anyone looking to jump into sandy bridge next week?

Imitation

2[H]4U
With all the early previews of motherboards and whatnot, anyone gearing up to build a sandy bridge box for folding? I've thought about upgrading my C2Q but I just can't justify it right now. I think i've decided to wait until I can move to a hex core box that doesn't cost me an arm and a leg just for the cpu. I'd assume anyone looking to build a new quad intel box for folding would want to wait for sandy bridge rather than going for a 920/930/950 at this point?

I guess you could say I'm trolling for future sandy bridge pr0n posts :)

I have to wait to see what my bonus is going to look like. If its a great one then maybe.

I'll wait until at least the fall (October timeframe) before making a move...There should be a new batch of boards released around that time and there'll have been plenty of time to refine BIOSs and things like that.

Depends entirely on the price point to get a high end chip and overclocking board. I am not convinced that socket 1155 is the way to go for high-end gear. The numbers I have seen look decent, but nothing earth-shattering.

Is there not enough threads in the Intel forum? Anyway there are quite a few folders looking at SB (as evidenced when Kyle asked for input on the release review, every 5th post mentioned folding).

I am very keen but there is one problem though, Intel has delayed their next gen SSD's and I don't want to put a new computer together and then mess around with the drives only a couple of months later. I don't mind waiting a few months (but the upgrade itch is strong).

With all the early previews of motherboards and whatnot, anyone gearing up to build a sandy bridge box for folding? I've thought about upgrading my C2Q but I just can't justify it right now. I think i've decided to wait until I can move to a hex core box that doesn't cost me an arm and a leg just for the cpu. I'd assume anyone looking to build a new quad intel box for folding would want to wait for sandy bridge rather than going for a 920/930/950 at this point?

I guess you could say I'm trolling for future sandy bridge pr0n posts :)

For folding I've been told that its gonna be miles better than anything we have seen both performance and power consumption, if that tells you anything.

Of course, If you are a normal user who doesn't do DC and already have a 1366 or 1156 chipset then its totally not worth it; if its not the case then it solely depends on wether you like what you have or not, but in that case, if you are happy with what you have, why bother in the first place? :D

Depends entirely on the price point to get a high end chip and overclocking board. I am not convinced that socket 1155 is the way to go for high-end gear. The numbers I have seen look decent, but nothing earth-shattering.

1155 has never been about the high-end. On the contrary, it comes as a substitute for 1156, but the king performance wise is gonna be, and for a few quarters, the hexas from Intel. You get what you pay for ;)

Not next week but if the 2600K pricing isn't through the roof, I'll pick one up at the beginning of Feb.

<snip>

I think i've decided to wait until I can move to a hex core box that doesn't cost me an arm and a leg just for the cpu.

I want to build a new gaming / folding boxen for my son. I've decided to go hex core. I just have to wait a little and save up some money.

I am very keen but there is one problem though, Intel has delayed their next gen SSD's and I don't want to put a new computer together and then mess around with the drives only a couple of months later. I don't mind waiting a few months (but the upgrade itch is strong).

Yeah that's another reason i've been putting it off. I want to include an SSD but i really don't wanna go with this generation, i think this next gen will be the one where SSD's will really start to take off and become more affordable. Not to mention they might use that extra bandwidth the SATA3 connections are giving us now.

The 2600 coming out is the only one with HT right? Kinda sucky intel segmented the features so much in sandy bridge. Hopefully intel doesn't screw us when the 1366 replacement comes out as well.

If they really hit the 5Ghz mark easily as has been suggested, I'll be picking one up as soon as cpu/motherboard prices normalize. Looks like SB should basically address the whines about the large gap between mid-end and high-end bigadv ppd.

Yeah that's another reason i've been putting it off. I want to include an SSD but i really don't wanna go with this generation, i think this next gen will be the one where SSD's will really start to take off and become more affordable. Not to mention they might use that extra bandwidth the SATA3 connections are giving us now.

The 2600 coming out is the only one with HT right? Kinda sucky intel segmented the features so much in sandy bridge. Hopefully intel doesn't screw us when the 1366 replacement comes out as well.

IMHO they are doing a much better job segmenting features than on 1156. The 2600k's price of around $300 is much better than many other launch cpu's, IIRC its around where the 920 was at launch and has the added bonus of an unlocked multiplier.

I was referring to the segmenting of cpu features in the sandybridge line itself.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/sandy-bridge-microarchitecture_2.html

Looking at the chart there in the middle page, almost all those cpu's are identical except the 2600 since its got the i7 badge. The 3 i5 cpu's only vary by clockspeed. There's no inbetween model like a 2550 that maybe includes HT, or the 8megs of L3 instead of 6. If those prices are correct, why would anyone not spend the extra 7 bucks to get hte 2400?

Maybe if AMD gets their act together we'll see a sku to fill that gap.

i'll wait for the high end sandy bridges coming out in Q2 2011 to see how they stack up against the bulldozer. the lga-1155 sandy bridges are useless in my opinion.

this is lga-1155 sandy bridge on F@H..

woohoo i have a 5Ghz processor, its like omg so fast! wait why the fuck is this i7 920 still faster then me on F@H?!?!?! god damnit thats right i only have dual channel DDR3. WTF!!!!!!

end of story..

I was referring to the segmenting of cpu features in the sandybridge line itself.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/sandy-bridge-microarchitecture_2.html

Looking at the chart there in the middle page, almost all those cpu's are identical except the 2600 since its got the i7 badge. The 3 i5 cpu's only vary by clockspeed. There's no inbetween model like a 2550 that maybe includes HT, or the 8megs of L3 instead of 6. If those prices are correct, why would anyone not spend the extra 7 bucks to get hte 2400?

Maybe if AMD gets their act together we'll see a sku to fill that gap.
Thats the whole point, i5 shouldn't have hyperthreading or the extra cache. That way i5 vs i7 actually means something.

For folding I've been told that its gonna be miles better than anything we have seen both performance and power consumption, if that tells you anything.

Somehow I think all of us with SR-2's are safe for now in believing that we have the cream of the crop. :)

I don't see myself upgrading any system for a long time, if ever.
Going to be a long time before 24 threads @ 3.6ghz is not adequate enough for anything, and that's the same thing I told my wife when she said "I don't believe you" when I told her I would not be building a new computer for quite some time. I may upgrade a gpu or two at some point, but otherwise ~ my D is set. My other boxen may only have a quad and a dual, but neither of those needs much power for the purposes they serve (and I don't feel the need to splurge on 2 more SR-2 systems anyway). :D

yeah when compared to an i5. the i7's will still kill it in F@H due to the triple channel DDR3. its like saying here go have a 6970 but you can only use it on a socket A motherboard. all that potential wasted because they decided to stick with dual channel DDR3. this whole argument will change when the high end sandy bridges come out later next year.

yeah when compared to an i5. the i7's will still kill it in F@H due to the triple channel DDR3. its like saying here go have a 6970 but you can only use it on a socket A motherboard. all that potential wasted because they decided to stick with dual channel DDR3. this whole argument will change when the high end sandy bridges come out later next year.

I smell a challenge coming on...
You don't think the i7 SB will out fold a Nehalem?
What about an i5 SB vs a Nehalem?

yeah when compared to an i5. the i7's will still kill it in F@H due to the triple channel DDR3.
I can say with almost 100% certainty that you are wrong about that. Memory bandwidth does make a difference, but there isn't more than a 2-3k PPD difference between an LGA1156 i7 and an LGA1366 i7 with the same amount of cores running at the same speed. Sandy Bridge should more than make up that deficit with it's superior performance per clock and higher potential maximum overclock. Unless you have some actual evidence and/or logical reasoning to back up your comments, don't go spouting off predictions, especially when you're talking in absolutes.

i'll wait for the high end sandy bridges coming out in Q2 2011 to see how they stack up against the bulldozer. the lga-1155 sandy bridges are useless in my opinion.

woohoo i have a 5Ghz processor, its like omg so fast! wait why the fuck is this i7 920 still faster then me on F@H?!?!?! god damnit thats right i only have dual channel DDR3. WTF!!!!!!

end of story..

1366 is only about 3000 ppd faster than 1156 on a 2685 @ 4ghz. soo a 5ghz sandy would kill a 920. And i own both 1156 and 1366. Sirmonky your usually a pretty smart young fella but sometimes i think you have a brain fart :)

Last edited:

Nope. The problem with SSD is that the smaller the node you use to make your NAND, the most it wears out. So, to couterbalance that issue they need to put more NAND (so they can implement algorithms not to use the same cells; ie, a 60GB containing 80GB of NAND), which means that the SSD itself won't be much cheaper...if any, and wont be faster due to the NAND itself.

Nowadays is a really good moment to buy an SSD, but you need to stop looking at sequencial speeds because those are the ones that DO NOT MATTER. The speeds that make an SSD fly are the random ones.

A user from xtremesystems (not sure If I can name him) who uses an SR-2 with 24 threads as his 24/7 folding rig make that statement (because HE HAS an SB rig, although he won't disclose any details about it until NDA folds). So, I will believe him, because he is not the type of people that lie...and he was one of the first who got their hands on an SR-2 in the first place (a sample).

Somehow I think all of us with SR-2's are safe for now in believing that we have the cream of the crop. :)

Thats why I said that 1155 didn't come to challenge Intel hexi's, but everything else. So, of course you are safe with your SR-2, and you will be until LGA2011 comes.

But, if you compare SB with 45nm i7, the benefits in both performance and power consumption are quite big in DC not to be ignored; but if we talk about Intel 32nm processor...different story.

Back