Anyone play GRID PC?

jamesrb

[H]ard|Gawd
Is it just me or is this too hard? I am not a racing expert or anything, but on Basic difficulty I finish so far behind that I can't even see the second to last place car.

On other games like GT4 or Dirt 2, I can at least win the beginner races and place in the middle on some harder races. Playing with a G27.

Is it just me or is this too hard? I am not a racing expert or anything, but on Basic difficulty I finish so far behind that I can't even see the second to last place car.

On other games like GT4 or Dirt 2, I can at least win the beginner races and place in the middle on some harder races. Playing with a G27.

No, it is. The controls are too wacky. The other cars cut corners at like 200mph but you try to even tap to the right or left over 60mph and your car spins out of control.

I have to admit that I never had any issues playing - I used to play it on my 360 pad or my Logitech Momo, but I haven't played it in ages. I really enjoyed that game, even though a lot of people were bothered it's not 'sim' enough.

Yes, one of my favorite racing games.

Controls are not wacky, you just don't know how to drive. :p Seriously once you learn how to drift in the game and how to corner it's easy as pie. I'm in first place every match, with 600k points at least in Drift Matches.

Oh and cockpit view in Eyefinity is absolutely amazing!

I actually found the wheel gave somewhat of an unfair advantage when set up properly, moreso than in other games. I always got the impression that this game rewards excessive steering angle—some turns you can just make the thing work by cranking hard on the wheel, taking corners much faster than what I could do with a 360 controller and its limited range (caused by speed/slip sensitive input code). It can be ridiculous sometimes, like taking the Ford chicanes at Le Mans at over 200mph, something I found impossible with the controller.

I play fine with my Logitech Dual Action controller. Though the real bitch of an issue with the game is the support the pc version receives (or have not received) from its developer.

I beat it while playing on a keyboard a cuople years back, just got a G25 and a DFGT went to play it with the wheel, and it just feels wrong. DIRT2 feels great with a wheel, and so does NFS SHIFT (with overhaul mod)

I always play on hard and it's not that difficult, in my opinion. I play with my 360 controller.

I bought GRID, but did not play much at all...

Looked great but very weird handling...

I can't say it was too arcade or too SIM... well OK, yeah too damned arcadey

Anyhoo... I have a Logitech MOMO wheel and pedals on a Playseat.

If you are into other racing games too - join the rest of us here:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1536323

I found it very easy with my Fanatec GT 3 RS but I had to tweak the settings quite a bit. I don´t rate myself a driver ace or anything though I have quite a bit of experience with mainly more serious racing sims. The handling is odd and very arcady so if you are used to sims and try to drive based on real physics you will have a hard time being competitive!

Some series are harder then others but if you just hang with it I think you will find it get quite easy in the end. I had the benefit of knowing just about all of the real world tracks. Even if they aren´t accurate by any means it helps a lot preparing to take the next corner accurately.

As for controls try to limit the steering angle. Experiment down to 70 degrees and see where you land. GRID is more optimized for gamepads then wheels thus you benefit from such low steering angles for more direct steering.

DIRT 2 was a huge step up like GRID was from DIRT so I do feel Codemasters are on the right track at least!

Yep great game, I've got about 60% of the game complete.

I tried playing GRID with a keyboard and hated it, also tried playing it with a G25 and it was just as bad if not worse. The game is really designed for a controller.

I bought GRID, but did not play much at all...

Looked great but very weird handling...

I can't say it was too arcade or too SIM... well OK, yeah too damned arcadey

I agree. Overall I didn't get much enjoyment out of GRID before throwing in the towel, but I prefer my tarmac racers to be either "sim" or "arcade", I'm not a huge fan of this "arcade pretending to be a sim" genre that has popped up with GRID and NFS SHIFT.

I tried playing GRID with a keyboard and hated it, also tried playing it with a G25 and it was just as bad if not worse. The game is really designed for a controller.

I agree. Overall I didn't get much enjoyment out of GRID before throwing in the towel, but I prefer my tarmac racers to be either "sim" or "arcade", I'm not a huge fan of this "arcade pretending to be a sim" genre that has popped up with GRID and NFS SHIFT.

yep, GRID was almost good. Just really didnt bridge the sim/arcade link quite right. Never could get my wheels to work well with it, and never felt at ease with a 360 controller either. Plus the online was riddled with 1st corner wreckers. Ruined the fun.

I'm not a huge fan of this "arcade pretending to be a sim" genre that has popped up with GRID and NFS SHIFT.

I'm the opposite, I actually love that genre and wish that there were more games in it! If it were not for those types of games I would've never bought Race 07, GTR 2, GT Legends, Grand Prix Legends, etc. So for me the semi-sim genre made it easier to move on to real sims.

I do remember it taking a while to get the wheel setup right in both Dirt and GRID, but like others have said, Dirt 2 works great so I look forward to F1 2010 and Dirt 3.

Every time I try install it I get major graphics issues. Something to do with anti-aliasing or something that just brings the menus to a crawl to the point where it takes 30 minutes just to revert them back to their default settings. I never took the time to figure it out because I had already beat it on my 360 (unfortunately).

GRID is not pretending to be sim...

DIRT 2 perhaps but what is wrong with predictable physics... It make the game easier for most people. It took quite some time before I realized how to be fast in GRID. Particularly with the weird WTCC physics.
DIRT I could never get into at all!

Need for speed Shift perhaps but with mods it´s actually quite simmy :)

Graphic issues can pretty much all be solved by installing the current drivers for your video card. Make sure you disconnect from the internet, then remove the drivers via the control panel, restart the computer, then run driver sweeper and ccleaner, restart again, and then install the new drivers. After that you can connect the internet again.

Sounds weird, but it really works. Ever since I started installing drivers like this (someone gave the tip on the Nvidia 3D Vision forums) I have never had any issues.

GRID is not pretending to be sim...

DIRT 2 perhaps but what is wrong with predictable physics... It make the game easier for most people. It took quite some time before I realized how to be fast in GRID. Particularly with the weird WTCC physics.
DIRT I could never get into at all!

Need for speed Shift perhaps but with mods it´s actually quite simmy :)

If GRID isn't pretending to be a sim then its just a really bad arcade game :p But whatever, you say pot-ate-o I say pot-at-o. Regardless of what they were trying to achieve I didn't like how the game handled, cars felt floaty and unatural.

I've tried a few mods for NFS shift and none of them made it feel simmy to me. Like GRID the game just felt strange and unatural (though in a different way).

I played both GRID and shift for a couple of hours before giving up on it and accepting I would never like the games.

I tried installing mods for Shift as well with terrible luck, but that was 4 months ago, and since then I have finished it and moved on to other games (Race On bundle, GTR 2). However, I was at nogripracing and noticed that after all this time, they have still been working on those same mods for Shift, and it looks like they finally took a bunch of different mods and combined them so that now you can get it all in a one step process. I haven't tried it yet, as I have moved on from Shift, but I might give it a shot one day when I'm bored.

I won my first race last night. Here is what I found:

1. It appears the races before you get enough money to buy your first car (where you are racing for other teams) are way harder than the races you unlock when you buy your first car.
2. Even though I copied the controls from DIRT 2, GRID has different defaults for the steering deadzones and force feedback. I changed these to exactly match DIRT 2 and it felt better.
3. I turned off steering assist, which helped reduce the oversteer (mentioned earlier in this thread by someone).
4. Stop using the brake, and only use the e-brake. This was also mentioned earlier in the thread as well. Drifting around these corners appears to be required. The brake pedal is useless in this game.

The AI is still brutal though. They are constantly putting me into a wall or t-boning me while I am going around a corner. For some reason, at the end of the race the other cars appear to be in flaweless condition, while mine is missing major body parts.

I won my first race last night. Here is what I found:

1. It appears the races before you get enough money to buy your first car (where you are racing for other teams) are way harder than the races you unlock when you buy your first car.

Sounds like the Gran Turismo games: earning your licenses is the only challenging part...

Back