Anyone place their order for the Samsung Flip 3 or Fold 3 yet?

dvsman

2[H]4U
I just talked to my corporate phone guy this afternoon and he said pre-orders were open now.
Flip 3 comes in 128gb or 256gb = $400/500 through corporate (IIRC, not 100% sure)
Fold 3 comes in up to 512gb (can't remember the lower options) = $1150 through corporate
but the interesting thing is he said I could use Samsung trade in on top of that and there was another $100 bonus discount on top of that.

My Samsung S20FE 5G I got for $50 bucks last year is worth $200 on trade in (Hopefully! At least that's what the Samsung website says).

So all in I (or anyone with corporate or government AT&T account) should be able to get it for pretty cheap relative to the crazy MSRP.

Flip 256gb for $500 - 200 - 100 = $200 for the 256gb.
Fold 512gb for $1150 - 200 - 100 = $850 for the 512gb

Personally I really dig the flip - nice ans small - but since none of these new phones have SD card slots, you're stuck with whatever storage / you can get (not including anything cloud based).

Yea not at all. Folding phones will go the way of 3D tv’s imo. Gimmicky at best at least imo. But I’m glad to see new tech, and to see new people get excited about it. That’s how we get new products.

I'm really considering pulling the trigger on one of the two. Kind of hard to justify the Fold but the Flip is a bargain if it can get decent reception with such a small size. Reminds of the old Star Tacs I used to have way back in the day.

I did for the Fold 3. Went through Best Buy to AT&T. Best Buy selling them for $400 off. So for me 512GB model, for $1499 with the $400 off. Then $1000 trade in for a old S9 phone that I got off Swappa for $120. It'll only be like $12 per month for 36 months which is nothing for that phone. I can pay it off anytime if I want to sell it and get that money back easily.

Yea not at all. Folding phones will go the way of 3D tv’s imo. Gimmicky at best at least imo. But I’m glad to see new tech, and to see new people get excited about it. That’s how we get new products.
I don't see that happening. When you can put a tablet / phone in your pocket by folding it, many like that idea.

I'm on a Note 8 and am itching to upgrade. I placed my pre order on the first day, super excited about this phone. The s pen support, under display camera, and 120hz screens makes me feel I won't miss out on much waiting for future phones. My only concern might be the narrow outer display but we'll have to see.

Now is also the best time to order, thanks to all the pre-order bonuses. My total ended up being pretty cheap with my work discounts and cash back opportunities.

Breakdown:

• Galaxy Fold 3 512GB $1121.98 (employee discount + trade in)
    • Trade In Galaxy Note 10: -$575 (Bought the phone off Swappa for $300 so really -$275)
    • That brings the real total to $1121.98+$300
  • Galaxy Fold Cover with S pen $0
  • 35W Power Adapter $0
  • Galaxy Buds2 $80 (I expect to sell this for at least $100 profit)
  • Spotify 3 months (useful as I am a spotify user, hope it works with family plan)
  • Youtube Premium 4 months
  • 20x WoWpoints (essentially 20% I can redeem in gift cards)
  • $100 discount after calling Samsung about the lack of 12 months of Samsung Care in my order (an offer given to those who 'RSVP'd but wasn't available on my work account.)
All in all it with tax, a cover and s pen, 35w charger, 4 months of youtube premium, maybe 3 months of spotify, purchase of a phone for the express use of trading it in, selling the galaxy buds, the $100 refund credit, it cost me ~$1362 for the phone and then on the $1160 subtotal I get 20x Wowpoints which is about $225 in gift cards so actually it cost around ~$1137 or so

$1130 for a phone is still pretty expensive but that's also the going rate now for entry level flagships unfortunately. Much better than the $1799 retail price

Last edited:
I'm on a Note 8 and am itching to upgrade. I placed my pre order on the first day, super excited about this phone. The s pen support, under display camera, and 120hz screens makes me feel I won't miss out on much waiting for future phones. My only concern might be the narrow outer display but we'll have to see.

Now is also the best time to order, thanks to all the pre-order bonuses. My total ended up being pretty cheap with my work discounts and cash back opportunities.

Breakdown:

• Galaxy Fold 3 512GB $1121.98 (employee discount + trade in)
    • Trade In Galaxy Note 10: -$575 (Bought the phone off Swappa for $300 so really -$275)
    • That brings the real total to $1121.98+$300
  • Galaxy Fold Cover with S pen $0
  • 35W Power Adapter $0
  • Galaxy Buds2 $80 (I expect to sell this for at least $100 profit)
  • Spotify 3 months (useful as I am a spotify user, hope it works with family plan)
  • Youtube Premium 4 months
  • 20x WoWpoints (essentially 20% I can redeem in gift cards)
  • $100 discount after calling Samsung about the lack of 12 months of Samsung Care in my order (an offer given to those who 'RSVP'd but wasn't available on my work account.)
All in all it with tax, a cover and s pen, 35w charger, 4 months of youtube premium, maybe 3 months of spotify, purchase of a phone for the express use of trading it in, selling the galaxy buds, the $100 refund credit, it cost me ~$1362 for the phone and then on the $1160 subtotal I get 20x Wowpoints which is about $225 in gift cards so actually it cost around ~$1137 or so

$1130 for a phone is still pretty expensive but that's also the going rate now for entry level flagships unfortunately. Much better than the $1799 retail price
The outside display has me worried too as I would think I'd be using it to respond to text more often than inside. Will see if I get use to it if not, maybe a show stopper. I don't want to open it up every time I need to type a text or email.

I don't see that happening. When you can put a tablet / phone in your pocket by folding it, many like that idea.
The idea has been around for a while, and not successful at all. And there are reasons this design has failed from multiple companies. No one saw 3D tv’s failing either. Well I did, and some people did. Just opinions. But if you like it that’s great!

Last edited:
Can't say I like it yet till I get it, but I like the concept. Should have it Friday.

I've been on the Note series for 10 years - I have the big Note 10 right now.

The folding phones look fussy to me and I don't see a use case and since there is no new Note this year, not sure what to do - I'm attracted to novelty but I'm old enough to recognize what is likely to work for me or not.

Looking at the Sony Xperia (headphone jack would be nice!) and would consider the Asus phone too - mostly just want a fat battery and good performance and storage on T-Mobile (formerly Sprint)...

I go to the beach enough that I don't want to have to worry about getting sand and stuff in the hinges of these phones and ruining them. I also like to dock my phones on my bike and car and these foldables look too thick and heavy for that, on top of looking and feeling like a brick in your pocket. The Fold 3 looks to have mediocre battery life as well. So I'd much rather have a normal form factor phone over these at the moment. It's really sad that Samsung is killing the Note line over this as well since they're much more practical still IMO, esp. with their integrated S-Pen, rather than it seeming like an afterthought on the Fold 3 and S21 Ultra.

I decided to cancel my order. Just not a fan of the Fold 3 and its quirks for that amount of money. They could have given it better cameras, and include the pen. Also, a little wider outside screen would have been nice with better battery life. I'll just continue waiting til Samsung makes something appealing that is better than a Note 20 Ultra.

Mine is arriving Wednesday and I can't wait for it to arrive, I've been constantly checking the tracking...

I don't really care about the cameras tbh, I'm happy with my Note 8 cameras. I think it's been over a month since I last jotted down a note too on my phone.. still I will give the s-pen case a shot because the pen is surely convenient when I do use it (though rare)

I'm posting this message using the Fold 3. So far it's great. I need recommendations on a good case.

My phone arrived last night, this thing is awesome!

I'm using the s pen case. I thought I would hate it but it turns out that you can use the flap as a kickstand, and also makes a decent handle while using the phone.

My phone arrived last night, this thing is awesome!

I'm using the s pen case. I thought I would hate it but it turns out that you can use the flap as a kickstand, and also makes a decent handle while using the phone.

Does that case come with an S-Pen or do you have to buy it separately?

I've had the Fold 3 for a couple days now, I've been moving over my data and apps and things like message history.

Biggest issue so far is that cases are almost impossible to find so it's staying home until my UAG case gets here Wednesday.

That said, it's way, way, way better than I thought it would be. It's easy to hold and the big screen is fantastic for browsing the web, youtube, twitter, etc.

The skinny smaller screen is skinny and small but adequate for phone things. The keyboard on that screen is challenging for my big fingers - the keyboard on the big screen is split and I feel like the keys could be just a little bigger - lots of wasted space in the middle.

So far, I like it and I was really skeptical.

I ordered a 256GB Fold 3 straight from Samsung. Supposed to ship on the 28th. Trading in my N20U and a Tab S6 that I haven't turned on in nearly a year to bring the price down to $8xx. Not great, not bad.

Spigen has a new case that's dropping at the end of the month so I went ahead and preordered it on Amazon. Holds the S-Pen in a not weird spot.
Spigen Thin Fit P Designed for Galaxy Z Fold 3 5G Case (2021) - Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0995WPCXJ/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_FFSGRT1WM5EPJ52QHR89

SmartSelect_20210914-191149_Amazon Shopping.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back