Anyone playing Uthgard? Classic DAoC freeshard.

Chihlidog

[H]ard|Gawd
Ive gone back to my first true love. Anyone else playing ... or interested in joining?

Yeah ... its old ... but still the best game Ive ever played. And the Uthgard server is right before ToA....the classic DAoC that I loved.

Used to rock an Infiltrator for Albion....

Was about the only PVP I've ever enjoyed in a game.

If leveling wasn't so slow to get to RvR, I would totally play again... I just don't have the time nowadays.

I still remember my first level 50 doing pygmies in Lyonesse.

What realm are you playing?

By the way, DAOC bard and minstrel are the best MMO character classes ever created, and I'm sad that no other games have ever gone this route with class design.

Talk about memories...Almost as good as my Asheron's Call days. I'd jump on this, if I weren't so damn busy with being an adult :(

By the way, DAOC bard and minstrel are the best MMO character classes ever created, and I'm sad that no other games have ever gone this route with class design.

Daoc had some awesome design going on, lots of neat classes and game mechanics like the keep sieges. Skalds were a lot of fun too. I played the shit out of that game (until TOA).

Ahhh memories... I either played an Avalonian or an Elf. Good times indeed, though I admit there's probably a lot of rose-colored-nostalgia.

There are some unique free/custom shards for older MMOs like these which is nice to see. For instance, EverQuest has everything from Project 1999 (replicating EQ during the Velious expansion near exactly) to the amazing Shards of Dalaya (using EQ assets/zones but totally revamping them into something completely new! Its like a whole new game!). Nice to see DAOC has a community as well - for those who don't want to take such a time leveling, I'm guessing there are likely servers that offer instant or speedy leveling modifiers.

For those who enjoy Dark Age of Camelot , Ultima Online, or other classic fantasy MMOs but want something a bit more modern check out the following -

Camelot Unchained - http://camelotunchained.com/v3/ - A sequel/remake of sorts to DAOC by some of its original developers. Currently in pre-alpha testing, which is accessible to those that have pledged for the game.

Crowfall - https://crowfall.com/en/ - Another MMO that brings a unique PVP twist, from some of the developers of "Shadowbane" (a game way, way before its time - it failed mostly due to technical limitations of the time) and partially inspired by it, as well as DAOC, UO, and others. An ambitious project and definitely worth looking into! Also in pre-alpha testing, with all game key pledges granting access to the test builds.

Shroud of the Avatar - https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/ - The spiritual successor to Ultima Online developed by "Lord British" himself (Richard Garriott, creator of the Ultima series etc) , this brings UO-like elements into a 3D environment. TONS of detailed, roleplay centric features for both those who favor PVE and PVP. Has long been in pre-alpha testing with a new major build every month; access is granted to all who have a pledge with a game key.

Chronicles of Elyria - https://chroniclesofelyria.com - An incredibly ambitious MMO project with many, many in depth systems. Not yet in external testing (except for a very limited group), but has a very novel way they're going to build and test additional systems that will actually build the history of the gameworld in the process. I suggest reading into this one!

I have pledges with all of these (and others ) but this should be a start for those looking for a modern take on some old school or lesser known MMO dynamics.

I tried doing that with Asherons Call but with terrible results.

I have tried twice with Eve Online. It's seriously the best game I would never recommend to anyone.

If leveling wasn't so slow to get to RvR, I would totally play again... I just don't have the time nowadays.

I still remember my first level 50 doing pygmies in Lyonesse.

What realm are you playing?

Im playing Alb. Always always always an Alb at heart.

I tried doing that with Asherons Call but with terrible results.

I have tried twice with Eve Online. It's seriously the best game I would never recommend to anyone.

I had a couple of +100m skill point characters back in the day for eve. Every once in a while i think about going back. Its
the only game i ever played that was nearly no hold bar. Where if u get scammed they just laugh at u :)

Daoc had some awesome design going on, lots of neat classes and game mechanics like the keep sieges. Skalds were a lot of fun too. I played the shit out of that game (until TOA).

And this is why Uthgard is awesome. No ToA. Classic hardcore mode. Exactly as I loved it. Im leveling a Pally now and working on my weaponcrafting. I missed it. And theres a good solid community if players. DF changes hands a lot. Plenty of xp groups. It really is like going back in time.

Back