Anyone playing FF XI?

SlimShady

[H]ard|Gawd
im starting to look into an online to grab on to, and while i still have the SWG discs laying around,im still hesitant about jumping back to that, regardless of how cool i think it would be to put some time into that game (esp. with the jump to lightspeed expansion coming out)

i am leaning towards FFXI at the moment, as ive always been a HUGE fan of the RPG series on the various platforms. is anyone recommending FFXI to friends? is it worth the investment? im not concerned about the extra money for extra accounts thing.

I havn't played it, but I've heard from a few people its too slow and a lot of grind. Turn based action.

I play it a bit, used to play a lot. It's a fun game if you have friends that play with you. The game is completely dependant on partying, so if you don't know people that will party with you, you may spend quite a bit of time just sitting and waiting for invites. Are most other MMO's not turn based?

Absolutely do NOT buy this game.

I bought it, played it for about a week in the summer (so I had lots of time) and never made it past level 7 or so. I played as a hume monk, which is supposed to lvl quickly. This game is the MOST boring game I've ever played. I fought outside of the first mob zone ONCE. Seriously, this game takes so freakin long to level, to get even decent equipment, or to craft anything other than rabbit hides. Definitely not worth the money at all. I bought City of Heroes about a month after FF XI and loved it. It doesn't have a crafting element to the game, so take that into consideration if you like to uber-tweak and craft. The forums were great, and making a good build for your hero was a blast. It did take a long time to level, but I enjoyed playing while I was leveling. Partying is almost a must, as well, if you play anything but a scrapper and maybe a blaster. CoH definitely delivered, and has a few months of tweaking under it's belt, so a good deal of the balance issues between classes are sorted out/getting sorted out. But, if you need items in your games, CoH isn't for you.

I would say wait until World of Warcraft, Everquest II, Saga of Ryzome, or the Matrix Online comes out and pick from that crop. I would definitely be most interested in WoW, but I have zero time to play with school + college searching/applying :( that's why I had to kill my CoH account.

But don't ruch in and buy a MMORPG, thinking it will tide you over until these games come out - I did that with FF XI, and I will never get my $50 back. Good thing the first month of service was free.

FFXI doesn't even begin to get fun until around level 18 when you get your sub-job, so unless you have a lot of patience, about 20 hours or so, don't get FFXI. However, I would recommend getting WoW, I played the stress test beta and it was a lot easier to get into then FFXI.

dudewth said:
I play it a bit, used to play a lot. It's a fun game if you have friends that play with you. The game is completely dependant on partying, so if you don't know people that will party with you, you may spend quite a bit of time just sitting and waiting for invites. Are most other MMO's not turn based?

It is? :confused: I'm playing another MMORPG right now and i can't imagine playing a game like it as turnbased. I guess it's to be expected from an FinalFantasy based game. Atleast you won't have to worry about dying when you get a lag spike. Gonna have to look FFXI up later.

I'd recommend getting it, but be warned that you'll get bored of your home city in the beginning. Thats until you can travel around (and get a chocobo to ride). Then the game really picks up and if fun as hell. I was really into it for about 6 months and just had fun. I stopped b/c I wanted to play all the other games out there...

It can be a real drag though when you play with people who don't know what they're doing (even high lvl people). People have an expectation about how to play in parties in this game - which was apparently started by the Japanese since this game was available there first. I'd say its cool to be disciplined in a group like that. Those groups are the best for exp.

Check out Allakhazam.com for forums.

Most MMORPGS are 'not' turn based. Allowing the user to target different enemies and attack in real time, even flee if you want.

Turn based is very very irritating imo.

I used to play it, then grew bored of it. Combat is basically almost the same from level 1 to 75. You just sit around and whack away and occasionally do something. Past level 15 you HAVE TO group to get acceptable xp. Sometimes finding a party is hard, and waiting 2 hours for one (or even more) is possible. You need tons of money to buy good equipment and that is hard to come by (as in it will require many days worth of farming). The Japanese have a mega advantage with camping when camping notorious monsters (the things that drop the good items).

The story is fairly good and there are a ton of quests and missions to do. However, missions usually consist of a party (or two or three) sneaking through an area and doing no fighting until they reach a boss. Also, to do the harder missions (getting your artifact equipment) it's usually very hard to find people to help you because everyone is afraid of dieing and losing xp. The different jobs are pretty good and offer some balance, but usually the more boring the job is the more it is in demand and the less number of people are playing it.

It's an OK game, it just has some major issues that prevent it from being a great game.

I played FFXI for about 10 months. It's not that great of a game once you reach level 50+ That's when you need a WHM,RDM,BLM,PLD, (two damage dealers). If you're not one of the top four you can be sitting at Jeuno for aloooong time for a party. It's easy to get a party when you're a lower level buy when you go over 50 the EXP penality is HUGE. You don't want to take a chance without the top four in your party.

If you want a game you can solo and have fun with your friends, wait for World of Warcarft. I was lucky enough to get in the stress test. I fell in love instantly :p

Sly said:
It is? :confused: I'm playing another MMORPG right now and i can't imagine playing a game like it as turnbased. I guess it's to be expected from an FinalFantasy based game. Atleast you won't have to worry about dying when you get a lag spike. Gonna have to look FFXI up later.
I don't think it's turn based actually. I read it wrong. It's timing based, so if you wanted you could just start attacking something and then just leave.

I played FFXI for about 4 months and really enjoyed it. It did get annoying at times waiting for a party, but I just really love the final fantasy theme. I managed to get a level 40 paladin and enjoyed it.

I played it for a few months and here is what I think.
1) You need a lot of time on your hands.
2) 99% party based. YOu can not get anywhere solo. In the begenning(lv1-10) you can solo, but after that you NEED party otherwise you are not going to level.
3) it is hard to get money, hard as in it takes such a long time. You need money because a lot of the stuff is pretty expensive especially for a couple of jobs(I was a Ranger so if I didn't have money I could not buy ammo (or gain level in craft, againy ou need money) if I had no ammo I could not level)
4) Did I meantion it takes a lot of your time?

Overall it is a fun game. I had good experience with the JPN people most are pretty helpful.
The reason I quit was because it was taking a lot of my time. So if you have free time(4-5 hours average a day) then you should be alright.

Back