Anyone on a S939 system planning on upgrading to the 4870?

Anyone on a S939 system planning on upgrading to the 4870?

• Yes

Votes: 16 28.6%
  • No

Votes: 25 44.6%
  • Maybe

Votes: 15 26.8%

• Total voters

xBanzai89

Supreme [H]ardness
Anyone on a S939 system planning on upgrading to the 4870? I'm just curious if anyone is or not.

I just got an 8800gts a couple days ago. I'm never gonna spend more than $150 for a vid card ever again; I once blew $200 for a 6600gt agp.

So, I doubt a 4870 will ever meet my s939 mobo, butcha never know...

I think the card I'm using now is bottlenecked by my CPU so chances are no.

I'll likely get a 4850/70 next build

if u have a S939 u need to first upgrade your CPU !!! :p

I'm probably going to Crossfire a pair of 4870s, but I'll but putting in a new motherboard and CPU too, my S939 board and chip are going to start collecting dust soon enough.

seeing as s939 systems arent even fast enough to max out g92 cards i dont see much reason to get anything more expensive...

no, I just got a 8800GTX. no point in getting anything more then that. but the 939 will do all right for a while, if AMD will get their head out of there ass and produce a good CPU

My S939 system is going to be retired when I upgrade next. If AMD is able to have something price/performance competitive with nVidia then I will stick with them othewise those Nehalems are looking very sexy.

Bottlenecked or not, I'm due for an upgrade on the GPU. I voted maybe though depending on the pricing of the cards and how well it'll compare to the Nvidia offerings. So still waiting to see how everything pans out over the next few weeks - which gives me enough time to gather my funds together. :D

Believe it or not, some of us don't care about Crysis..:rolleyes:
Like it or not, that's where video game engines are going on the PC - and that's if they go anywhere, and we don't keep getting stuck with ports from the 360 and the PS3. Games that come after Crysis will be more demanding, not less, though I admit it would be nice if performance scaling was smooth enough that people with low-end cards could play it well at decent resolutions but with a tradeoff in image quality.

Don't get me wrong - if you're happy gaming at low and medium resolutions with some eye candy disabled, then sure, sub-$150 video cards are great for you. But for those with larger monitors and higher standards, there is a value in more expensive cards.

you know people keep saying that but look at steam. and I still remember the statement about how piracy was killing crysis. sorry but even my old AMD computer will be viable for a while. If I really want the high end sure but until then these 200 dollar cards are great (my 200 dollar card is an 8800GTX).

I'm upgrading my s939 system.

Firstoff, I have an old g80 8800gts 320mb, and I bought a new 24in monitor that runs at 1920x1200.

Second, I have an Opty 165 that's pulling almost 3Ghz. It benches really close to a e6700, so overall with the memory performance and all that stuff, it ends up being not that much slower per clock than Core 2. 3.0Ghz Opty 165 is about a 2.4-2.6Ghz core 2 duo. I have TCCD chips on my ram and all that stuff too, so it runs much better than any plain old s939 system.

Considering I'm running at such high resolution, and the 8800GTS is choking no matter how much OC love I get it, I see the 4870 being a good investment for me. Plus, when K10.5 comes out, I plan on upgrading to that, and keeping the 4870. It's a lot easier to upgrade slowly like that than it is to just barge out and buy 2000 dollars worth of computer stuff. At least for me, it is.

If you have a s939 system and your CPUs over 2.6Ghz, is it really going to bottle neck that much? Specially at higher resolutions?

I don't think so.

It's more likely to be a 4850 than a 4870. This is for my 2nd pc (HTPC).

If you have a s939 system and your CPUs over 2.6Ghz, is it really going to bottle neck that much? Specially at higher resolutions?

I don't think so.

I upgraded my s939 [email protected] from an X1900XTX to an HD 3870. While I paid less for the HD 3870 than the X1900XTX and the HD 3870 did play games a little better, I can honestly say that it was only a marginal improvement over the X1900XTX. Only when I paired the HD 3870 with AM2 cpu ( 4600+ ) did it show and more significant improvement over the X1900XTX. When I bumped that AM2 cpu to a 6400+, the HD 3870 really impressed me with it's performance.

IMHO, I think that you'll gain SOME performance increase with a 4870, but you'll be bottelnecking it with a s939. A faster cpu would help the 4870 reach It's true potential.

I upgraded my s939 [email protected] from an X1900XTX to an HD 3870. While I paid less for the HD 3870 than the X1900XTX and the HD 3870 did play games a little better, I can honestly say that it was only a marginal improvement over the X1900XTX. Only when I paired the HD 3870 with AM2 cpu ( 4600+ ) did it show and more significant improvement over the X1900XTX. When I bumped that AM2 cpu to a 6400+, the HD 3870 really impressed me with it's performance.

IMHO, I think that you'll gain SOME performance increase with a 4870, but you'll be bottelnecking it with a s939. A faster cpu would help the 4870 reach It's true potential.

What resolution do you play on?

I'm upgrading my s939 system.

Firstoff, I have an old g80 8800gts 320mb, and I bought a new 24in monitor that runs at 1920x1200.

Second, I have an Opty 165 that's pulling almost 3Ghz. It benches really close to a e6700, so overall with the memory performance and all that stuff, it ends up being not that much slower per clock than Core 2. 3.0Ghz Opty 165 is about a 2.4-2.6Ghz core 2 duo. I have TCCD chips on my ram and all that stuff too, so it runs much better than any plain old s939 system.

Considering I'm running at such high resolution, and the 8800GTS is choking no matter how much OC love I get it, I see the 4870 being a good investment for me. Plus, when K10.5 comes out, I plan on upgrading to that, and keeping the 4870. It's a lot easier to upgrade slowly like that than it is to just barge out and buy 2000 dollars worth of computer stuff. At least for me, it is.

I don't think so.
agreed 100%. while many people w/ older 939 equipment wont see much advantage going from a 939-era GFX card, anyone who plays at higher rezzes, like 1680x1050 and up, gets increasingly more benefit from a better GFX card. the higher the rez, the less your CPU matters. upgrading a 3700+ single core w/ 1GB RAM and x1900 to a 4870/GTX280 might not be the best idea...but a faster/OCed FX- or Opteron dual-core w/ 2+ GBs ram and 22-24" LCD should see a nice, noticeable boost in performance. plus, it's not like you cant put the card in a future upgraded mobo...

Any system with that combination will be a massive bottleneck in itself, at least if you are planning on gaming.

Any system with that combination will be a massive bottleneck in itself, at least if you are planning on gaming.

While that may be true to unleash the full potential of the card, it may not be essential for everyone who is on a budget and can only upgrade components piece by piece. ;)

At least for me, it's either I upgrade my graphics card or completely switch platforms with a new motherboard, RAM, and CPU - not both at the same time. Considering that I find my overall PC usage to be more then sufficient with my current platform (plus I'm waiting on Nehalem anyways for my next overhaul - figuring that it's better to be completely amazed rather then only be amused at this point :D), it would make sense to switch the GPU which could also be moved into the new platform as well. This is also because with only 256MB on my X1950XT it forces me to compromise graphical settings in a lot of games and is one of the primary reasons why I experience stuttering while playing at my native resolution of 1680x1050.

So while 939 based systems may not be the golden haven of PC gaming for everyone (especially those that crave to be on the bleeding edge), I think a graphics upgrade of any kind will be a worthwhile for me and others like me. :cool:

me Toledo 4200+ @ 2.7 Ghz is a bottleneck for my 9600gt.. i see no difference in FPS between my old 6800 and the 9600GT, i bought the 9600gt, used it for 3 days , take it back out place it back in the box and just put it in the closet ...

i will have to upgrade my system.. probably get an e8400 oc it to like a nice stable 3.6 ghz or so..and then we will talk about videocards...

these newer cards don't get a shit from an old s939 system... so don't waste your money on getting a 48xx card if you still run a s939 system

Hmmm, that's an odd experience, Vict0r. I've yet to try my card on any CPU-intensive games, though. I kinda doubt I own any.

I went from a 7600gt to an 8800gts 640 recently and, in America's Army,

1. Went from playing at 1280x1024 to 16x10
2. pushed some settings up
3. experienced a vast FPS improvement. avg 34 previously, avg 58 currently (I have vsync on, 60 max).

Nope. When I do my upgrade in the fall I'll get a Core2Quad. With the way prices are you might as well spring for a new mobo/CPU/RAM as well, there's no point in beating a dead horse. If I felt like doing a video card upgrade in the meantime I might get a 9600GT, my local computer store has them for $120 after $30 rebate, or a 3850/512 for $139 - without rebate. Those prices will come down as well when ATI releases their new cards.

me Toledo 4200+ @ 2.7 Ghz is a bottleneck for my 9600gt.. i see no difference in FPS between my old 6800 and the 9600GT, i bought the 9600gt, used it for 3 days , take it back out place it back in the box and just put it in the closet ...

i will have to upgrade my system.. probably get an e8400 oc it to like a nice stable 3.6 ghz or so..and then we will talk about videocards...

these newer cards don't get a shit from an old s939 system... so don't waste your money on getting a 48xx card if you still run a s939 system

What resolution are you playing on? Surely you are able to turn up many graphical settings with the newer card seeing as how it is at least 3 generations newer and at the very least can play Shader 3.0 games much more easily then the 6800.

Nope. When I do my upgrade in the fall I'll get a Core2Quad. With the way prices are you might as well spring for a new mobo/CPU/RAM as well, there's no point in beating a dead horse. If I felt like doing a video card upgrade in the meantime I might get a 9600GT, my local computer store has them for $120 after $30 rebate, or a 3850/512 for $139 - without rebate. Those prices will come down as well when ATI releases their new cards.

While I agree about the pricing of the 775 platform, I don't see the point in buying stop gap solutions like the 9600GT in the wake of solutions that are better priced unless your native resolution is low to begin with.

While I agree about the pricing of the 775 platform, I don't see the point in buying stop gap solutions like the 9600GT in the wake of solutions that are better priced unless your native resolution is low to begin with.

1280x1024 on this 19" LCD. When I do my upgrade I'll be getting a 24", but keep this PC intact to have a decent 2nd PC around, so a better graphics card may not be a terrible idea - if it's cheap enough. This monitor still works fine so perhaps I'll use it as a 2nd monitor on the new system and share with the old one.

Are you sure you didn't notice a difference? That sounds far fetch because when I had a 7900 GT w/ my 4200 I upgraded to SLI. My frame rates went up by at least 60%. Then I upgraded to 8800 GTS 512 and only saw a 10%-20% increase over all.

I'm a S939'er running an FX-57 2.8GHz, 4GB RAM, X1800XT 512MB, 24" display running games at 1920x1200. I'm considering upgrading to a 4870X2 when it comes out this August. The way I see it, I'm sure I'll bottleneck, but since all of the games I play are from prior to 2004 then I shouldnt have much problems. If anything, my current hardware can still run all games that come out for a few more years, even if not at the highest graphical settings. Setting a minimum requirement for hardware higher than what I've got right now would be retarted, not good for sales. I dont want to have to upgrade my entire computer, I'm comfortable with a single core CPU and my S939 motherboard for now. When I bought this computer 3 years ago, it was hot shit, and to me it still is. I'm glad to see my fellow S939'ers upgrading, because while I may be an idiot for not getting with the times at least I'm not the only idiot, and that's all I care about.

Don't get me wrong - if you're happy gaming at low and medium resolutions with some eye candy disabled, then sure, sub-$150 video cards are great for you. But for those with larger monitors and higher standards, there is a value in more expensive cards.

That higher standards comment has bothered me to no end since I read this thread. If our pocketbooks don't allow for vid cards that cost $600 and require major system upgrades, does that mean that our standards are lower?

I'm glad to see my fellow S939'ers upgrading, because while I may be an idiot for not getting with the times at least I'm not the only idiot, and that's all I care about.

You're not an idiot. 939 <3 all around. :)

That higher standards comment has bothered me to no end since I read this thread. If our pocketbooks don't allow for vid cards that cost $600 and require major system upgrades, does that mean that our standards are lower?

I think it's more like different people have different standards. Those that value performance no matter what the cost see things very differently from those of us that value a better ratio of price to performance. If anything, the latter group has just as high standards with the exception of an extra variable thrown into the equation. In the end, it's all about getting as much of a positive gaming experience as you can realistically afford and appreciate. :)

I think it's more like different people have different standards. Those that value performance no matter what the cost see things very differently from those of us that value a better ratio of price to performance. If anything, the latter group has just as high standards with the exception of an extra variable thrown into the equation. In the end, it's all about getting as much of a positive gaming experience as you can realistically afford and appreciate. :)

I agree with you. That's kinda how I've always felt. Its like at a lan party when the guy shows up with the newest rig and the biggest monitor and everyone comes and stands around him for a little while to "ooo and ahhh" and ask him questions about his rigs specs. Then he fires up crysis or oblivion and realizes no one else is playing it and starts playing the games that are played at every lan - CS, CS:S, BF2, etc. And we all know the system requirements for those older games.

nehalem dual core + hd4870x2 = insane cs:s, cod4, crysis rap3ge.
Well at least that's the planned rig in 6 months.

i went from a 7800gt to an 8800gts512 on:
[email protected]
2gigs 3200
A8N-SLi Deluxe.

i saw no performance gains below 1600x1200. Stil have the system. I get the feeling that if I invested in an e7200+P35+4gigs ddr2 800 I would see a massive performance gain.

I went from a 6600 (4 pipeline version) to 8800GTX on my 4400+ (no OC right now) and I have seen a massive improvement. I went from running bioshock at 800 x 600 with no eye candy to 1280 by 1024 with all the eye candy turned on.In fact play it again actually gave me motion sickness. So there is a very good point in upgrading your video card.

Keeping an Athlon 64 FX-55 @ 3.00 GHz (Clawhammer... none of this fancy San Diego stuff) and 2 GB's of TCCD, I swapped out an old MSI K8N Neo-2 Platinum and BFG GeForce 6800 Ultra (AGP) for an Asus A8N-SLI & BFG GeForce 8800 GTX.

There was a big difference. :) As in, I'm able to game at 1920x1200.

Crysis be damned - I could care less. Take Crysis out of the equation, and this FX-55 is still viable for the majority of gaming tasks on a 24" LCD.

Back