Anyone oc'ing i7 2600k's on the gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 Z68?

Aaron_ATX

[H]ard|Gawd
Well after flogging my E6850 rig for the last 3 years I finally decided to step up to some new shiny parts and build myself a new box from the ground up.

$1300 later and santa newegg will be dropping this on my doorstep this week:

Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz
GIGABYTE GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s
EVGA 02G-P3-1568-KR GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 2GB 256-bit GDDR5
CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650M 650W ATX12V v2.31 / EPS12V
Corsair Force Series 3 CSSD-F120GB3A-BK 2.5" 120GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive this will be the first SSD drive i've played with
8 Gigs of Patriot DDR3 1600
...even splurged and got a new Lan-Li case ~ the PC-B25F. Damn they make nice cases.

Anyway, I poked around on the web for a few hours before deciding on the gigabyte board (and the price was right) and haven't really seen many overclocks with that particular combo. I was VERY pleased with my last few gigabyte intel builds, so I figured i'd give them a whirl again.

Seems like the i7 k editions are clocking to around 4.2 ~ 4.5 on air and I read a few posts that claim closer to 5ghz is possible on air with that chip. Is 4.5 a reasonable goal? I built a first gen i5 for a friend about 2 years ago, and a newer i5 k edition about a year ago, but didnt really do much overclocking on those chips.

Just kinda looking for some folks who have had a little hands on time with this board ~ what do you think about it?

I have the UD3H-B3 board. Not sure what the difference is. I am running mine currently at 4.7GHz. It will run at 4.5 just fine with only a multiplier change.. not all chips are equal.
To get to 4.7, I have to start upping the offset voltage (was 0.075, now 0.08) but it is stable enough to Fold for 24 hours. Passes 20 runs of IBT 4GB.
Get a HSF for it. you will need it to keep the temps down. Stock sink is fine for up to 3.7, at 4.2 temps are in the 80s (This is with a HAF case so plenty of case air flow)I had mine running at 4.8 for a short time but it started rebooting while folding (only had 1.4V through it so the voltage would have had to go up a bit) but after that 4.7 wasn't stable. After letting it sit powered off for a day, getting the beta BIOS and upping the offset to 0.08, it seems to be back on track. I did have it in windows at 5.0 but would lock up instantly when I loaded the cores.. You usually need to get around 1.48 to 1.5V area for 5.0. Not really worth it for the power consumption and heat and risk of damage with that high of voltage. I am keeping mine 1.35V or lower at load.

As for the board, I would Update the BIOS when you get it. I have already done 2 updates on mine. Currently running a beta f11f. There is a F11 for your board. (Easy to update, download the BIOS from the site, extract it to a USB stick, hit END on boot up and select your stick)

Oh.. hook up the SATA to the Intel headers, not the Marvel.

Quick update on my setup ~ running stable at 4.5ghz on about 1.30vcore. Havent pushed it much harder than that yet, but my initial opinion of this board is thumbs up. No problems at all with it so far.

Back