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6 (v2.0). Due to time restraints I haven't really tested the system. Windows Xp only recognizes 3.5gb, which is normal, btw. Both the bios, and Cpu-z verify the 4 gb. All in all it is stable at stock speeds. Also, I believe there is a newer version of this board with a newer chipset.

I have 4x1GB of the Buffalo Firestix. With my 3.6GHz OC and my memory running at 450MHz I had to go from 4-4-4-12 to 5-5-5-15 and increase the voltage. And still have some stability issues. But barely. I don't have any issues with gaming or everyday use, I only have reboots after 20 minutes with the Orthos blend test.

When I drop down to 3.52GHz with the memory at 440MHz, it seems stable.

I was wondering though. Is this an issue with the memory or the motherboard? I'm still using a P965 board, so must admit I'm looking for an excuse to upgrade anyway. Do different boards handle 4 memory sticks differently than others?

I have 4x1GB of the Buffalo Firestix. With my 3.6GHz OC and my memory running at 450MHz I had to go from 4-4-4-12 to 5-5-5-15 and increase the voltage. And still have some stability issues. But barely. I don't have any issues with gaming or everyday use, I only have reboots after 20 minutes with the Orthos blend test.

When I drop down to 3.52GHz with the memory at 440MHz, it seems stable.

I was wondering though. Is this an issue with the memory or the motherboard? I'm still using a P965 board, so must admit I'm looking for an excuse to upgrade anyway. Do different boards handle 4 memory sticks differently than others?

Are the heatspreaders on that memory touching? Mine are on the DS3. If so, you will have heat issues.

Are the heatspreaders on that memory touching? Mine are on the DS3. If so, you will have heat issues.

They are close, but not quite touching.

I considered the heat. I have two Antec SpotCool fans installed over the memory.

memory.jpg

Back