anyone run their own CSS server?

sdy284

Gawd
Ok, i'm getting the generic "map missing, disconnecting" error when I try to connect to my server. My server is in my house, and other people don't have problems connecting to it. My sv_downloadurl does work, but anyway...

here's what i've done:

double and triple checkd that I have proper flags in my server.cfg
sv_allowdownload 1
sv_allowupload 1

verified that I have the maps both on my local server, and in my svdownloadurl location. For some reason though, when i enter the url of where the bsp file is supposed to be in my browser, it won't download. if i enter the url of a text file or an MP3, then it download/displays correctly. But I have no problems download the bsp file via cuteftp or via GoDaddy's web file manager.

i tried bzipping one map to see if it would download that... still didn't got the exact same error. Whats odd is other files like mp3s and stuff download fine, I dont know why the maps won't

I made sure that cl allowdownload 1 was set on my client PC...

Also, when i navigate to my steamapps/cstrike/maps folder (just the path off the top of my head, you get the idea) i can see the custommap.res & custommap.txt files... but the bsp's are missing...

I'm really at my wits end with this

Any ideas?

Its been awhile since I've been around the block with it. But I had the server itself running off one machine, and the content was served off another one (both on 100mbit links, the gamers loved me).

I used to have a LOT of issues with the sv_download via HTTP. You have to verify file permissions (unless this is a Windows box, then its kinda not an issue).

If you can see the files locally, and you can grab them via FTP, then your map components txt files for the map are not pulling in all the resources, for example, some maps have custom textures, and the like, and I remember having to manually add a good majority of things by hand to the text files so the http served up everything.

Now, maybe there have been improvements in this method that I'm not aware of, but it really did require a lot of hands on, tweak and verify work.

Here's the way I used to troubleshoot custom maps: Load it up, and watch the console clientisde and serverside for errors about missing sounds, textures, and the like, all these things can cause instability, crashes and just plain headaches. Trace what is not loading, or the client side says is missing, go back on the server and verify the item does exist in the proper location, and its file permissions are correct (I served content off a linux box for HTTP, and the CS servers ran off Windows box, so file permissions and directory structure were very important)

For some reason though, when i enter the url of where the bsp file is supposed to be in my browser, it won't download

Also, when i navigate to my steamapps/cstrike/maps folder (just the path off the top of my head, you get the idea) i can see the custommap.res & custommap.txt files... but the bsp's are missing...

I find it odd that the map you are trying to find is NOT in the maps folder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNZE_yXzYRM <-----the absolute BEST tutorials for setting up a CSS server with lots of addons. I suggest watching it. There are 9 videos total I think parts 1-5 and some of the parts are broken down into multiple videos.

Its been awhile since I've been around the block with it. But I had the server itself running off one machine, and the content was served off another one (both on 100mbit links, the gamers loved me).

I used to have a LOT of issues with the sv_download via HTTP. You have to verify file permissions (unless this is a Windows box, then its kinda not an issue).

If you can see the files locally, and you can grab them via FTP, then your map components txt files for the map are not pulling in all the resources, for example, some maps have custom textures, and the like, and I remember having to manually add a good majority of things by hand to the text files so the http served up everything.

Now, maybe there have been improvements in this method that I'm not aware of, but it really did require a lot of hands on, tweak and verify work.

Here's the way I used to troubleshoot custom maps: Load it up, and watch the console clientisde and serverside for errors about missing sounds, textures, and the like, all these things can cause instability, crashes and just plain headaches. Trace what is not loading, or the client side says is missing, go back on the server and verify the item does exist in the proper location, and its file permissions are correct (I served content off a linux box for HTTP, and the CS servers ran off Windows box, so file permissions and directory structure were very important)

all my files are where they're supposed to be, and i'm running a windows server, so permissions aren't the issue :confused:

and those video's weren't that helpful as i'm using a external download url and he didn't cover that

Back