Anyone near Erie, Colorado? Mining servers!

Someone spent a lot of time and money on that gear. In its heyday, each of those racks would've been excellent.

I wish mining would make come back so I have an excuse to do a project like this. Would love to experiment with a quiet mining rig with the radiator outdoors.

i used to live right near there. I also used to be heavy into mining so at the right time i would have jumped on those in a instant. heck I still have a few full boxes of Firepro s9000's and some phi servers lying around

i used to live right near there. I also used to be heavy into mining so at the right time i would have jumped on those in a instant. heck I still have a few full boxes of Firepro s9000's and some phi servers lying around
When the time was right, those would've sold for multiples of the current asking price.

If the cards are functional you're looking at an easy fast sell at $175-$200 per card including the water block. Plus all the other stuff I can see making a couple grand in profit pretty easily.

If the cards are functional you're looking at an easy fast sell at $175-$200 per card including the water block. Plus all the other stuff I can see making a couple grand in profit pretty easily.

When I disassembled my rigs and sold the cards - many here - I was comfortable representing the condition and health of every card. I wouldn't feel comfortable doing that with these.

When the time was right, those would've sold for multiples of the current asking price.

true. when the time was right and all consumer cards were selling for new prices or more I sold all the concumer cards I had and made a decent profit even after mining on most of them for over a year. I only ended up picking up the firepros as I was able to buy crates of them from china for very cheap. even they were making decent profit at one point but they use abunch of power (my s10000 rigs used nearly 2500w each :p ). I got lucky with the phi gear as I was able to buy a palette of barebone servers from a electronic recycler. Those things dominated monero back when it was on the old algo and messed up the network hash of some smaller alts I threw them on.

When I disassembled my rigs and sold the cards - many here - I was comfortable representing the condition and health of every card. I wouldn't feel comfortable doing that with these.

is there any evidence that mining causes any sort of long term damage to cards? I've seen mostly just arguing. I've mined a bit a couple of years go but never 24/7 and I never had issues. I'm interested in your thoughts being that it seems you were more serious about it.

is there any evidence that mining causes any sort of long term damage to cards? I've seen mostly just arguing. I've mined a bit but never 24/7 and I never had issues.
Cards that weren't kept cool and clean with clean power and proper clocks and voltages - and were operated for 24/7 for literal years? I wouldn't wager on expected longevity.

By all appearance, these cards weren't mistreated. But you never know. Except, of course, for my cards. Then I knew, and could make proper disclosure and representation.

is there any evidence that mining causes any sort of long term damage to cards? I've seen mostly just arguing. I've mined a bit a couple of years go but never 24/7 and I never had issues. I'm interested in your thoughts being that it seems you were more serious about it.

gpus are pretty dang hard to kill. I have yet to kill a card from mining and have ran some way hotter then reasonable. I would find it hard to belive a gpu under water would have thermal issues but they may have been severly overvolted if they had the thermal overhead from water to get a extreme overclock on them. I cant see any other reason to bother throwing waterblocks on mining cards

If I still lived in CO, I might jump on that. Little bit of a drive for me now.

I live in Black Hawk CO and my servises can be avail. No interest in any gear unless you got current gen ryzen or i9.

I live in Black Hawk CO and my servises can be avail. No interest in any gear unless you got current gen ryzen or i9.
Don't tempt me, Scobar. My wife would not approve of this venture, and doing something this sketchy off the books is probably divorce territory. :)

If the price was right I'd love a Phi server to add to the [H] DC team when the big events happen.

Except, of course, for my cards. Then I knew, and could make proper disclosure and representation.

I can vouch 100% for Joust, I'm running 2 RX580's from him currently and aside from the plastic wrap you wouldn't have been able to tell they weren't brand new.

That said I bought a mined on 280x after the first mining crash that didn't last a year on stock clocks before it went to artifacting, upped the voltage which limped it along another couple months but that was it. How the card was treated makes a HUGE part of it. I was skeptical as hell about buying any mined on cards after that experience, but I took the chance with Joust after seeing how well he represented the card, and the first one was so nice I bought another.

Reactions: Joust
like this
If the price was right I'd love a Phi server to add to the [H] DC team when the big events happen.

I can vouch 100% for Joust, I'm running 2 RX580's from him currently and aside from the plastic wrap you wouldn't have been able to tell they weren't brand new.

That said I bought a mined on 280x after the first mining crash that didn't last a year on stock clocks before it went to artifacting, upped the voltage which limped it along another couple months but that was it. How the card was treated makes a HUGE part of it. I was skeptical as hell about buying any mined on cards after that experience, but I took the chance with Joust after seeing how well he represented the card, and the first one was so nice I bought another.

I had a few people interested in DC work on these servers. Unfortunately I was never able to get it up and running on Linux for folding and the servers aren't too happy under windows

I had a few people interested in DC work on these servers. Unfortunately I was never able to get it up and running on Linux for folding and the servers aren't too happy under windows

Aww bummer. Those would be the perfect DC machine if it could get running.

Don't tempt me, Scobar. My wife would not approve of this venture, and doing something this sketchy off the books is probably divorce territory. :)

Sure. I told my wife I would not mod my truck. We are on supercharger #2, all chrome is gone, and much, much, OMG much more. Just exhaust until I found what I liked was near 3k.

Yeah, how it is as treated makes a difference. I always undervolted all my cards to keep them cool and lower the electric costs. People who overclock and run them hot are the ones that don't have much life left. Of courses bad luck can ways be a factor. :)

Back