Anyone mod their X-Fi like this?

Its some tought soldering involved, not easy to desolder that kind of stuff or solder such small connections.

Other thing is, what are you outputting to? Unless you have higher end audiophile headphones or speakers you will not notice a difference...

This guy's conclusion is a little misleading:
The result is truly a night & day comparison with the original X-Fi. Be proud that you now have a studio-quality sound card for the price of a consumer one!
Swapping the OPAMP isn't going to present a truly dramatic, Earth-shattering difference. It may be better, even appreciably better, but you can guess as to what kind of improvement you'll receive from swapping a $3 chip to a $6 chip. It'll probably be worth the $6, but don't get your expectations too high.

If you're getting popping, this isn't your fix. More than likely all you'll be left with slightly better sounding popping (if that interests you).

This guy's conclusion is a little misleading:

Swapping the OPAMP isn't going to present a truly dramatic, Earth-shattering difference. It may be better, even appreciably better, but you can guess as to what kind of improvement you'll receive from swapping a $3 chip to a $6 chip. It'll probably be worth the $6, but don't get your expectations too high.

If you're getting popping, this isn't your fix. More than likely all you'll be left with slightly better sounding popping (if that interests you).
I haven't heard the "popping" in a while. I think it was either an IRQ problem or a heat-related issue (which I fixed).

I haven't heard the "popping" in a while. I think it was either an IRQ problem or a heat-related issue (which I fixed).

The popping has also been found to be a driver issue...mine ONLY pops in BF2 and BF2142 during the Artillery/Orbital Strikes. Everytime gauranteed to cause popping and static.

But in everything else it is just fine....online in the forums they pretty much came down to that it is a driver issue, not hardware, for most of the cases.

My problems first started way back with Call of Duty 2. That game was the worst at it.

Back