Anyone regretting their 980x purchase?

3DChipset

Gawd
I'm curious if anyone who purchased their 980x for $1000.00 has any regrets of their purchase? In other words after using your CPU for awhile now, did you really see any real world results for your every day usage?

Obviously it's going to depend on what you're using it for, but I don't regret it at all! This baby does rendering significantly faster than what I upgraded from (i7 920 @ 3.6ghz) and gives me a huge return on time. I didn't do any comparisons before selling off my 920 but it's easily 50+% faster (Taking in to account that I'm running faster clocks now too). In the digital arts classes I'm taking, where I'm doing fluid dynamics and character animation, I can really focus on the eye candy more without having to worry about how long it'll take to render. My machine renders about 3.7 times faster than the quad-core core2 Xeon workstations that my classmates are stuck using. Suckers! :D

Damn! that much faster? Nice... Yeah I guess you have a point in what you do with it. I was thinking of investing in one for blu-ray decoding, but can't swallow the 1k price tag. lol

Well, considering AMDs prices on their 6 core, I would definitely regret it.

I actually need 6 cores for what I do it for. I 6 box MMOs on two PCs. The one with the 4 is very laggy even though I have hibernate disabled, 1 hard drive per client, 1 core per client, 1 GB ram per client. I also need more memory as 4 GB is not enough. It uses up all the memory with just 3 of the clients open.

Well, considering AMDs prices on their 6 core, I would definitely regret it.

Intel 6 core chips are in a totally different league than AMD 6 core. AMD's 6 core needs 2 extra cores and 200 to 400 MHz to be competitive with Intels quad core ( 8 threaded ) processors.

I regret not going straight to the SR-2, however I held off on that because it requires a big expensive case.

If you've got the cash and you like computers, go for it! I would if I could, even though I don't have a productive use for one hehe.

Where's the 990x? Actually I'd settle for a midl-level unlocked hexacore. Now that would be a worthwhile upgrade but I doubt that would arrive until the 990x does. And how long do we have to wait until octacores? I think they are falling behind Moore's law.

I don't regret mine for 667 after bing cashback.

Sounds like you bought it at gunpoint. LOL.

Last edited:
After deciding the break the bank, I have no regrets for going with a 980x Gulftown last month for folding2 in my sig. How well these Gulftowns perform in folding@home is incredible. Folding1 which uses a Bloomfield 930 produces roughly 22-25k points per day. On thesse same work units, folding2 manages to produce 44-46k ppd. Of the Gulftown owners, I am running the lowest overclock as I am running it as high as it will go on stock voltage, which is 3.6ghz. Some of the guys with overclocks of 4ghz or more are producing 50k ppd. We have a team member that has dual 12 core Magny [email protected] who is producing 55k ppd. The fact that a Gulftown can be on the heels of a 24 core rig is incredible.

If any of you Gulftown owners want to help our folding team, come join our team and help us as we dig in to try to fend off the "other" team. You can join us over in the DC computing subforum here.

Intel 6 core chips are in a totally different league than AMD 6 core. AMD's 6 core needs 2 extra cores and 200 to 400 MHz to be competitive with Intels quad core ( 8 threaded ) processors.
Not when it comes to video encoding. But yes, the Intel six-cores are above the phenom II x6s. Either way, a six-core cpu (1055t) for $199 is one hell of a deal even if Intel six-cores outperform it that are 5 times the price.

there was only 1, seller with just 4 feedback so bought with a CC. Got a sealed intel retail box, was kind of wondering if he'd deliver but all was good.

I wonder where he stole it from.... Oh well. A huge amount of stuff on ebay is stolen.

Or he won it at a LAN or something and didn't have a 1366 motherboard for it / would rather have cash.

I have a i7 970 and I got it somewhat "cheap", because here in Australia a 970 costs like $1200 and I got mine for $800, and a 980x costs like $1400 here. And no, I don't regret getting one either, its fast and I've noticed applications load and process more quickly compared to my old i7 950. And I love it how it runs much cooler, my 950 idles at 30-40 on stock speeds and my 970 idles at 20C at stock.

The Phenom II X6-1090T and the i7-940 seems to be at parity to me (both costing $300):

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/146?vs=46
True, but the Phenom II X6s (both the 1055t and the 1090t) OC to 4Ghz with decent cooling although same goes with the Core i7 as well. Besides, the CPUs may be the same price, but the platform (ram, cpu, and mobo) are more expensive when you go the Intel route.
And no, I don't regret getting one either, its fast and I've noticed applications load and process more quickly compared to my old i7 950.
Yes, it's so old. *sarcasm* I wish I had an i7 950 :(

I have a i7 970 and I got it somewhat "cheap", because here in Australia a 970 costs like $1200 and I got mine for $800, and a 980x costs like $1400 here. And no, I don't regret getting one either, its fast and I've noticed applications load and process more quickly compared to my old i7 950. And I love it how it runs much cooler, my 950 idles at 30-40 on stock speeds and my 970 idles at 20C at stock.

Thats good perfomance? have you tried OCing it to 4 - 4.5GHz on air?

I'm curious if anyone who purchased their 980x for $1000.00 has any regrets of their purchase? In other words after using your CPU for awhile now, did you really see any real world results for your every day usage?

Not at all. Significantly better than my Q9650 when rendering movies in vegas. Games are more responsive and I have unlocked multiplies to keep me happy for aloooong time. But I also made the switch from Windows Vista 64-bit to Windows 7 64-bit during the time I got my 980X so it partially could be the new OS too.

Damn! that much faster? Nice... Yeah I guess you have a point in what you do with it. I was thinking of investing in one for blu-ray decoding, but can't swallow the 1k price tag. lol

I can understand about the price. But you do get two additional cores which wasn't available when during the time of release. If you play games, then quadcore is fine. But in rendering it really helps.

Well I'm sold... I really want to get into video encoding. Placed an order this evening. :)

OH Man... Now you guys made me cancel my 920 order....uggh! Building this killer rig got the fastest memory might as well get the best CPU right!

LOL...well I canceled the 980x order! LOL...because of the price reduction went with the 950....and glad I did!

well just got my 980X w00t but havent built it yet. My batch is 3005F803T and Stepping is SLBUZ. Anyone with a 980X have this batch or stepping? How was your OC?

I got a Prolimatech Megahalems, hopefully I can get 4GHz out this bad boy easy. What OCs are you guys with a 980X getting?

DSCN2214x.jpg

Mine was well worth the money... 3-4 times faster than my intel quad core. But, yes, it all depends what you do with it;)

Why buy a 980X strictly for gaming? Sooo much wasted money in that setup there.

Because I want to see how well the 32nm's OC. I have already been there and dont that with the 920 D0 and got bored.

Im sure once I get bored with this I will off it too.

Back