Anyone rolling with the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II LD?

darkhunter139

Supreme [H]ardness
I have a chance to pick up this lens for $350 from my local craigslist. It is in mint condition he said and has always been used with a UV filter (Ill inspect it to make sure obviously)

Think this would be worth picking up for my nikon D40 and will it give me better IQ then my kit lens?

I have the Canon version and it is an excellent lens. the focusing motor is noisier and slower when compared to my brothers 17-40 f/4L lens but image quality is nearly identical.

Canon version here, love it. Much better quality and shooting ability than the 18-55 IS kit that came with my camera. Also replaces my 50mm prime unless I really need extremely shallow DOF, which isn't often. I don't personally find the motor as slow/noisy as some people make it sound, but then I'm not comparing to anything special either.

79ta.jpg

I think I am just going to save up for the sigma f/2.8 70-200mm HSM lens. Id rather have a fast zoom lens and that one is $800 and seems like a nice lens.

If you get the motorized 17-50 Tammy for Nikon, there's a good chance you're going to see some front focus problems.

I have the screw drive for my D90 and it's pretty great. Focus is tack sharp, but kinda slow.

I have the Nikon version and love it. The AF is a little slow compared to my 18-200 Nikon but its still great for low light indoor photography.

Back