Anyone know where I can get an exact replacement PCB for a HDD

compudocs

[H]ard|Gawd
A good friend of mines cousin runs a machine business and their NAS went out and fried the PCB's on both of the HDD's in it. I have verrified this and they need the 2 weeks of data on either of the HDD's and are willing to pay upwards of $150 - $200 for a PCB for either of the HDD's to get that data back ASAP.

Does anyone know a company that specializes in replacement PCB's for HDD's?

It will probably be far easier to track down an identical hard disk, swap the PCB's on them and try to do it that way...

Obviously you will have to make sure that the model number and revision is precisely identical.

Personally, I would send the drives to somebody like Ontrack or the like and retrieve the data that way. You don't know what else has been cooked besides the PCB. It can be expensive, but backups are cheap.

What hard drives are they, just out of curiosity? *digs through HDD graveyard*

Tried that method once, it didn't work. :(

I doubt there is even a company that stocks and sells that kind of stuff to the general public. Repairing a hard drive is sadly not very practical for most of us.

you might be able to find an identical drive on eBay if it's no longer in production, but pcb swapping doesn't seem to work every time.

Ah, learn something new every day. They need better search placement. I didn't see them yesterday.

I do wonder about their "Testing Methodology." Sounds like they are just selling used parts with no warranty or return. Better than nothing I guess.

Don

Has anyone had success with this method recently ? HDD store parameters on the platters nowadays.

Turns out this HDD cannot have the PCB swapped ( others have tried ) due to a chip inside the HDD which is coded to a chip on the PCB as a security measure so this is oiut of the question :( Thanks for the help though.

http://www.OnePCBsolution.com sells them, but the BIOS chip on each one is different, and apparently with modern HDDs it has to be tuned for the particular head and servo characteristics. That company will install the BIOS from the old circuit board to the new board, for an extra $50.

Back