Anyone regret getting threadripper after seeing 7980xe leaks?

Personally I think the simple truth of the said burn spot photo is being overlooked. The TR4 socket is the superior design for higher power demand cpus. Tiny touchpad contacts simply turn to fuses at high amperage and temps. Long time Achilles heel for Intel cpus as far as I've experienced.

Your claim was the a 7800x is incompatible with the x299 Taichai, unless used with bios 1.48 or later, and that info was clearly posted on ASRock website.

That's not true, ASRock doesn't say that. You did what it seems you always do, and dug waaaaay down to try and twist information to fit your narrative.

I'll repeat my previous statement, because it stands still. If there was a bug, one that only affected 7800x and not ant other skl-x CPUs, and it had the possibility of causing an issue like we're discussing, ASRock would pull the bios, or at the very least, Mark the 7800x only compatible with newer bios releases.

I will reply to your personal remarks with a resume of main points of this discussion.

It started when posts #38 and #39 mentioned Steven's 'review' of the 7980XE. In post #43 I replied that I would wait for proper reviews, because Steven's recent reviews are pure garbage. I am not the only one that think this. Check what another user wrote in #53

Hardware Unboxed's results have always been anomalous, skewed in favor of AMD and against Intel.

I then gave a list of serious problems in Steven's recent 'reviews', including the fact that he used a motherboard with compatibility issues with the 7800X and damaged the chip during his 'review'. As demonstrated, AsRock released a BIOS fix for the 7800X about one month after Stevens published his 'review'. You can repeat the same point once again; it doesn't change anything. It is possible that Asrock marked the 7800X as incompatible before releasing the BIOS fix.

Now let us return to the original point. How wrong/biased and useless are Steven's reviews. We already have lots of reviews of the 7980XE. Stevens got the next power draw figures:

OMG look at this, the power draw, everyone jump ship now !!

1Power.png

Other reviews got

power.png

67445bad-df12-4700-8626-1f366daf868e.png

fc5ebdce-9cb8-4579-afcf-bb9cb7987d1f.png

8348_29_intel-core-i9-7980xe-7960x-cpu-review.png

power-1.png

getgraphimg.php

91497.png

loadpower.png

i9-7980XE vs TR 1920X (other reviews): 105%, 108%, 98%, 109%, 100%, 79%, 108%, 89%.

i9-7980XE vs TR 1920X (Stevens): 157%.

Review-chart-template-2017-final.001-980x735.png

i9-7960X vs TR 1950X (other reviews): 99%, 103%, 94%, 85%, 92%, 89%, 100%.

i9-7960X vs TR 1950X (Stevens): 125%.

So Stevens just got a much worse power consumption figures for Intel chips than other reviews. How unexpected! :whistle:

Last edited:
Power consumption figures seem to be all over the place.
It is fair to say that both TR and 7980xe are close and both can draw over 300 watts when pushed with the right program.
I doubt Stevens has an agenda against Intel. He videos seem legit. Besides, I doubt it is power consumption that sways people away fro TR to x299...

He getting 48--78% higher consumption for the 7980XE than other reviews just confirm I took the proper decision by ignoring his 'review' and awaiting for proper reviews, before taking conclusions about the new chip.

As stated in a former post, I don't care if the is a fanboy, paid or simply incompetent. I will continue ignoring his 'reviews', except when I want a good laugh.

I just dont get why you guys are vehemently defending Intel. They are literally screwing thier customers over with a big vibrating silcone molded device. 2000 for not a wh
He getting 48--78% higher consumption for the 7980XE than other reviews just confirm I took the proper decision by ignoring his 'review' and awaiting for proper reviews, before taking conclusions about the new chip.

As stated in a former post, I don't care if the is a fanboy, paid or simply incompetent. I will continue ignoring his 'reviews', except when I want a good laugh.

There is nothing wrong with your opinion to not want to watch his reviews. I find them entertaining, somewhat informative, but I still like his channel. At any rate I am NOT impressed with the 7980xe at the price they are demanding. Drop the price and I will start looking much closer.

I will reply to your personal remarks with a resume of main points of this discussion.

It started when posts #38 and #39 mentioned Steven's 'review' of the 7980XE. In post #43 I replied that I would wait for proper reviews, because Steven's recent reviews are pure garbage. I am not the only one that think this. Check what another user wrote in #53

I then gave a list of serious problems in Steven's recent 'reviews', including the fact that he used a motherboard with compatibility issues with the 7800X and damaged the chip during his 'review'. As demonstrated, AsRock released a BIOS fix for the 7800X about one month after Stevens published his 'review'. You can repeat the same point once again; it doesn't change anything. It is possible that Asrock marked the 7800X as incompatible before releasing the BIOS fix.

Now let us return to the original point. How wrong/biased and useless are Steven's reviews. We already have lots of reviews of the 7980XE. Stevens got the next power draw figures:

Other reviews got

power.png

power-1.png

getgraphimg.php

91497.png

loadpower.png

i9-7980XE vs TR 1920X (other reviews): 105%, 108%, 98%, 109%, 100%, 79%, 108%, 89%.

So Stevens just got a much worse power consumption figures for Intel chips than other reviews. How unexpected! :whistle:
5/9 charts are unidentifiable. you need to add links...

There has yet to be a review that recommends a 7980xe or 7960x over the 1950x, especially when factoring in platform advantages.

There has yet to be a review that recommends a 7980xe or 7960x over the 1950x, especially when factoring in platform advantages.

Thats cause $2,000 for a cpu is insane on the consumer level. Personally I think $1,000 is to much but seems people will bite at that level or close to it.

I just dont get why you guys are vehemently defending Intel.

You can keep repeating that rejecting biased and technically wrong reviews is defending Intel, but is not true.

In #48 I wrote:

It is not about the results but about what reviews are accurate and rigorous, and what reviews are pieces of marketing or just utterly nonsense. TechSpot has several recent reviews that are utterly jokes. Give me a review where an engineering sample of AMD chip is tested but labeled in graphs as if was stock chip. Give me a review where the only incompatible mobo with an AMD chip is used until the chip is burnned, and then the chip is blamed. Give me a review where an overclocked Intel chip is compared with a stock chip, but both are labeled as stock on the graphs... Give me those pro-Intel biased reviews and I will denounce them in the same way.

For you information, I denounced Anandtech reviews in the past, when they used dirty tricks under stock RAM on AMD APUs or when used biased benches as Sysmark. And I dennounce them now when use compiler/settings dirty tricks to cripple performance of Broadwell/Skylake Xeons.

I denounced them in the past when were humorously known as "Inteltech" and I do now when they are known as "AMDTech".

I am still awaiting any of you to give me those biased reviews...

I didn't check if this is true or not. But I know both chips are selling.

Personally I don't care about review recommendations. Gave me raw data and specs. I can compute things myself and make purchase decisions. It seem people purchasing 7980xe or 7960x does the same.

Last edited:
just ad links to your random charts. youre trying to prove your point, so provide proper proof, add links.

Kyle did you see Jayz2cents overclocking power usage.... it was off the charts in power usage and the temps were obnoxious at more than 4.5 ghz and even at 4.5 they were rough.
Guess he better learn how to scale his charts.

7900X was no cake walk. https://www.hardocp.com/article/2017/07/19/overclocking_intel_core_i97900x_xseries_processor/

What is interesting is that we have seen those processors actual throttle and not report it. So UNLESS you have a benchmark metric that is a long-run program, you will not see it. This has been confirmed and I have never gotten answers.

Kyle, any word on getting an HCC x299 cpu? Hopefully you can get a 7920x or 7940x - two cpus that don't have a descent review yet.

I then gave a list of serious problems in Steven's recent 'reviews', including the fact that he used a motherboard with compatibility issues with the 7800X and damaged the chip during his 'review'. As demonstrated, AsRock released a BIOS fix for the 7800X about one month after Stevens published his 'review'.

You can repeat the same point once again; it doesn't change anything. It is possible that Asrock marked the 7800X as incompatible before releasing the BIOS fix.

Now let us return to the original point. How wrong/biased and useless are Steven's reviews. We already have lots of reviews of the 7980XE.

Other reviews got

<clip>

i9-7960X vs:whistle: TR 1950X (other reviews): 99%, 103%, 94%, 85%, 92%, 89%, 100%.

So Stevens just got a much worse power consumption figures for Intel chips than other reviews. How unexpected!

What does this even mean? "It is possible that Asrock marked the 7800X as incompatible before releasing the BIOS fix."

Asrock supplied the board and the cpu for the review. If there was a compatibility issue that was missed during develepment, what would be the outcome if such a major bug was found during the Techspot review?

The outcome would be an updated bios, the older versions would be pulled AND the compatibility page would have the 7800 marked only compatible from 1.48 and up. You came in here with a firm statement about the trustworthiness of Techspot review, Based on the facts that

1.7800x wasn't compatible with the Taichi before the bios 1.48.
2. The power draw numbers were off from what your felt they should be.

Sourced power numbers in non-gaming benches and the sites they came from, to compare to the non-gaming power use on Techspot

7980xe 1950x

• Techspot 299w 257w
  • Hothardware 273w 290w
  • PcPer 274w 268w
  • Hexus 233w 235w
  • Anand 190w 175w
  • HW Canucks 306w 260w
  • Techreport 281w 315w
  • Avg of all 7 265w 257w
If we drop the high/low of each to account for outliers
  • Avg 272w 262w

Where's the conspiracy? A 27w difference for total system draw, and a board that you claim to have cpu destroying compatibility issues when the mfg say's its ok?

There's garbage on the topic here, that's for damn sure. But it's not coming from Techreport.

Last edited:
What does this even mean? "It is possible that Asrock marked the 7800X as incompatible before releasing the BIOS fix."

Asrock supplied the board and the cpu for the review. If there was a compatibility issue that was missed during develepment, what would be the outcome if such a major bug was found during the Techspot review?

The outcome would be an updated bios, the older versions would be pulled AND the compatibility page would have the 7800 marked only compatible from 1.48 and up. You came in here with a firm statement about the trustworthiness of Techspot review, Based on the facts that

1.7800x wasn't compatible with the Taichi before the bios 1.48.
2. The power draw numbers were off from what your felt they should be.

Where is your proof that Asrock provided the board for reviewing only the 7800X model? It is natural to admit that AsRock provided the board for testing SXL-X models. Stevens' tested three different SXL-X models the day 23 June. As I said in #77.

Again, where is your proof that Asrock listed the board as compatible with the 7800X when the 'review' was published? I have provided evidence of AsRock releasing a compatibility fix for the 7800X the day 31 July, i.e., one month latter after the 'review' was published.

Also my statement about the trustworthiness of Stevens 'reviews' (pural) is based in all the technical flaws that one finds in his recent 'reviews'. You are ignoring them and focusing only on the mobo compatibility issue.

I said I would wait to proper reviews, instead trusting Steven numbers. Now, with proper reviews at hand. I have collected power consumption numbers and confirmed that Stevens gives worse numbers than (average) rest of reviews.

Sourced power numbers in non-gaming benches and the sites they came from, to compare to the non-gaming power use on Techspot

7980xe 1950x

• Techspot 299w 257w
  • Hothardware 273w 290w
  • PcPer 274w 268w
  • Hexus 233w 235w
  • Anand 190w 175w
  • HW Canucks 306w 260w
  • Techreport 281w 315w
  • Avg of all 7 265w 257w
If we drop the high/low of each to account for outliers
  • Avg 272w 262w

Where's the conspiracy? A 27w difference for total system draw, and a board that you claim to have cpu destroying compatibility issues when the mfg say's its ok?

You repeat numbers I have given, except you make a pair of mistakes. Anandtech measured 176.53W for the 1950X, and it rounds to 177, not 175. And Techreport gives 312W for the 1950X not 315W.

You add power consumption from HW Canucks, but you eliminate the results from HFR and TT. I re-add those results and add now TechRadar results. The ratios are

PcPer: 102%

Hexus: 99%

TT: 105%

HW Canucks: 118%

HotHardware: 94%

HFR: 81%

Anand; 108%

TechReport: 90%

TechRadar: 95%

Techspot: 116%

AVERAGE : 101%

So Stevens and HW Canucks got a power delta well above the rest of reviews. Both reviews paint a worse scenario than rest of reviews. So my early suspicion about Stevens 'review' has been confirmed.

LegitReview only gives power measurements for OC intel, but even overclocked @4.9GHz the platform consumes less power than 1950X on stock. E.g 241W vs 259W

7980xe-power-chart-645x1423.jpg

Arstechnica didn't review the 7980XE, but reviewed the 7960X (data in former post) and got much better numbers than Stevens got for the 7960X

So, once again, where is the problem with my approach of awaiting to get more reviews to obtain a picture of the new chips, instead accepting as Gospel what Stevens measured?

Last edited:
I am an AMD fanboy and regrets are stupid! :D /jk :) I have to say, the only time I have ever had regrets is when I did not purchase what I wanted too in the first place. I have a 1700 and 1700X and am happy with them but, I would love me some Threadripper just because. :)

Another review: Kitguru

xTechnical-Power.png.pagespeed.ic.dlO3yLabFh.jpg

Using the worse result (275W) for the 7980XE, the delta with the 1950X is 83%. This percentage was not used to compute the average n my former post. If it is used, then the average changes to 99% and Steven result (116%) is even more outlying, and irrelevant. I think we can stop this discussion here.

Other reviews got

power.png

power-1.png

getgraphimg.php

91497.png

loadpower.png

So what you mean to say is that it really does not matter what benchmark tests you do as long as you can show other results the other one is not true ?
Yet you fail to show other benchmarks that did the same test as Techspot did.
Soi no wonder you got different results, good job ;)

Wowsers.... someone needs to run a TTest between the means of all review sites and then lets see some real statistical analysis lol... ok I digress

Wow! I really thought Intel SkylakeX platform would show better results. I can see no real benefit going Intel on HEPC with less pcie lanes, extra charges/dongle(REALLY!) to use Raid with m.2, perf/$ sucks, no ECC memory support, even harder it appears to keep cool (both looks to be very problematic if OC and to keep cool). Then add in future upgrades, it appears TR motherboards will support the next few CPU updates while Intel??? One can build a great 1950x system virtually for the cost of one cpu from Intel :ROFLMAO:. I hope Intel sells just tank to get them to be more price competitive.

All the original points are in the SKL-X thread here

https://hardforum.com/threads/skylake-x-core-i9-lineup-specifications-and-reviews.1933735/

The information is scattered about several pages, but I don't remember what pages contains each point. If you read the whole thread you will find the information. Luckily I wrote on a disquss thread a resume of issues with one of his last reviews:

(i) The guy tested in GPU-bound and frame-limiting settings. That is the reason why overclocking the 7800X by a huge 34% did only bring 3% higher framerates (the performance of the SKL-X CPU was being crippled), and the reason why the OC 1600 is able to caught the 7800X.

When people asked him why overclocking the SKL-X chip didn't bring any relevant performance benefit. The guy tried to excuse himself pretending that was something wrong with the Skylake-X chip

45893e8c2a5ab66d859ec45be8eea8d01fe50cbfc08d6307b54f657fc955182e.png

but the problem wasn't in the SKL-X chip, but on his testing using GPU-bound and frame-limiting settings. That is the reason why overclocking the i7-7700k by 16% did only bring 2% higher framerates (the performance of Kabylake CPU was being crippled as well).

(ii) The guy finally admitted he didn't even test a retail 7800X chip, but he used an ES or a QS (he doesn't seem to grasp the difference between qualification sample and engineering sample)

(iii) If this wasn't enough, he used a motherboard was incompatible with the 7800X

http://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/X299 Taichi/index.asp#BIOS

and he managed to burn the CPU thanks to that

In short, about everything what could be wrong was wrong in their recent reviews. Call it plain incompetence or call it bias. The point is that I don't trust those guys anymore and I better will wait to proper reviews before making my opinion about the new XE model.

HardwareUnboxed is either incompetent or biased. Neither one is good.

I dont get what Steven did wrong except provide information that was too hard for some to digest? I mean these people hate him because he provided data that doesn't agree with these Intel fantatics... Dont bite the messenger. He is only sharing what he found... where did he go wrong? Share it please.

Last edited:
I dont get what Steven did wrong except provide information that was too hard for some to digest? I mean these people hate him because he provided data that doesn't agree with these Intel fantatics... Dont bite the messenger. He is only sharing what he found... where did he go wrong? Share it please.

Intel wins!

The golden rules of course ;)

There are a list in this thread about things he has made wrong in his recent reviews: from using Intel engineering samples to bottlenecking Intel chips during gaming tests. Some things he does wrong are easy to see when taking a look to his reviews. Other things he does wrong are very difficult to get at first. For instance, nowhere in his reviews he stated that he was using a engineering sample for the 7800K. Only latter, in a social net, he shared with us that he wasn't using a retail chip. Another example? Only after visiting AsRock website we know that the mobo Stevens used for the review had compatibility issues with the 7800X, and that those compatibility issues were fixed with BIOS update released by AsRock about one month after Stevens published his review.

I don't care anymore what he has done wrong or what don't. It is a waste of time to scrutinize his reviews and try to get the crucial information he doesn't give. It is much simpler to wait and compare his numbers with others. This is just what I did here, demonstrating that his numbers are much worse than rest of reviews. So, what is the problem with demonstrating that his numbers don't represent the average system? What is the problem with demonstrating that his numbers are among the worse that have been published for the same chip?

Last edited:
So the word to the wise - check out several reviews or just go with a known high quality, standard, integrity site - a.k.a HardOCP and be done with it.

There are a list in this thread about things he has made wrong in his recent reviews: from using Intel engineering samples to bottlenecking Intel chips during gaming tests. Some things he does wrong are easy to see when taking a look to his reviews. Other things he does wrong are very difficult to get at first. For instance, nowhere in his reviews he stated that he was using a engineering sample for the 7800K. Only latter, in a social net, he shared with us that he wasn't using a retail chip. Another example? Only after visiting AsRock website we know that the mobo Stevens used for the review had compatibility issues with the 7800X, and that those compatibility issues were fixed with BIOS update released by AsRock about one month after Stevens published his review.

I don't care anymore what he has done wrong or what don't. It is a waste of time to scrutinize his reviews and try to get the crucial information he doesn't give. It is much simpler to wait and compare his numbers with others. This is just what I did here, demonstrating that his numbers are much worse than rest of reviews. So, what is the problem with demonstrating that his numbers don't represent the average system? What is the problem with demonstrating that his numbers are among the worse that have been published for the same chip?

Well I havent looked nor have the time but what you are saying is that everyone else should have numbers that closely mesh or resemble each other in pattern, but Steven always appears to be an outlier? I am not challenging you, I am simply asking for clarification. He seems to have a nice personality in his videos but even a wolf can wear sheep clothes.

I am curious if any fellow Threadripper owners have any regrets adopting the platform and why, given that the leaks are purporting to show that the I9-7980xe is blistering fast.

I am not claiming to be regretful in anyway. Only starting a public discussion to see what everyone thinks?

I respectfully request that Intel and AMD fanboy's please use regard in your opinions as not everyone will see it as die hard as you concentrate your vitriol towards your opposite sides.

I do not have THREADRIPPER but it makes no sense to spend twice, an extra $1000 as much, for 20-25% more performance and a whole lot higher power consumption. End of story in my humble opinion.

as value point EPYC 1P. Gigabyte motherboard 700 dollars cpu was bit higer. Epyc 7351P

so much value for dollar. :)

dual 10gb SFP+ in board.

I do not have THREADRIPPER but it makes no sense to spend twice, an extra $1000 as much, for 20-25% more performance and a whole lot higher power consumption. End of story in my humble opinion.

(i) Price is not a linear function of performance.

(ii) Not everyone make a purchase decision in base to performance/price ratios. Your purchase of 1800X proves it.

(iii) Why to use only CPU pricing? Some people purchases complete systems. Others got CPU+mobo-RAM combos.

(iv) Is that 20--25% more performance an average on non-gaming, non-AVX workloads? Because I have been the i9-7980XE render images in 3DS max in 42% less time than TR-1950X, I have seen in the Intel Core i9-7980xe thread a game benchmark with the i9 giving 49% more FPS than TR. On AVX workloads the gap is higher

fpumandel.png

(v) The ten reviews given in this thread show that either the 7980XE consumes about the same power than the 1950X or even less. So the 7980XE wins in the performance/power ratio.

(vi) The X299 platform is more complete, faster, and flexible tan the X399 platform.

(i) Price is not a linear function of performance.

(ii) Not everyone make a purchase decision in base to performance/price ratios. Your purchase of 1800X proves it.

(iii) Why to use only CPU pricing? Some people purchases complete systems. Others got CPU+mobo-RAM combos.

(iv) Is that 20--25% more performance an average on non-gaming, non-AVX workloads? Because I have been the i9-7980XE render images in 3DS max in 42% less time than TR-1950X, I have seen in the Intel Core i9-7980xe thread a game benchmark with the i9 giving 49% more FPS than TR. On AVX workloads the gap is higher

fpumandel.png

(v) The ten reviews given in this thread show that either the 7980XE consumes about the same power than the 1950X or even less. So the 7980XE wins in the performance/power ratio.

(vi) The X299 platform is more complete, faster, and flexible tan the X399 platform.

Cherry pick much??? lmao

There is no Earthly way 7980xe is 2x tr performance.

Thats all you do Juranga is constantly justify Intel without regard for reality.

It's difficult to accurately measure total system draw given that Intel and AMD CPU's run very different states and without knowing the throttling. Intel has more states than AMD and run lower base clocks to begin with, if the stress doesn't max out threads the CPU inherently runs less power while TR seems to operate in the higher frequency range.

From what I have seen with internal overclockers is that at 4ghz locked both CPU's chug on a lot of power and heat output, I would not glorify the 7980XE simply because its market is very small given the price to even a Xeon and the performance relative to Xeons is not that impressive either add in multi thousand dollar custom cooling and it is a niche market CPU. At $1000 the TR while also being suited to niche markets is more palatable given the price range. Steve Burke nailed his conclusion on the 7980XE, more suitable alternatives.

Cherry pick much??? lmao

There is no Earthly way 7980xe is 2x tr performance.

Thats all you do Juranga is constantly justify Intel without regard for reality.

I mentioned in my post it was an AVX workload. and I said the performance gap has to be higher than in ordinary x86 workloads. I gave that AVX workload as example of the kind of performance than ordinary reviews aren't measuring when only test Blender, CineBench, Corona,...

7980X being only 2x TR performance and 7900X being only 2x faster than 1800X in that benchmark makes me suspect that AVX workload only uses 256bit vectors, because the performance gap would be higher with 512bit. When 512bit is enabled the 7900x can be about 3.5 times faster than R7 RyZen

intel_sklx_cpu_mm.png

AVX512 is a standard in HPC and servers. I hope it becomes more popular in desktops: renderers, and scientific/financial applications would benefit from wider vectors

http://www.sisoftware.eu/2016/02/24/future-performance-with-avx512-in-sandra-2016-sp1/

It's difficult to accurately measure total system draw given that Intel and AMD CPU's run very different states and without knowing the throttling. Intel has more states than AMD and run lower base clocks to begin with, if the stress doesn't max out threads the CPU inherently runs less power while TR seems to operate in the higher frequency range.

From what I have seen with internal overclockers is that at 4ghz locked both CPU's chug on a lot of power and heat output, I would not glorify the 7980XE simply because its market is very small given the price to even a Xeon and the performance relative to Xeons is not that impressive either add in multi thousand dollar custom cooling and it is a niche market CPU. At $1000 the TR while also being suited to niche markets is more palatable given the price range. Steve Burke nailed his conclusion on the 7980XE, more suitable alternatives.

If one chip has better power consumption policies it consumes less power. So now this is a problem?

I gave above ARS power measurements for i9-7960X @4.1GHz and TR-1950X @3.9GHz. The Intel chip is more efficient. The TR chip hit a wall, but if it could be clocked higher and get Intel clock, then the total power consumption would be about 40W higher than for the Intel patform.

I also gave Kitguru power measurements for i9-7980XE @4.6GHz vs TR-1950X @3.95GHz. The AMD system consumed about the same power 515W, 520W than the i9: 510, 550W. Again if the TR chip could hit 4.6GHz would consume much more power than the i9.

Almost nothing uses AVX512 on the desktop / home user. Maybe one day but likely years from now.

I mentioned in my post it was an AVX workload. and I said the performance gap has to be higher than in ordinary x86 workloads. I gave that AVX workload as example of the kind of performance than ordinary reviews aren't measuring when only test Blender, CineBench, Corona,...

7980X being only 2x TR performance and 7900X being only 2x faster than 1800X in that benchmark makes me suspect that AVX workload only uses 256bit vectors, because the performance gap would be higher with 512bit. When 512bit is enabled the 7900x can be about 3.5 times faster than R7 RyZen

intel_sklx_cpu_mm.png

AVX512 is a standard in HPC and servers. I hope it becomes more popular in desktops: renderers, and scientific/financial applications would benefit from wider vectors

http://www.sisoftware.eu/2016/02/24/future-performance-with-avx512-in-sandra-2016-sp1/

If one chip has better power consumption policies it consumes less power. So now this is a problem?

I gave above ARS power measurements for i9-7960X @4.1GHz and TR-1950X @3.9GHz. The Intel chip is more efficient. The TR chip hit a wall, but if it could be clocked higher and get Intel clock, then the total power consumption would be about 40W higher than for the Intel patform.

I also gave Kitguru power measurements for i9-7980XE @4.6GHz vs TR-1950X @3.95GHz. The AMD system consumed about the same power 515W, 520W than the i9: 510, 550W. Again if the TR chip could hit 4.6GHz would consume much more power than the i9.
BS. You would have to cherry pick the hell out of some sites benchmarks to get TR to pull more than 7980X. AMD has shown to easily use less power in most all sites I have seen. The only sites to show lower usage on their i9 could not accurate speak to throttling.

Back