Anyone know where to find barebones systems and parts?

J3ph_42

Weaksauce
Does anyone know where I might start looking to get parts (barebones, graphics cards in particular, etc.) Google hasn't been too helpful. I know I can't get a completely empty chassis, but looking to built something quality on a budget as a gift, that I could service myself easily. Sorry about the cross-post, I can't figure out how to delete me thread in general hardware, and missed this sub-forum when I was looking for an appropriate place to post the first time.

Most current notebooks are easy to service. You won't save any money by building a laptop from parts (unless your only other option is Alienware :p) and of course you'll wind up being the one to support it whenever there are problems.

You can semi-build a laptop from a barebones but it's not the same as building a desktop. You are generally limited to a very narrow range of video options. You may not be able to upgrade the video card at all, even if it has a MXM slot.

Thanks both, I'll just see what falls into my budget, since building my own still means I don't get more than needed, and I will probably be servicing it myself either way.

Back