Anyone modded an MCP300 to fit a res?

eXacto

Gawd
I've been trying to come up with a good way to mod my Swifty MCP300 pump so that a reservoir is attatched to it. I would like to get rid of the front inlet port because that's where all of the leak problems people have been having come from. I would like to attatch some kind of res directly on to this open hole without the aluminum tubing connector on there.

So you don't want a connection to the inlet on the pump, instead you want a connection to the resevoir which then flows around the pump.. and the pump sucks up the water and circulates it? Sorta like what I have right now (been working on the for the past month.. just working out filling problems.. pics to come soon).

I think you could possibly mod a dual 5-1/4 bay-res to have the pump entirely enclosed in it...but you might have vibration issues unless you find the exact grade of neoprene for damping. You would also have to get very creative with splitting the inlet/outlet plane.

Hard work, but it could look VERY clean when it's done :)

mustang_steve said:
I think you could possibly mod a dual 5-1/4 bay-res to have the pump entirely enclosed in it...but you might have vibration issues unless you find the exact grade of neoprene for damping. You would also have to get very creative with splitting the inlet/outlet plane.

Hard work, but it could look VERY clean when it's done :)

I don't want to submerge the pump because that adds too much heat to the water.

hmm well what kind of res then? I'm sure you can attatch somthing...but I'm thinking it will require some hard PVC pipe to go into the pump, and to theread the outside of the other end to clamp inside the res with a nut.

As you can probably tell from this picture, once I take that aluminum intake piece off, there is not much room left to attatch anything on to. But the only way I'll feel safe using this pump is if I don't have to use the front piece, because there have been so many incidents of it leaking. Along with that, attaching the res directly to the inlet without the restriction of the aluminum piece is supposed to increase efficiency of the pump.

I tried to find a PVC or black pipe (forgot the exact name) piece that would fit over what little plastic sticks out from the front, but they were all either too small or too large. I'm thinking I might just have to build a plexiglass res around the inlet, but the hardest part will be getting a good seal, along with a way to securely attach the res to the pump.

mcp300.jpg

zer0signal667 said:
Is the impeller still going to be retained without that front cover in place?

Yes, I've seen people do the same type of mod with other brand pumps. I also tried running the pump submerged without the inlet and the impeller stayed in place.

I see one problem with that ...pressure loss

see right now the outer impeller has walls on all 3 sides, the joining side having the outlet in a small place. If you remove one wall, wouldn't that reduce your pressure a bit?

How about just machining the aluminum piece a bit? I know everyone says it leaks...but I think that's from being too vigorous with inserting tubing into those fittings on it.

mustang_steve said:
I see one problem with that ...pressure loss

see right now the outer impeller has walls on all 3 sides, the joining side having the outlet in a small place. If you remove one wall, wouldn't that reduce your pressure a bit?

How about just machining the aluminum piece a bit? I know everyone says it leaks...but I think that's from being too vigorous with inserting tubing into those fittings on it.

eh?

read this page: http://www.procooling.com/articles/html/maximizing_flow_rates_with_h2o1.php

ah, cool..now I know.

Hmm, well I guess if you want, you could always look for some pipe from us plastics.

On that note..that could be a nice experiment of my own for when I go to an external pump/rad setup later in the year.

I'm going to go shop around at the hardware stores today to try and find some kind of pipe or piece of anything that will work. If I can't figure out anything today I'm just gonna give up on this idea for the pump because it's taking wayyyy to much time and I hate the loudness of air cooling :)

You could still just take some pvc pipe that fits into the metal fitting and then have it go into a quick connect going into your res...that is if you decide to use the metal inlet after all. If you look at the swiftech kits, tehy have much of this pipe in their early fill/bleed kits.

Ya, if I can't figure out how to mount a res onto the pump itself I may just settle for using the aluminum intake, and mounting something on there, as long as I seal it up real well with goop.

ah, if you jsut use the pvc pipeing I'm talking about, you won't even have to seal it. Or you can just use a small amount of tubing, which will hold even better. Those quick connects are rather reliable...but sometimes a bit aggravating as well.

Just make sure you have NO air bubbles in that pump...I had some air in my loop that killed my tiny swiftech pump. They may work nicely, but they arent very tough.

Back