Anyone know why I am being asked for a password to view my shared folders?

whittech

Weaksauce
hello everyone
after a format and fresh install of xp on my main computer, i set the sharing as usual so i can share my printer over the network.

in the other room, I can see my computer in the My Network Places/Workgroup Computers, but when i try to access it , it is asking me for a login and password?
Anyone know why? or what it is? because I have no login or password set on my computer?

Thanks in advance.

one of your computers is not using simple file sharing. to check to see if this is the cause, open my computer, go to TOOLS>FOLDER OPTIONS>VIEW. Scroll all the way down to the bottom of the lower section of the screen, and see if "Use Simple File Sharing" is turned on for both of them. XP Home has not choice, it ONLY DOES SIMPLE. XP Pro, however, can do either. For your purposes, I would think you'd be better off having simply file sharing on. However, this is a GAPING SECURITY HOLE, especially if you're running Wifi, and it's not locked down with encryption/MAC address tables, etc.

on the same note, my dad's computer (he's tied into my net connection and files) simply refused to keep the shared user/pass one day.

I had to create user/pass on my media sharing PC so he could access.

Had it been a customer, I would have tried to find a solution, however, I never bothered with it, as it was my personal, and after 6pm, I hate computers.

The user name he was using for that particular mapping was set to read only, no change, no delete, but using "map with a different user name" no longer applied. It literally changed overnight with no automatic updates on XP, no SP.

Anyone have a tip for that?

My issue was an automatic mapping with a different user name. Windows just refused to keep the user/pass info for the map.

doesnt simple file sharing use the guest account? which is disabled in xp sp2? i've always found the easiest way to make sure i never have problems with file/printer sharing is to just have an identical account/password (preferably strong) on every box.

Back