Anyone out there with a PPU try the GRAW demo?

MrNasty said:
OK - I just FRAPSed the difference:
Settings:
1280x1024
All set to maximum within program (didn't use high texture hack) except for texture filtering left at AF4x
16:9 ratio

With PhysX

High: 54
Average: 36.613
Low: 15

Without PhysX

High: 53
Average: 37.305
Low: 22

This was from the start of the mission to zokolov plaza - using the same weapons and path.

No demo recording in the demo so this will have to do...

The lows were much choppier with than without but were only present intermittently.

How do you do the high texture hack?

Are there any other graphic hacks for the demo?

MrNasty said:
The lows were much choppier with than without but were only present intermittently.

Yes, and usually when it's actually using physics right?

Sly said:
Yes, and usually when it's actually using physics right?

Actually, no - surprisingly :s

Usually they happened about 5 seconds or so into an out and out gunfight - the same slowdown is there in the non PhysX version, just less...

There's nothing graphically noticeable that happens - AI maybe?

The bullet effects with PhysX do bring the framerate down a lot, but I don't really notice it that much and it's a pretty short drop...

nobi: go into your GR demo install directory and go to \data\settings\renderer_settings.xml and edit it so that all the textures are set to high - works a charm but imo doesn't improve the look of the game too much... It's still muddy and dull :(

whata waist of mone now days, maybe in 2007 we may see some use, just nothing right now, WAY to early, o ya btw the screens look like, may i dare say, CRAP (with ppu on), looks like paper fliying around, i like it without ppu better

When I first played it, I didn’t notice any difference. Turns out that is because I had the 2.4.0 drivers installed from months ago. The 2.4.0 driver only came with the 2.4.0, 2.3.2, and 2.3.1 engines. It wouldn’t let me install 2.3.3 over 2.4.0, but I checked the AGEIA site and 2.4.2 is out now, which has 2.3.1, 2.3.2, 2.3.3, 2.4.0, 2.4.1, and 2.4.2.

I noticed the same thing others have said about how the game chugs a few seconds after a fire-fight begins. It seems to be because the bad guy’s bullets are flying by me, hitting the walls all around me, sending what looks like marbles flying all around me and all over the ground. Lame… they really need to get rid of the obnoxious debris crap. I mean you shoot a wall and a bunch of evenly sized pellets that aren’t even the same color as the wall spit out? What’s with that? I’m reluctant to blame the hardware; I’d like it if they just patched away the obnoxiousness.

GotNoRice said:
When I first played it, I didn’t notice any difference. Turns out that is because I had the 2.4.0 drivers installed from months ago. The 2.4.0 driver only came with the 2.4.0, 2.3.2, and 2.3.1 engines. It wouldn’t let me install 2.3.3 over 2.4.0, but I checked the AGEIA site and 2.4.2 is out now, which has 2.3.1, 2.3.2, 2.3.3, 2.4.0, 2.4.1, and 2.4.2.

I noticed the same thing others have said about how the game chugs a few seconds after a fire-fight begins. It seems to be because the bad guy’s bullets are flying by me, hitting the walls all around me, sending what looks like marbles flying all around me and all over the ground. Lame… they really need to get rid of the obnoxious debris crap. I mean you shoot a wall and a bunch of evenly sized pellets that aren’t even the same color as the wall spit out? What’s with that? I’m reluctant to blame the hardware; I’d like it if they just patched away the obnoxiousness.

LOL. I know what you mean. I saw the screenies and it looks not like a couple of bullets hitting a wall but a grenade. But with every new tech you get overzealous programmers wanting to show it off just for the hell of it.

Skirrow said:
LOL. I know what you mean. I saw the screenies and it looks not like a couple of bullets hitting a wall but a grenade. But with every new tech you get overzealous programmers wanting to show it off just for the hell of it.
And this is what you will be able to expect from the first generation of games that focus on physics. You'll shoot a wall with a bullet and think a 2,000 lb bomb hit it due to all the debris flying around. Games will offer tons of boxes and other crap that will fly around in an unrealistic manner to show off how "awesome" physics is.

dotK said:
And this is what you will be able to expect from the first generation of games that focus on physics. You'll shoot a wall with a bullet and think a 2,000 lb bomb hit it due to all the debris flying around. Games will offer tons of boxes and other crap that will fly around in an unrealistic manner to show off how "awesome" physics is.

One solution would be to implement a "physics Lever" in Game-options.
Like with sound, and graphics.

Terra- But I guess that would be to simple solution ;)

so those little black dots and a 25% fps drop are worth $250

sweet, im going to go pick on up RIGHT NOW

Big Fat Duck said:
so those little black dots and a 25% fps drop are worth $250

sweet, im going to go pick on up RIGHT NOW

I am not going to buy GRAW based on the demo.
But it got nothing to do with the PhysX.
More that the games feel like a bad consol port, cammo is history and I think the game simply sucks...

Terra - Time to dig up the orginal "Ghost Recon"..and enjoy a GOOD game ;)

whiteboy said:
the only tom clancy product i bought was for
*TADA*
xbox

GRAW on the Xbox dosn't change the fact that this game is a dud :p

Terra...

Why is this game so much worse than the other ghost recon games? Is it because they are trying to appeal more to the console demographic? Why do companies still do this? Why not design it for PC first then simplify it down for consoles second. Seems a better thing to do than release a simple turdy game to appeal to console fans and totally screw over the PC segment.

Then again when I see how poorly games like SWAT 4 have sold and how there is barely anyone online maybe the IQ of the average PC gamer has just gone way down.

peacetilence said:
Why is this game so much worse than the other ghost recon games? Is it because they are trying to appeal more to the console demographic? Why do companies still do this? Why not design it for PC first then simplify it down for consoles second. Seems a better thing to do than release a simple turdy game to appeal to console fans and totally screw over the PC segment.

Then again when I see how poorly games like SWAT 4 have sold and how there is barely anyone online maybe the IQ of the average PC gamer has just gone way down.

Because there's more money to be made in the console arena.

The game will work fine on everyone's Xbox 360.

More people are able to buy a 360 than a high end computer (less money and know-how).

Piracy is less of an issue and is harder to do on a console.

Making high end PC games is becoming somewhat of a waste of time for these companies.

The game is not as bad as people say it is, I for one found it pretty damn awesome and I'm one of those people who is sick of all games in general because they're all the same and that feeling of awe like when everyone first fired up HL in 1998/1999 just never comes anymore. But I was what, like 14 back then and with age comes the "been there done that" feeling with just about everything. [/end emo rant]:(

This game gave me the feeling of being in the Black Hawk Down movie, and when the music started blasting during the first big firefight, I got so pumped up that I was in awe. Why don't more games do this?

Sounds are the best I've heard in any game so far. The ambient background noise is so realistic(on extreme sound detail), you hear dogs barking and sirens blasting... I was impressed.

Real time satellite survaillence is the greatest thing ever. If you fail to use it you might miss that enemy hiding out high on the roof and once you walk by BAM you are dead. But with the satellite, you see the guy there before he sees you, you throw the grenade and watch his body tumble over the ledge. :)

jaguax said:
The game is not as bad as people say it is, I for one found it pretty damn awesome and I'm one of those people who is sick of all games in general because they're all the same and that feeling of awe like when everyone first fired up HL in 1998/1999 just never comes anymore. But I was what, like 14 back then and with age comes the "been there done that" feeling with just about everything. [/end emo rant]

This game gave me the feeling of being in the Black Hawk Down movie, and when the music started blasting during the first big firefight, I got so pumped up that I was in awe. Why don't more games do this?

Sounds are the best I've heard in any game so far. The ambient background noise is so realistic(on extreme sound detail), you hear dogs barking and sirens blasting... I was impressed.

Real time satellite survaillence is the greatest thing ever. If you fail to use it you might miss that enemy hiding out high on the roof and once you walk by BAM you are dead. But with the satellite, you see the guy there before he sees you, you throw the grenade and watch his body tumble over the ledge.

I'm 31 and can tell you the first "Gost Recon" was a much better game.
This is nothing more that a lame consol-port, but I guess you are right in the "target-group"...
Try the first "Ghost Recon"...
You can HIDE via cammo...use all the stuff military traning teaches you.
GRAW..well...
Stupid consol port! :mad:

Hell, try sniping a car from the front on the windshield.
And then fire again, same direction.
Woooot?
What was that...the first sniper bullet only took out the front windshield...and you can cry while the second round take about the rear-window of the car :(
Sniper bullet that break on impact with glass...
What a freaking joke!
Keep that shit on the console please...don't polute my PC with that shit...

Not to mention you can snipe enemies just by a close miss, their lame movements ect...

Terra - They won't get a penny from me...game-wreckers! :(

I still believe that 250-300 bucks is over the top for this. Those effects can be put into the game w/o a PPU.

You do know that the PC port of GRAW was built from the ground up and isn't a port of the 360 version.

Earthworm48 said:
You do know that the PC port of GRAW was built from the ground up and isn't a port of the 360 version.

How can a "PC port" be buildt from the ground up? :p :D

Terra...

i think he stumbled in his explanation..

AFAIK.. the pc VERSION ;) was done by a completely different team.. ill leave it up to you to resource it. :D

Jason711 said:
i think he stumbled in his explanation..

AFAIK.. the pc VERSION ;) was done by a completely different team.. ill leave it up to you to resource it. :D

So there are no simmilarities in the lack of real physics?
The Xbox version dons't have the same "bulletproof" windows or the same lackluster gameplay? :)

Terra...

I haven't actually played the game so I don't know whether or not it is just a bad console port. I was only curious as to why people thought it sucked. I notice a trend that 90% of the big titles are just ports of their console bretheren and they usually such much more than one would think possible.

Terra said:
So there are no simmilarities in the lack of real physics?
The Xbox version dons't have the same "bulletproof" windows or the same lackluster gameplay? :)

Terra...

Ironically in the xb360 version bullets go through glass - it uses the multi-threaded xb 360 version of ageia and looks great...

GRAW PC = sloppy coding. :(

MrNasty said:
Ironically in the xb360 version bullets go through glass - it uses the multi-threaded xb 360 version of ageia and looks great...

GRAW PC = sloppy coding. :(

so that means us pc guys are missing out instead of the other way around

Gun_Strife said:
so that means us pc guys are missing out instead of the other way around

I would say the demographics of consol and PC gamers are a bit different.
Hell even the control are very different.
What i don't like is to see more consol-like games on the PC.
If I wanted that I would buy a consol.

Terra - Game-developers, please remember that!

Terra said:
RTS?
A none native english speaking Dane here :p

Terra...

aw what i do :eek: i still havent finished downloading the clips but really wana see
although they said not too impressive for graw but cellfactor impressive

Gun_Strife said:
aw what i do :eek: i still havent finished downloading the clips but really wana see
although they said not too impressive for graw but cellfactor impressive

You explain what RTS stands for? :p

Terra - 78% af first video downloaded :)

Terra said:
You explain what RTS stands for? :p

Terra - 78% af first video downloaded :)

lol u ass u splain it u already hurt me :(
its my b day be nice and send me pp
im dl slow only 98

Gun_Strife said:
lol u ass u splain it u already hurt me
its my b day be nice and send me pp
im dl slow only 98

What?
I am sorry if I have offended you but, but I don't know what you meant by"rts"? :)
I live in Denmark, born here, and english is not my native tounge :)
No "punking" here, just an honest question?

Happy birthday then :D

Got the first vids down(GRAW), looks more to me like it's effects physics not gameplay physics...bummer :(

Terra - 14% on the cell Factor now...

Got the Cell Factor video down..now THAT's what I am talking about! :D
When he shots' that banner...wooohoo!!!
Frames seem to be low(11-25FPS) but the FPS dosn's really seem directly linked to the PPU usage from what I can tell...they where that low even before he started pushing things around.
But even the low FPS didn't seem to make the game as laggy as you would fear...

Terra - And it seems Fileshack died now...no last video for me :(

/Offtopic

RTS stands for Real Time Strategy. Like the Age of Empires or Starcraft games.

jebo_4jc said:
/Offtopic

RTS stands for Real Time Strategy. Like the Age of Empires or Starcraft games.

Ah....thx ;)

Terra - *kicks fileshack's sever"

lol sorry i thought u were playing and calling me a dane hehe :D but yes real time strategy
but no u did not offend i was playing too
I was out to my b day dinner and just got back so im gonna play em now :eek:

LMAO. This page is one of the funniest things ive read in a while. Gun_Strife... your reaction was great :cool:

lol glad ur enjoying it viper
anyways i finally watched the clips and first off cellfactor looks great
but as far as graw goes there is no point for the card in it
one of my favorite things in games is hearing the shells hit the ground and then being able to go back and look at all of em on the floor, and when stuff blows up and the little pieces fly everywhere and land on the ground and stay there unlike in graw

whereas in cellfactor if you blow something up the pieces fly up and then stay on the ground, so it seems, so tell me is the shell casing and particles on ground all do to physics

Back