Anyone like the LG V30?

harmattan

Supreme [H]ardness
I've had my Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 since October and looking to maybe switch to the V30. There's nothing wrong with the Xiaomi (on the contrary... apart from it not having an headphone jack), but the enhanced DAC on the V30 has me intrigued. I'm a bit of an audiophile and wanted to give it a shot, especially since it supports FLAC and a couple other loss-less encodes. I'd be using it with some high-ish end ear and headphones (UE900, Vsonics, Denon DH-5000)

Has anyone used the V30 who can report on the audio quality and features?

I have the V30+ and I love it. The audio quality that comes out of the Hi-Fi DAC is MUCH better than my buddies Note 8 or 9 or whatever the newest Note is. In my car over the AUX port there is a NOTICABLE difference in static noise and playback quality.

I used it to record a concert and it worked well and there was a noticeable improvement in the quality of bass over my video camera.

Great phone!

I own a V30 and I use my phone as my music player so the V30 was a no brainer for me. I bought it primarily for it's DAC. I have no issues with screen quality and camera; But will leave for others to comment on those items. For me it began and ended with the DAC .

I picked up a used one for a good price and it arrives today. We shall see.

Very interested in seeing how the auto calibration works across my multiple ear/headphones. Looking forward to seeing how my cheap-o Mee Sports up to Denon AH-D5000s sound.

I do remember a difference when moving from an S5 to a V20 specifically when running aux to car speakers. I never really ran a high quality pair of cans on them that could be powered sufficiently (no one would expect a phone to do 300ohm headphones well) so I can't really comment on how much it helps with headphones. Hope you can hear a difference!

I love mine, it's a great all-around especially if you care about the headphone jack. Only complaint I have are software updates speed from LG... but I knew that going in.

I love mine, it's a great all-around especially if you care about the headphone jack. Only complaint I have are software updates speed from LG... but I knew that going in.
Truth. My V20 was the first phone launched on Android 7.0 and it hasn't seen a major update since.

Truth. My V20 was the first phone launched on Android 7.0 and it hasn't seen a major update since.

The good news is that LG at least knows that's a problem. It just opened a dedicated center for software updates... which, frankly, every non-stock Android OEM needs. I still find it shameful that many vendors are releasing Oreo upgrades so late that Android P previews have been available for a while.

Got my V30 yesterday (came with Oreo). Great phone so far. Design is not as pretty as my Mi Mix 2, b ut dang, the Quad DAC is startlingly better than other phones I've used. I have tried on 3-4 head/earphones so far, all sound notably better in every way. There is a bit of blue tinge when viewing the screen at an angle, but I'd say overall a much better display than the one on my Mi Mix 2, Oneplus 5, and very comparable to my S8.

The good news is that LG at least knows that's a problem. It just opened a dedicated center for software updates... which, frankly, every non-stock Android OEM needs. I still find it shameful that many vendors are releasing Oreo upgrades so late that Android P previews have been available for a while.

I'll believe it when i see it...

I love my v30. I use mine with a pair of flc8s. Mine did develop a very faint line down the exact middle of the screen, but it has since disappeared. The only other problem i had was it kept saying "moisture detected" but i was able to reset the moisture detected warning in the phones service menu and it hasn't come back.

p.s. oh yeah, Netflix hdr playback is broken. There's a brown tint that covers the whole video like an ugly brown overlay. Apparently it's fixed with the oreo update though.

Last edited:
A little late to the party here but the V30 is amazing. I don't think I could live without the wide angle camera at this point. That being said the gcam ports saved this phone for me.

My wife and I couldn't be happier with our V30 phones. Great performance, great battery life, great camera. It has been a huge upgrade over my Galaxy S7.

A little late to the party here but the V30 is amazing. I don't think I could live without the wide angle camera at this point. That being said the gcam ports saved this phone for me.
how much did you snag one for? I am guessing TMobile might strart blowing these out for cheap. Might snag one for the wife. Her s7 edge battery is already starting to go and she could use a new phone

I've had my Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 since October and looking to maybe switch to the V30. There's nothing wrong with the Xiaomi (on the contrary... apart from it not having an headphone jack), but the enhanced DAC on the V30 has me intrigued. I'm a bit of an audiophile and wanted to give it a shot, especially since it supports FLAC and a couple other loss-less encodes. I'd be using it with some high-ish end ear and headphones (UE900, Vsonics, Denon DH-5000)

Has anyone used the V30 who can report on the audio quality and features?
Only have the V10 but the dac in it is amazing, best portable dac/cellphone/not dedicated dac I've heard so far. It even sounds noticeably better than other sources on a decidedly average car stereo, go figure.
And this all coming from someone who spent more on speaker cables than most people spend on a rig..
I would be interested to move up to the V20 or V30 in future.

After using my v30 now for around three weeks, and a few other observations:

• The DAC is by far and way the best I've ever used on a phone or portable device. Sound quality is excellent. That said, you do lose a bit of definition when the volume is below 50%
  • The phone's design is just "ok", in my view. Seems a gen behind my S8, and certainly behind Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 which is a beaute of a phone. In any case, any deficiency in design is largely nullified since I use a case
  • The phone is lightweight, noticeably so compared to other flagships I've used. Could be a pro or con, depending on your view
  • Wide angle lens is terrific -- something I use often
  • Screen is a double edged sword: better than LCD, but at low brightness blacks are grainy and undefined

how much did you snag one for? I am guessing TMobile might strart blowing these out for cheap. Might snag one for the wife. Her s7 edge battery is already starting to go and she could use a new phone
I've had one since a few weeks after release so I paid full price for mine. It's been a great device so far.

That being said the Oreo update isn't treating me kindly. Battery life is a little worse but it's not playing nice with one of my apps and is rebooting every once in a while. I think it's the gcam port but I'm still tracking it down.

I've had one since a few weeks after release so I paid full price for mine. It's been a great device so far.

That being said the Oreo update isn't treating me kindly. Battery life is a little worse but it's not playing nice with one of my apps and is rebooting every once in a while. I think it's the gcam port but I'm still tracking it down.

Yeah it's the GCAM app that's rebooting my phone too.

Back