Anyone played the original TF?

spintroniX

Gawd
Not the half-life team fortress classic garbage - I mean honest to goodness quake team fortress. This was hands down, imo, the greatest fps of all time. The very epitome of twitch shooter, coupled with some of the most organized clan play I've ever encountered.

Anyone else here have fond memories of QWTF? Would anyone be interested in firing up good ol' quake for some nostalgic action?

Yes I played QWTF back in the day. It was one of the very first multi player games I played. But I will disagree with you, TFC was much better. But I grew up on that game. :) I liked it more than even TF2, but I am older now and don't have as much time to play games as I used to.

TF was definitely, in every way, better than TFC. IMO, also better than TF2. Best twitch shooter ever? Ehhhhh, I'll have to give that one to Rocket Arena 3. Other than that, we're definitely on the same page.

I thought about playing again, I was actually playing some high-res Quake the other day, good stuff :D

I personally never liked the quake games. Everything moved at rocket fast speeds, and I couldn't get used to it because I would just get dominated the whole time.

qw tf was amazing. I had so much fun playing it. TFC and TF2 are totally unworthy of the TF name.

I really miss all the old qw and q2 mods. The FPS we have these days suck.

Last edited:
I played it for years, I was definitely one of the best engineers ever. I dug it out a few years ago and played some games, and one thing was obvious: the poor character animations had NOT aged well :)

I suppose I could be up for another game, how well does GL Quake World work under windows 7 64?

TF was definitely, in every way, better than TFC. IMO, also better than TF2. Best twitch shooter ever? Ehhhhh, I'll have to give that one to Rocket Arena 3. Other than that, we're definitely on the same page.

I thought about playing again, I was actually playing some high-res Quake the other day, good stuff :D

Oh man, I would do anything for another Rocket Arena.
Best times playing Q3 was in that amazing mod.

Things just arent the same these days....

Quake was the ultimate in twitch gaming, I came onto the FPS scene a bit after quake and prefered UT, but I've seen some quake players kicking arse live and it's amazing to watch, these old school gamers have more skill than about 20 of todays gamers, we just dont have unforgiving games like that anymore, the bar is too low, everyone can frag now a days with spam, thats why games like TF2 have crits, so the shit players can enjoy themselves. Back in the day we earnt our fun :p

Sometimes I wish these games would make a comeback, has quakelive grown in popularity yet?

i enjoy quakelive, but haven't played in a while.

Would anyone like to try to get a qwtf server up or something?

also, there is a hl2 mod called fortress forever that is about as close to the original tf as we'll get.

It was released at about the same time as TF2, so last I checked the player base was extremely small.

Oh man, I would do anything for another Rocket Arena.
Best times playing Q3 was in that amazing mod.

Things just arent the same these days....

I totally agree! normal Quake 3 paled in comparison to Rocket Arena IMO.. so damn fun... so many memories...

Rocket Arena was the ultimate level playing field. No powerups, no unlocks, no secrets. Just you, me, and the game.

Damn...What happened? :(

Rocket arena/clan arena is a dumbed down mode made for players new to Quake so they could learn the weapons and movement w/o having to worry about item control, advanced positioning, etc.

Dueling is by far the deepest and most unforgiving mode. Where you actually have to out-think your opponent not just out-aim him (not that aiming doesnt play a big role in dueling). There's a reason why duels,2v2 tdm, and ctf are played in tourneys. While arena and ffa are only popular in pubs. It's simply not a very good test of skill.

And yes, QWTF was by far the best TF. And QW is my favorite Quake (altho VQ3 comes close).

Ya the quake tf was mad fun. Then after that valve was releasing their engine/games, and TFC came out. TFC was pretty damn badass teamplay game too.

also, there is a hl2 mod called fortress forever that is about as close to the original tf as we'll get.

It was released at about the same time as TF2, so last I checked the player base was extremely small.

Fortress forever is more like TFC than TF, but it's still the best recent version of TF.

Quake isn't popular anymore because it doesn't cater to useless noobs... I found RA3 to be the opposite of " a dumbed down mode made for new players "... Nobody new to quake played RA3 lol... Nobody new to quake stood a chance in RA3...

I got sick of having to camp weapons and powerups or spam points in pubs in regular Q3... I was owning players with the machine gun most of the time... how fun... Rocket arena turned that all upside down... No longer did losers camp a rocket and stand motionless spamming others.. To hell with powerups, you have all the weapons, so lets dance! Ohh you lost a 1vs1 railing and rocketing excessively only to die from a few shotgun blasts and the gauntlet... Clan arena was also some of the best FPS gaming I've ever experienced... It basically improved my fps skill tenfold.

I also loved cpma mod, but it wasn't as popular online.

Like I said, arena and ffa are great for pubs because most pubbers have a very wrong idea of how to play duel/tdm/ctf. Camping one item while spamming and you'll get destroyed against any competent player.

RA/CA is fun if you just want to dm. But even in that case I would rather play arenax or amphi or some similar map. It's the same thing but with less bullshit than the team version.

As for CPM, I always felt CPM dueling was like a shitty version of Quakeworld. CPM ctf on the other hand was great. Probably my 2nd favorite Capture The Flag implementation after Starsiege Tribes. Now there's another game that should have never died. :(

They could not have chosen a worse possible time to release that mod.

They could not have chosen a worse possible time to release that mod.

It was a deliberate choice since the FF mod stood for what they disliked in TF2. It was more or less released as an option for those who knew and wanted a modernized version of TFC.

QWTF had a great intro movie too if I remember correctly. I didn't play it much cause at the time I was moderately obsessed with QCTF (the original with the spiky ball grappling hook deal).

Last edited:
evidently there are still a few servers around... perhaps I'll hunt up my copy and install it for some lpb soldiering.

quakelive is the next best thing, at the moment. I'll get fortress forever and see if anyone still plays that... but I doubt it :(

I played it a few times...It was fun but I could not really get into it. TFC was the game I played most of my free time through high school. Patched to death and stupid community turned me off to it. Fond memories though. Love TF2 and it is what I play most now.

tf2 is fun, but it doesn't take nearly as much skill to play. Lack of grenades, concussion jumping, bunny hopping, the sluggish pace .... I enjoy playing TF2, but it's simply not the same

You remember correctly (and so does Youtube).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FVJ__rBFxk&feature=related

In 1997 (first year of college), a buddy of mine showed me that intro, and I just had to try the mod. I've been hooked on FPS ever since :)

I'll dig the game up and see if my ancient copy still works.

I love the intro from about :45 to :55 - classic.

I know a lot of people are sad that TF2 isn't what QWTF was, but I'm happy that if anyone was going to buy them out at least it was Valve.

Back