Anyone planning on getting Age of Conan?

UO wasn't really based on gear until recently... with all the Diablo 2 type attributes showing up... dammit now I'm talking about UO again..

Wierd when i went out to preorder my copy of AoC the cashier said "xbox or pc?"

I dunno why but im thinking this game is going to need a game pad to play. I hope this doesnt leak out to xbox... i wanna keep it pc only :D

The game is coming to both, pc and xbox 360. The pc version will be released first though.

The only massive challenge for me, is figuring out how to get the client without waiting a week for it to ship from north america. :S

If I buy a euro version I'll probably be confined to euro servers, dumb considering my online gaming buddies are all from north america. :(

WTB Torrent Distribution, offering h0t cyb0r? :p

or something.

Otherwise I'm quite looking forward to playing this game, could be really good, or it could be total shit, we'll see.

hey, its true. sadly theres not much of a middle ground with MMOs.

I know...it still made me laugh...

Aaight, my 2 cents:

It seems that AOC could be cool because they tried for a more mature MMORPG, with more blood, less cartoonish graphics, and supposedly a new/better combat system.
However, lots of MMOs were really promising in the past during development, and they ended up being lame.

On another note, I am kinda feeling the same way about WAR, since it seems to be a newer, heavily PVP oriented, WOW clone.

As my friend above posted earlier, only time will tell...

Have a friend who's in the beta, and says it's a big pile of arse, he's going back to WoW until Warhammer is out.

From what he's told me they've more or less completely botched all the beta stress tests, now he's in the main beta and isn't impressed.

thats really bad to hear but its still a "he said she said".

I kinda want my 5 dollars back from gamestop.

i've never EVER played a mmo type game but im interested has to why these types of games are soo popular. what is so good about mmo's? i will take a pass on wow has the graphics look worse then many ps2 games but this looks interesting

i've never EVER played a mmo type game but im interested has to why these types of games are soo popular. what is so good about mmo's? i will take a pass on wow has the graphics look worse then many ps2 games but this looks interesting

Generally for most people it's their "first" mmo that's popular to them, because it's the first experience they have in a game with a world that is persistant and populated by many other people playing the game.

However after playing for a while you will start to burn out and some people will realize just how boring mmo's are in general and how formulaic they have became with most offering nothing new over another besides a new setting/skin.

Have a friend who's in the beta, and says it's a big pile of arse, he's going back to WoW until Warhammer is out.

From what he's told me they've more or less completely botched all the beta stress tests, now he's in the main beta and isn't impressed.

That's odd. I have a couple of buddies in the AoC beta as well as a few in the Warhammer beta. The guys that were (are) in the Warhammer beta said it is a steaming pile of poo and doesn't look like its going to get any better.

AoC on the other hand is apparently looking in good shape but they have a lot of bugs to squash. Supposedly they are putting out 1-2GB patches every 1-2 weeks o.0

i see. i just dont quit understand all this talk about people comparing wow for example to crack ie addictive and hard to quit. is it because you have to pay monthly and is forced to play the game to make good use of your money?

Yeah, at some point MMOs stop being about the game and more about playing with people you've been playing with for ages. I don't understand these people who join these "hardcore" guilds and its more like a job. Or they constantly change guilds, etc. Bleh.

AC wins if only for the gigantic world, full of exploration options and great loot system that none of the other MMOs have/had.

Warhammer might be good if they don't keep the zerg oriented RvR they put into DAoC (frontiers ftl.)

It seems that AOC could be cool because they tried for a more mature MMORPG, with more blood, less cartoonish graphics, and supposedly a new/better combat system.

I have high hopes for AoC, however that combat system might be the worst thing ever for PVP. Just watching recent gameplay vids and comparing that to the fast paced PVP in WoW makes me cry :(

i see. i just dont quit understand all this talk about people comparing wow for example to crack ie addictive and hard to quit. is it because you have to pay monthly and is forced to play the game to make good use of your money?

The thing that gets a lot of people "addicted" mainly is the "gear" hunt.

Basically in the end many mmorpg's are a huge hunt for better gear/items (armour and weapons, which basically make your character).

However to get the top tier "best" items it takes a ton of grinding and random drops, you have to spend countless hours grinding out a raid/quest/monster to get a random % chance for the item to drop or such.

This leads to many people getting obsessed with wanting these items and doing the above until they get it.

I've long realized though that it's useless, it's nothing more then a "Carrot on a stick" routine to easily get people to pay more money to focus on nothing but a virtual item.

This is why most mmo expansions simply add lv's and advertise even new "better/uber" equipment to go after, that's the entire focus of many mmo's.

The thing that gets a lot of people "addicted" mainly is the "gear" hunt.

Basically in the end many mmorpg's are a huge hunt for better gear/items (armour and weapons, which basically make your character).

However to get the top tier "best" items it takes a ton of grinding and random drops, you have to spend countless hours grinding out a raid/quest/monster to get a random % chance for the item to drop or such.

This leads to many people getting obsessed with wanting these items and doing the above until they get it.

I've long realized though that it's useless, it's nothing more then a "Carrot on a stick" routine to easily get people to pay more money to focus on nothing but a virtual item.

This is why most mmo expansions simply add lv's and advertise even new "better/uber" equipment to go after, that's the entire focus of many mmo's.

You, sir, win a prize for realizing what most mmo's really are.

I hope AoC is different, but it seems that "raids" and "gear" pay the bills for developers :(

It's sad, my friends and I invited my roommate to come out and hang with us last night. His response: "I can't; my guild does the <whatthefuckever> raid on tuesday nights."

pathetic

That's odd. I have a couple of buddies in the AoC beta as well as a few in the Warhammer beta. The guys that were (are) in the Warhammer beta said it is a steaming pile of poo and doesn't look like its going to get any better.

AoC on the other hand is apparently looking in good shape but they have a lot of bugs to squash. Supposedly they are putting out 1-2GB patches every 1-2 weeks o.0

The AoC team have no idea about logistics, they put out a 4.7gb patch about 12 hours before one of the stress tests and clearly didn't have enough bandwidth to serve up that much data and most people couldn't join, others have been way over subscribed and beta testers couldn't get in. Apparantly the roll out of the full beta isn't a great deal better.

I don't know how Warhammer is shaping up, I just think it sounds good from the podcasts and what I've read, i've not actually seen much in game stuff, but the RvR and different types of quests really look good, it sounds like they've fixed a lot of the rubbish you get in WoW.

I'm tempted to give this game a shot, although I haven't been able to keep up with a MMORPG these days so I will probably wait a while. Also Anarchy Online was a mess at launch, so I would like to give Funcom at least 6 months to get things ironed out before trying their new baby.

If anything I'll resurrect my LOTR account, that game was fun and polished but I never had much time to dedicate to it.

The AoC team have no idea about logistics, they put out a 4.7gb patch about 12 hours before one of the stress tests and clearly didn't have enough bandwidth to serve up that much data and most people couldn't join, others have been way over subscribed and beta testers couldn't get in. Apparantly the roll out of the full beta isn't a great deal better.

I don't know how Warhammer is shaping up, I just think it sounds good from the podcasts and what I've read, i've not actually seen much in game stuff, but the RvR and different types of quests really look good, it sounds like they've fixed a lot of the rubbish you get in WoW.

I would expect logistics problems during a beta....dunno if that's a good expectation to have, but still one I would have.

FYI Warhammer online got pushed back AGAIN to fall-ish. I love all the podcasts, this is very disappointing.:(

the way I see it, AoC is coming out first, we can test it until warhammer, if it sucks, then there is warhammer to try, if its good, maybe not. Who knows, I'll probably try both of them and pick a favourite.

Just pre ordered @gamestop. Got a cool art book with it too. I had to ask for it specifically. The salesperson had no clue and it took him forever to find it. I hear the stores get a limited number of the books fyi.

God I hate NDAs, I could spill the beans but I won't.

I haven't played AoC and just started to follow it but on paper, it seems like the better game. I love PvP so as soon as AoC has a trial period I will check it out, hopefully I can get into a beta soon.

Most likely what I'll be doing too...:)

I think I will be as well, in light of the recent Warhammer Online delay and more reports from the beta.

Anyone have some info on if the Border Kingdoms will be in on release? Also, I heard something about May 1st for a Fileplanet beta, is this true? I'm into PVP... but would play on a normal server, not a FFA PVP one... so Border Kingdoms would be my PVP area... I'm hoping it will be a lot like Dark Age of Camelot, anyone know if this is the case? Where can I read back up on where PVP will be allowed in normal servers?

I haven't followed AoC steadily for awhile.

The border kingdoms are pvp'able areas on the normal servers.

There are also supposed to be PVP-battlegrounds type of things to do if you wish (CTF sort of things and such).

I've been trying to get into the WAR beta for almost 1 year. I keep entering their screenshot submittals contest, nothing yet.

I will be playing AoC.

I have the CE preordered.

Most likely go with the standard barbarian as my first toon.

Looks to be a great game but time will tell.

C'mon May 20th!!!

I'm in the beta right now, can't say much because of the NDA.

how would they find out if u spilled the beans? if i knew you face to face u would have no problem teling me everying about this game has its impssible for them to find out

In War the border kingdoms are race specific right? At least thats what I remember from watching the video on IGN. Lost total interest after that.

In War the border kingdoms are race specific right? At least thats what I remember from watching the video on IGN. Lost total interest after that.

In WAR? No, they are just pairings, you can travel to the other ones freely.

In WAR I'm pretty sure it's Race versus race, in terms of your enemies/allies.

In AOC it's FFA, anyone can be an enemy or ally.

In WAR I'm pretty sure it's Race versus race, in terms of your enemies/allies.

In AOC it's FFA, anyone can be an enemy or ally.

In WAR it is side vs. side, each containing three races.

In AOC it is FFA other than your own guild, in the Border Kingdoms area. On a PVP server, it's open game other than your guild everywhere but cities.

Back